ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bk1

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:09 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:but you're always the pragmatist bk! go back and read czelede's post. TITCR i think

I don't know what you're talking about, I'm taking my extreme splitter ass all the way to Yale!

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:10 pm

bk1 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:but you're always the pragmatist bk! go back and read czelede's post. TITCR i think

I don't know what you're talking about, I'm taking my extreme splitter ass all the way to Yale!

Go big or go home. I took mine to Princeton Law.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:12 pm

bk1 wrote:

Congrats (if you're even being serious) but wouldn't that make you an exception to the rule? oh wait you are a URM? so not really. i don't think OP is. thus, he'd still be the exception to the rule.

I'll just stick with my lowly UVA acceptance and schol money at non t-14s.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:13 pm

czelede wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Go big or go home. I took mine to Princeton Law.

Litchfield Law here. (that's what i meant to say when i typed "UVA")

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:40 pm

czelede wrote:
Miracle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Are you the 3.07/172 we've been talking about?

If so only Cornell is surprising. Michigan takes ~3.1/170+ every year. Gulc that score is almost auto admit. Cornell though usually stays away from that low of GPA so good job getting in.

But my 2.8/176 got my flat out rejected at Cornell. And I went to a top public and majored in EE. OP is fairly close to me as an applicant. I know several people at NU who have below 3 and nobody got into Cornell.

OP should apply to all the lower t14, but he's probably only getting GULC PT and NU with W/E. There is always going to be some special exception for someone with amazing softs but it's probably not this guy.

You are arguing by one anecdote that's not very similar. I've shown people with really high LSATS not getting into schools you claimed he would.

There are plenty who didn't get in, and there are plenty who did. Just because someone is a splitter doesn't mean that the individual will get in. Look what happened to Cornell this year, most applicants with great numbers got deffered, and some even rejected. I think you miss the point. You're arguing "it's impossible, and I'm arguing it's possible". All I'm saying it's possible, and it will come down to the personal application.

Read his post again. I think you are completely missing the point. All people are saying here is that it is so completely highly improbable. Is it possible that OP can raise his gpa to a 3.0? Yes. Is it probable? Hell no. It's OP's money, and if he wants to waste it that's his call.

It comes down to the personal application when you're working within specific margins. Everyone wants to be the exception to the rule (and there are exceptions) but the pragmatic approach is to be realistic.

What does him raising his GPA to 3.0 have to do with money?

If I understand this correctly you are stating that he will not be an exception, and will not be admitted because he is not within specific margins. He is not within specific margins, and will not be because he will not be able to raise his GPA to 3.0 that will qualify him to be within margin, which equals = rejections!

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:29 am

i can't even keep track of who's arguing with who anymore! i think we're all just making the same point over and over again but with slightly different words.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:41 am

Go get WE then ed NU.

You probably have a shot at other T14 schools excluding T6 but it's impossible to predict with that big a split. Apply broad and apply early (wait for next cycle).

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:18 am

For another anecdote, i'm a 178/3.25 URM and I got waitlisted at UVA,UMN, and georgetown asked if I wanted an interview to plead my case. It is only getting harder for us out there.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:31 am

sojasoph wrote:For another anecdote, i'm a 178/3.25 URM and I got waitlisted at UVA,UMN, and georgetown asked if I wanted an interview to plead my case. It is only getting harder for us out there.

something went wrong with your application.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:32 am

well-hello-there wrote:i can't even keep track of who's arguing with who anymore! i think we're all just making the same point over and over again but with slightly different words.

lol me neither

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:05 am

Miracle wrote:
sojasoph wrote:For another anecdote, i'm a 178/3.25 URM and I got waitlisted at UVA,UMN, and georgetown asked if I wanted an interview to plead my case. It is only getting harder for us out there.

oh sorry did this not help your case? :roll:

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:31 am

sojasoph wrote:
Miracle wrote:

you made that up just to straighten your case

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:34 am

Miracle wrote:
sojasoph wrote:
Miracle wrote:

you made that up just to straighten your case

yeah i made that up, it was so fun straightening my case. :roll:

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 am

i meant to say strengthen*

you totally made that up...

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:39 am

Miracle wrote:i meant to say strengthen*

you totally made that up...

ok let me check my email again. Maybe it was all just a dream.....

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:17 am

Miracle wrote:

I tend to agree with this. UVA I can see. GULC is somewhat surprising. UMN is borderline incomprehensible unless it was YP. I am sorry to hear your cycle isn't going very well so far. Hopefully things will pick up.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:54 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Miracle wrote:

I tend to agree with this. UVA I can see. GULC is somewhat surprising. UMN is borderline incomprehensible unless it was YP. I am sorry to hear your cycle isn't going very well so far. Hopefully things will pick up.

Something went wrong...

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:43 pm

Miracle wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
Miracle wrote:

Something went wrong...

+1

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Desert Fox,

You actually agree with me?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Miracle wrote:Desert Fox,

You actually agree with me?

Yes that guy should have gotten Gtown and almost definitely UMin.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:23 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Miracle wrote:

Take a look at LSN for UMN. This year it is WL galore with a 170+. Something definitely changed in their admissions decisions this year. I have similar numbers as the OP, but I am URM. Dinged at UVA ED, Cornell, UChi, and H. In at NU and GULC after an interview request. Held at Penn and UMich. I was also WL at UMN, as was a ton of other way more qualified applicants.

To the urm poster above, take a look at cryingmonkeys LSN, I think he is a 179/3.3 and he is in at H and UVA with a full scholly. Tbh I think it matters a lot more for URMs on the overall strength of the application (statements, softs, etc) and it seems that schools are more likely to look past a low LSAT score for urms then a low cumulative gpa.

I am going to have to agree that gaining WE and an ED app to NU is the op's most sure bet at landing a T14 acceptance.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”