Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby justadude55 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Curious as to what the choice is and if these schools generally match each other.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby fathergoose » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Don't know if they match but if they don't...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZwLsvO6YTw

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby justadude55 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:42 pm

fathergoose wrote:Don't know if they match but if they don't...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZwLsvO6YTw

I have had a very polarizing cycle in that i have a very solid LSAT and a not great but not egregiously bad GPA, and have overcome serious hardship but also had serious disciplinary action at my UG. schools either really like me or don't want to have anything to do with me.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:44 pm

ND is better but not by a lot and they are bother FTTs. I'd go to IUB. A lot less debt.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby justadude55 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:ND is better but not by a lot and they are bother FTTs. I'd go to IUB. A lot less debt.

what's an ftt?

obviously i know ND is a little better, but don't know what the value b/w 22 and 27 is.

additionally, i know ND has more prestige and a more dedicated alumni pool but again i don't know the quantitative value of this.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:47 pm

justadude55 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:ND is better but not by a lot and they are bother FTTs. I'd go to IUB. A lot less debt.

what's an ftt?

obviously i know ND is a little better, but don't know what the value b/w 22 and 27 is.

additionally, i know ND has more prestige and a more dedicated alumni pool but again i don't know the quantitative value of this.


First tier toilet. Both schools have had atrocious placement in big firms since the economy crashed. At least with IUB you are looking at small debt.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby northwood » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:49 pm

go with the bigger scholarship.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby justadude55 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:49 pm

you'd take t-20 at sticker over these 2?

my cycle has been let's throw a lot of money or reject so my options might be free vs. sticker to a school ranked 10 or less placements better.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby northwood » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:53 pm

if you are talking about rankings in the USNWR I dont really see where 22 is so much better than 27. They are peer schools. Which city. region do you like? what are your goals for after law school? Where do you want to work, and which one will help you get there? How comfortable are you with taking on the extra debt( if you go with the smaller scholly offer?) Are tehre any stipulations for the scholarships? Assume you will graduate at median from each school. which one makes the most sense to you to graduate from? Do you want to be associated with ND forever? IU-B ?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:58 pm

justadude55 wrote:you'd take t-20 at sticker over these 2?

my cycle has been let's throw a lot of money or reject so my options might be free vs. sticker to a school ranked 10 or less placements better.


huh?

also, go to IU....why anyone on earth would want to spend 3 years at notre dame (and PAY THEM MONEY to boot) beats the shit out of me

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby justadude55 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:27 pm

northwood wrote:if you are talking about rankings in the USNWR I dont really see where 22 is so much better than 27. They are peer schools. Which city. region do you like? what are your goals for after law school? Where do you want to work, and which one will help you get there? How comfortable are you with taking on the extra debt( if you go with the smaller scholly offer?) Are tehre any stipulations for the scholarships? Assume you will graduate at median from each school. which one makes the most sense to you to graduate from? Do you want to be associated with ND forever? IU-B ?

No unreasonable stipulations.

Nd is good academic standing.

IU is good standing + no getting into trouble.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Pretty easily IUB.

ND isn't much better than IUB.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby justadude55 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:34 pm

If w&m would give a full ride, are they a better choice career wise - any state with 6 figures is my goal.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:40 pm

justadude55 wrote:If w&m would give a full ride, are they a better choice career wise - any state with 6 figures is my goal.


You should stop aiming for a 6 figure salary or you are going to be miserable.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:42 pm

William and Mary full ride > IUB full ride. Unless you want Indiana.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:William and Mary full ride > IUB full ride. Unless you want Indiana.


Maybe. But I don't think it's better enough to override even a small preference between Indian and Virginia. The obvious answer is choose where you'd prefer considering cost is similar. The employment difference is negligible compared to that.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:47 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:William and Mary full ride > IUB full ride. Unless you want Indiana.


I'd probably agree.

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby SrLaw » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:48 pm

ND was my top choice until I started reading a bit more into their OCI/prospects. Now, I would not attend Notre Dame unless a full ride was on the table. Take Indiana.

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby RMstratosphere » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:50 pm

IUB without question.

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby ATR » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:William and Mary full ride > IUB full ride. Unless you want Indiana.

I would agree.

OP, out of your two real choices, go with Indiana.

weis14
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Notre Dame 60K VS. IU: Bloomington 120K

Postby weis14 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:36 pm

OP - Do you really want to live in South Bend for 3 years? Bloomington is consistently ranked as one of the best college towns in the country. Combine that with the additional money and this seems like a no-brainer to me. (BTW Notre Dame I really wanted to attend ND, but I was waitlisted. I received a full ride from IUB and have never looked back.)




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: patrickkpaul and 6 guests