Loans

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
StillHerexxx

Loans

Postby StillHerexxx » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:20 pm

I don't feel like looking up info on my promissory note, so here is the question: when should I file to have my undergrad loans deferred? I sent my applications out, but as we all know, that doesn't guarantee going to law school. Should I send the paper work in when I get acceptances or wait until I send my deposit in wherever I end up?

StillHerexxx

Re: Loans

Postby StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Someone has to have the answer to this. Humor me.

Heat

Postby Heat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:07 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Someone has to have the answer to this. Humor me.

I don't have an answer to your question but common sense would say that if you look at the forms you need to fill out for a deferral it asks what the reason is. Somewhere on the form I'd assume you'll have to list what law school you would be attending. If you have to give any specific information about the school you'll be attending you'd be hard pressed to submit an application prior to deciding on a school.

Like I said I know nothing about this process, I'm just humoring you.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:20 pm

Yeah, I was aware of that. I will have to check out my promissory note, I am not sure if I need to be simply accepted or actually have my deposit in for a school. I guess either way, I should have my deposit in before my 6 month grace period is over.

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:56 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Yeah, I was aware of that. I will have to check out my promissory note, I am not sure if I need to be simply accepted or actually have my deposit in for a school. I guess either way, I should have my deposit in before my 6 month grace period is over.

Generally, you will have to actually be there and enrolled. Some schools participate in the National Clearinghouse where your loan providers will automatically be notified that you are enrolled.

FYI- you should drop out of law school now. Before you send in that deposit, run by JDU or one of the scambloggers why you want to go and what your numbers are. Seriously. They will give you the harsh reality of what awaits you and your undergrad student loans.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:04 pm

NoJob wrote:
StillHerexxx wrote:Yeah, I was aware of that. I will have to check out my promissory note, I am not sure if I need to be simply accepted or actually have my deposit in for a school. I guess either way, I should have my deposit in before my 6 month grace period is over.

Generally, you will have to actually be there and enrolled. Some schools participate in the National Clearinghouse where your loan providers will automatically be notified that you are enrolled.

FYI- you should drop out of law school now. Before you send in that deposit, run by JDU or one of the scambloggers why you want to go and what your numbers are. Seriously. They will give you the harsh reality of what awaits you and your undergrad student loans.

Do we really have to have stuff like this in every single thread? Can we save the doom and gloom for people that actually ask for advice on whether or not to go to law school? It's getting kind of annoying.

To OP: Mine were automatically deferred but I was within the grace period

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
NoJob wrote:

Do we really have to have stuff like this in every single thread? Can we save the doom and gloom for people that actually ask for advice on whether or not to go to law school? It's getting kind of annoying.

To OP: Mine were automatically deferred but I was within the grace period

Yeah. The 0ls need to know. If your annoyance prevents one lemming from going to law school, then it was definitely worth it

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Yeah, he's been here for over three months and has 300 posts but he might not have heard yet that the economy sucks and there are too many law schools and not enough jobs.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:24 am

I know all about the risks. I am going to see if I get enough money to make going to law school in the fall worth it. If not, I am interning at an insurance company until july and making good money. Have other connections at the company so I should be able to get a job there if I need to take a year or more off.

My grace period will end a couple of months before classes start, but I assume I will be enrolled during the grace period. I will have to give the loan holders a call monday.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”