ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:30 pm

Miracle wrote:and you're acting like he can't do it!


I'm acting like it's highly unlikely and not worth discussing until it actually happens.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Miracle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:People just aren't impressed by a 179 when it's accompanied by a 2.X


They got you fooled.


What he said is accurate of top tier schools.


Lower tier schools care even less.


sure it is...

you 2 must be pissed at the world

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:31 pm

Miracle wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:Right, but that's a very small group and even it looks like you still can't find a single person on lsn with a 179 in OP's GPA range. Yes, OP's outcomes will likely be the same, but there aren't nearly enough data points to be talking in absolutes.

I think I remember someone on here awhile back that got into NYU with like a 3.0/180 even though there are plenty of sub 3.5/172+ folks that didn't have the same outcome.


It's so unlikely that it is as close to an absolute as you can get. Splitters are harder to predict than regular applicants, but it doesn't mean that you can't reasonable estimate the chances of somebody at slim to none.

Worth the app fee for a 5% chance at it? Sure I guess so.


I thin you're pushing it with 5%

If a person that got in Michigan with 172-3.07 would of posted here you would of said the same thing to her/him, and look what happened-they got in.


No we wouldn't. I'd tell a 3.07/172 that they have a smaller but existent shot at Michigan. Especially if they were in a tough major. There is plenty of data to support ~3.1/170+ at michigan. None for <3.0.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Miracle wrote:sure it is...

you 2 must be pissed at the world


Reality, it just hurts so good.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Miracle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Miracle wrote:
They got you fooled.


What he said is accurate of top tier schools.


Lower tier schools care even less.


sure it is...

you 2 must be pissed at the world


Sorry I got into a better school than you with a 2.8 gpa. I know what I'm fucking talking about.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:34 pm

bk1 wrote:
Miracle wrote:sure it is...

you 2 must be pissed at the world


Reality, it just hurts so good.


lets move to private, I'll listen to you. I'll be your counselor-I majored in Psychology. Whatever we talk about will stay confidential?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Miracle wrote:lets move to private, I'll listen to you. I'll be your counselor-I majored in Psychology. Whatever we talk about will stay confidential?


I feel like I'm being hit on. You've got to buy me a few drinks before I'll consent to anything.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:36 pm

Deser Fox,

Now you must be certified idiot! I got in Michigan, and you got in Northwestern. Since when is Northwestern ranked higher than Michigan? Delusional?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:36 pm

bk1 wrote:
Miracle wrote:lets move to private, I'll listen to you. I'll be your counselor-I majored in Psychology. Whatever we talk about will stay confidential?


I feel like I'm being hit on. You've got to buy me a few drinks before I'll consent to anything.


Only a hot girl would be so stubbornly insistent for no reason. Do work son.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:36 pm

bk1 wrote:
Miracle wrote:lets move to private, I'll listen to you. I'll be your counselor-I majored in Psychology. Whatever we talk about will stay confidential?


I feel like I'm being hit on. You've got to buy me a few drinks before I'll consent to anything.
\

:wink: will talk about that as well

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:37 pm

Miracle wrote:Deser Fox,

Now you must be certified idiot! I got in Michigan, and you got in Northwestern. Since when is Northwestern ranked higher than Michigan? Delusional?


In terms of big law placement it is, but I figured you only got into GULC since that is where you are going. GULC give you money or something?

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Miracle wrote:Deser Fox,

Now you must be certified idiot! I got in Michigan, and you got in Northwestern. Since when is Northwestern ranked higher than Michigan? Delusional?


In terms of big law placement it is, but I figured you only got into GULC since that is where you are going. GULC give you money or something?


I stated many times I got in Michigan, GULC, Cornell- to name a few. I didn't apply to schools such as UVA, Penn, NYU, etc. My Gpa was a litlle bit over 3.0 but under 3.1 with my fall grades.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Miracle wrote:Deser Fox,

Now you must be certified idiot! I got in Michigan, and you got in Northwestern. Since when is Northwestern ranked higher than Michigan? Delusional?


what the f? these are peer schools. because one is ranked 9th and one is ranked 10th? sometimes 11th? gimme a break - who cares??? (however both are probably better bets than gtown)

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:46 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Miracle wrote:Deser Fox,

Now you must be certified idiot! I got in Michigan, and you got in Northwestern. Since when is Northwestern ranked higher than Michigan? Delusional?


what the f? these are peer schools. because one is ranked 9th and one is ranked 10th? sometimes 11th? gimme a break - who cares??? (however both are probably better bets than gtown)


What's wrong with GULC?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Miracle wrote:What's wrong with GULC?


Objectively poor placement when compared with most of the rest of the T14.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:48 pm

bk1 wrote:
Miracle wrote:What's wrong with GULC?


Objectively poor placement when compared with most of the rest of the T14.


but still good

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Miracle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Miracle wrote:Deser Fox,

Now you must be certified idiot! I got in Michigan, and you got in Northwestern. Since when is Northwestern ranked higher than Michigan? Delusional?


In terms of big law placement it is, but I figured you only got into GULC since that is where you are going. GULC give you money or something?


I stated many times I got in Michigan, GULC, Cornell- to name a few. I didn't apply to schools such as UVA, Penn, NYU, etc.


Are you the 3.07/172 we've been talking about?

If so only Cornell is surprising. Michigan takes ~3.1/170+ every year. Gulc that score is almost auto admit. Cornell though usually stays away from that low of GPA so good job getting in.

But my 2.8/176 got my flat out rejected at Cornell. And I went to a top public and majored in EE. OP is fairly close to me as an applicant. I know several people at NU who have below 3 and nobody got into Cornell.

OP should apply to all the lower t14, but he's probably only getting GULC PT and NU with W/E. There is always going to be some special exception for someone with amazing softs but it's probably not this guy.

You are arguing by one anecdote that's not very similar. I've shown people with really high LSATS not getting into schools you claimed he would.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:50 pm

Miracle wrote:but still good


Good is relative.

Without a decent chunk of money, Cornell/GULC just don't seem worth it compared to schools like MVP or NU. (Egregious Duke trolling.)

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:53 pm

bk1 wrote:
Miracle wrote:but still good


Good is relative.

Without a decent chunk of money, Cornell/GULC just don't seem worth it compared to schools like MVP or NU. (Egregious Duke trolling.)


hope your duel pistol is ready for when Quakeroats comes a-knockin'

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Miracle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Miracle wrote:Deser Fox,

Now you must be certified idiot! I got in Michigan, and you got in Northwestern. Since when is Northwestern ranked higher than Michigan? Delusional?


In terms of big law placement it is, but I figured you only got into GULC since that is where you are going. GULC give you money or something?


I stated many times I got in Michigan, GULC, Cornell- to name a few. I didn't apply to schools such as UVA, Penn, NYU, etc.


Are you the 3.07/172 we've been talking about?

If so only Cornell is surprising. Michigan takes ~3.1/170+ every year. Gulc that score is almost auto admit. Cornell though usually stays away from that low of GPA so good job getting in.

But my 2.8/176 got my flat out rejected at Cornell. And I went to a top public and majored in EE. OP is fairly close to me as an applicant. I know several people at NU who have below 3 and nobody got into Cornell.

OP should apply to all the lower t14, but he's probably only getting GULC PT and NU with W/E. There is always going to be some special exception for someone with amazing softs but it's probably not this guy.

You are arguing by one anecdote that's not very similar. I've shown people with really high LSATS not getting into schools you claimed he would.


There are plenty who didn't get in, and there are plenty who did. Just because someone is a splitter doesn't mean that the individual will get in. Look what happened to Cornell this year, most applicants with great numbers got deffered, and some even rejected. I think you miss the point. You're arguing "it's impossible, and I'm arguing it's possible". All I'm saying it's possible, and it will come down to the personal application.

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby czelede » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:58 pm

Miracle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Are you the 3.07/172 we've been talking about?

If so only Cornell is surprising. Michigan takes ~3.1/170+ every year. Gulc that score is almost auto admit. Cornell though usually stays away from that low of GPA so good job getting in.

But my 2.8/176 got my flat out rejected at Cornell. And I went to a top public and majored in EE. OP is fairly close to me as an applicant. I know several people at NU who have below 3 and nobody got into Cornell.

OP should apply to all the lower t14, but he's probably only getting GULC PT and NU with W/E. There is always going to be some special exception for someone with amazing softs but it's probably not this guy.

You are arguing by one anecdote that's not very similar. I've shown people with really high LSATS not getting into schools you claimed he would.


There are plenty who didn't get in, and there are plenty who did. Just because someone is a splitter doesn't mean that the individual will get in. Look what happened to Cornell this year, most applicants with great numbers got deffered, and some even rejected. I think you miss the point. You're arguing "it's impossible, and I'm arguing it's possible". All I'm saying it's possible, and it will come down to the personal application.


Read his post again. I think you are completely missing the point. All people are saying here is that it is so completely highly improbable. Is it possible that OP can raise his gpa to a 3.0? Yes. Is it probable? Hell no. It's OP's money, and if he wants to waste it that's his call.

It comes down to the personal application when you're working within specific margins. Everyone wants to be the exception to the rule (and there are exceptions) but the pragmatic approach is to be realistic.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:59 pm

The guy asked "What are my chances" not what is possible.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:01 pm

man, this thread blew up like wut.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The guy asked "What are my chances" not what is possible.


You've got to dream though!

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:07 pm

bk1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The guy asked "What are my chances" not what is possible.


You've got to dream though!


but you're always the pragmatist bk! go back and read czelede's post. TITCR i think




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests