ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goldenbearrec

ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby goldenbearrec » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:12 am

What are my chances for ED at Columbia and UPenn?

GPA: 2.8 (2F, 2D)
LSAT: 179
Undergrad: Top public, majored in Applied Math.
Work Exp: Will have 6 months at the time of application, but worked extensively throughout my undergrad years.

Thanks for your input.

canuck

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby canuck » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Sorry but I doubt you have any chance. With that fantastic LSAT I am almost inclined to think you should return to school and try to boost your GPA. Alternatively, you could work for a couple of years and try ED to Northwestern.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:59 pm

canuck wrote:Sorry but I doubt you have any chance. With that fantastic LSAT I am almost inclined to think you should return to school and try to boost your GPA. Alternatively, you could work for a couple of years and try ED to Northwestern.

Once you get your first undergraduate degree, you cant boost your gpa. it is set in stone

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:09 pm

Both are reaches, but UPenn might be more likely to bite. Either way ED to one of them and when that fails, ED to UVA, home of the splitters (although your numbers may be a bit too extreme for even them!). Good luck!

canuck

Postby canuck » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:14 pm

northwood wrote:
canuck wrote:Sorry but I doubt you have any chance. With that fantastic LSAT I am almost inclined to think you should return to school and try to boost your GPA. Alternatively, you could work for a couple of years and try ED to Northwestern.

Once you get your first undergraduate degree, you cant boost your gpa. it is set in stone

This may be true at some schools, but I know lots of people who have returned for a semester or two to boost their GPA.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:16 pm

i'm pretty sure UVA has a quite distinct cutoff at 3.0 for extreme splitters - anything below that hurts their GPA medians too much to make even a 179 worth it - and you are considerably below that at 2.8. barring a miracle, i'd say no way for any of them.

actually, i agree with one above poster to get some meaningful work experience in and try NU if you are set on going to a top school

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Any upward trend and/or explanation for your GPA?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:35 pm

canuck wrote:
northwood wrote:

This may be true at some schools, but I know lots of people who have returned for a semester or two to boost their GPA.

It's true for your LSAC GPA, which is all that matters. They don't calculate into your official GPA any grades obtained after you were awarded your first undergrad degree.

Woozy

Postby Woozy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:40 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:i'm pretty sure UVA has a quite distinct cutoff at 3.0 for extreme splitters - anything below that hurts their GPA medians too much to make even a 179 worth it - and you are considerably below that at 2.8. barring a miracle, i'd say no way for any of them.

actually, i agree with one above poster to get some meaningful work experience in and try NU if you are set on going to a top school

A 2.0 has the same effect on the median as a 3.0 at these schools. Nevertheless, you are correct that many schools do seem to have ~3.0 floors.

OP: Your chances at either Chi or Penn are not very good. ED can be a big boost for a splitter but without work experience it will be difficult to convince them you will take law school seriously.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Work experience + ED at NU

or ED at GULC PT

Enjoy.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:51 pm

UVa ED is probably your best bet although not a shoe in. Other sub-3.0's have gotten in, especially early in the cycle but they seem to be having a harder and harder 3.0 floor as of late. Since they do 15 day turn around, you should ED UVa first and then ED GULC PT after that (which you have a decent chance at).

However, your absolute best bet for T14 is NU ED. If you were to get at least a year of full time work experience post graduation then NU ED would be a shoe in. With only 6 months it is highly unlikely.

Columbia is definitely out and though I have seen Penn waitlist some sub-3.0's, I have never seen any get in so I would say it is definitely not worth it.

paulinaporizkova wrote: - anything below that hurts their GPA medians too much to make even a 179 worth it -

/facepalm

And this is why future lawyers were never math majors.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:55 pm

GULC is likely going to make Part Time to Full Time transfers next to impossible. I would not adivse anyone to ED to the PT program who does not have PT as a first preference in the first place. IMO, with a 179 you may get in if you ED FT anyway.

glitched

Postby glitched » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:59 pm

bk1 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote: - anything below that hurts their GPA medians too much to make even a 179 worth it -

/facepalm

She meant mean. For the love of God, she meant mean.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:00 pm

glitched wrote:She meant mean. For the love of God, she meant mean.

Not sold if she actually did. And even if that is what she meant, then it's still dumb, albeit for a different reason.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
glitched wrote:She meant mean. For the love of God, she meant mean.

Not sold if she actually did. And even if that is what she meant, then it's still dumb, albeit for a different reason.

you guys, i'm a man......

jk. ok, everyone has their facepalm moments so this is mine. i think i know what i meant originally, but i'm going to concede this one. at some point, a 180 will cease to atone for a low-ass GPA, even if your initials are U.V.A., amiright? median vs. mean, they start with the same fucking letter don't they? i swear i'm not dumm, TLS police. doun't revoke my akseptances.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:44 pm

Law school predictor has OP' as "weak consider" for Columbia, and "consider" for Penn.

Michigan has him as a "strong consider", and Cornell as "admit"

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:51 pm

bk1 wrote:UVa ED is probably your best bet although not a shoe in. Other sub-3.0's have gotten in, especially early in the cycle but they seem to be having a harder and harder 3.0 floor as of late. Since they do 15 day turn around, you should ED UVa first and then ED GULC PT after that (which you have a decent chance at).

However, your absolute best bet for T14 is NU ED. If you were to get at least a year of full time work experience post graduation then NU ED would be a shoe in. With only 6 months it is highly unlikely.

Columbia is definitely out and though I have seen Penn waitlist some sub-3.0's, I have never seen any get in so I would say it is definitely not worth it.

/facepalm

Don't you mean "shoo in"?
What the hell is a "shoe in"?

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:58 pm

well-hello-there wrote:
bk1 wrote:UVa ED is probably your best bet although not a shoe in. Other sub-3.0's have gotten in, especially early in the cycle but they seem to be having a harder and harder 3.0 floor as of late. Since they do 15 day turn around, you should ED UVa first and then ED GULC PT after that (which you have a decent chance at).

/facepalm

Don't you mean "shoo in"?
What the hell is a "shoe in"?

Actually, I looked this up once, and technically it should be "shoo-in" (with a hyphen) - it has something to do with horse racing, I forget what exactly. However, the phrase has been so heavily bastardized that "shoe in" is now generally accepted as well, as many like to think it has something to do with having "one foot in the door."

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:01 pm

amorfati wrote:Actually, I looked this up once, and technically it should be "shoo-in" (with a hyphen) - it has something to do with horse racing, I forget what exactly. However, the phrase has been so heavily bastardized that "shoe in" is now generally accepted as well, as many like to think it has something to do with having "one foot in the door."

accepted by who? all the people who don't even know what they're saying?

and getting one foot in the door is not the same as being shooed-in.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:07 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:i'm pretty sure UVA has a quite distinct cutoff at 3.0 for extreme splitters - anything below that hurts their GPA medians too much to make even a 179 worth it - and you are considerably below that at 2.8. barring a miracle, i'd say no way for any of them.

I heavily disagree. He can get in T-14 with his LSAT. Michigan and Cornell will let him in before UVA does. Splitters are hard to predict, but he has a shot.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:33 pm

@amorfati: Thanks for the interesting info.

well-hello-there wrote:
amorfati wrote:Actually, I looked this up once, and technically it should be "shoo-in" (with a hyphen) - it has something to do with horse racing, I forget what exactly. However, the phrase has been so heavily bastardized that "shoe in" is now generally accepted as well, as many like to think it has something to do with having "one foot in the door."

Oh holier than thou grammar nerd how ever can I redeem myself in your eyes?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:40 pm

Miracle wrote:

I heavily disagree. He can get in T-14 with his LSAT. Michigan and Cornell will let him in before UVA does. Splitters are hard to predict, but he has a shot.

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:41 pm

well-hello-there wrote:

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:18 am

bk1 wrote:@amorfati: Thanks for the interesting info.

well-hello-there wrote:

Oh holier than thou grammar nerd how ever can I redeem myself in your eyes?

actually, i wasn't correcting you for improper grammar. What you did is much, MUCH WORSE! I'm not sure it's possible to redeem yourself from this one but if you let me borrow that gandalf-magneto tee shirt, i'll put in a good word for you.

n-e-way...just thought it would be funny/ironic to point out your mistake in a post where you are pointing out paulina's mistake....double facepalm!

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Miracle wrote:

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

You're right. You do! :roll:

To say that OP can't get in any T-14 is absurd.

You know more than law school predictor that's actually based on real data... :roll:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”