"in review" - send addendum to stress why it's my #1?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
solarae

"in review" - send addendum to stress why it's my #1?

Postby solarae » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:30 am

So, Pittsburgh is SO important to me because my fiance goes to LECOM's greensburg campus 40 min away, and it'll give us an opportunity to live together or nearby for the next 3 years. But i just re-read my submitted essay and not only did I make a freaking typo, but I just didn't do that good of a job stressing "why pitt."

I have been under review since the 17th. Anyone think I would benefit by sending an addendum to indicate more reasons 'why pitt?' i can find more faculty that i hadn't already name-dropped, and mention the fiance thing?

frantic!! i am dying to get into pitt and my numbers are on the low end.

thank you in advance.

fundamentallybroken

Re: "in review" - send addendum to stress why it's my #1?

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:15 pm

Don't know if it would help, but I certainly don't think it would hurt.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:20 pm

Since the 17th of January? I think it might be early to send a LOCI.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:39 pm

did this a couple months ago for a school i had the numbers for (it was a top 10) - got rejected anyway.

solarae

Postby solarae » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:41 pm

thanks all

what's LOCI mean? letter of... =P

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:42 pm

solarae wrote:thanks all

what's LOCI mean? letter of... =P

... continued interest

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:44 pm

Probably not going to help you. If anything, it will make you seem annoying.

solarae

Postby solarae » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:51 pm

i think youre right.. especially because the more I look at it, I really can't find anything else to say about Pitt. I already mentioned everything that relates to me and my PS, I just didn't act very excited about it. It was one of the first statements I wrote. Now that I've written tons of them, I'm much better at it.
And I really can't tell if it's too unprofessional to mention my fiance.

solarae

Postby solarae » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:40 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:did this a couple months ago for a school i had the numbers for (it was a top 10) - got rejected anyway.

how long was it?

lawschoolnonsense

Postby lawschoolnonsense » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:46 pm

solarae wrote:So, Pittsburgh is SO important to me because my fiance goes to LECOM's greensburg campus 40 min away, and it'll give us an opportunity to live together or nearby for the next 3 years. But i just re-read my submitted essay and not only did I make a freaking typo, but I just didn't do that good of a job stressing "why pitt."

I have been under review since the 17th. Anyone think I would benefit by sending an addendum to indicate more reasons 'why pitt?' i can find more faculty that i hadn't already name-dropped, and mention the fiance thing?

thank you in advance.

If you're desperate to be near your fiance, apply to Duquesne. Everyone in Pittsburgh thinks that Duquesne Law is like Harvard anyway.

solarae

Postby solarae » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:52 pm

lawschoolnonsense wrote:
solarae wrote:So, Pittsburgh is SO important to me because my fiance goes to LECOM's greensburg campus 40 min away, and it'll give us an opportunity to live together or nearby for the next 3 years. But i just re-read my submitted essay and not only did I make a freaking typo, but I just didn't do that good of a job stressing "why pitt."

thank you in advance.

If you're desperate to be near your fiance, apply to Duquesne. Everyone in Pittsburgh thinks that Duquesne Law is like Harvard anyway.

I totally wanted to, but I don't want any catholic stuff crammed down my throat. I think after a few mentions of abortion or other moral crap I'd be sent to the crazy house.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:56 pm

if you are just in review remeber that pittsburgh can take forever to be in review. There are people in the pitt thread who have been in review since end of november, early part of december.

apply to duquesne. You wont have to take any religious law classes, unless you want to.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:57 pm

solarae wrote:I totally wanted to, but I don't want any catholic stuff crammed down my throat. I think after a few mentions of abortion or other moral crap I'd be sent to the crazy house.

Ignorant statement is ignorant.

Are you directly from UG?

solarae

Postby solarae » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:59 pm

no.. sorry i dont mean to sound ignorant. I heard from friends who attended religious schools that it's horrible for atheists and i believed them.

i'm 26.5 and have supported myself since 18 and also traveled the world. i am super cultured and not ignorant about much.. except maybe law school. i just don't know if i want to be a religious environment for 3 years.

lawschoolnonsense

Postby lawschoolnonsense » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:01 pm

solarae wrote:
lawschoolnonsense wrote:

thank you in advance.

I totally wanted to, but I don't want any catholic stuff crammed down my throat. I think after a few mentions of abortion or other moral crap I'd be sent to the crazy house.

I'm from the Pittsburgh area. Duquesne as an institution could really just be called Catholic by affiliation. Conservative Catholicism is essentially non-existent on that campus. The same goes for Seton Hill (where LECOM's campus is). There may well be Catholics on the administration and faculty, but they're all generally pretty left-leaning. The same goes for the few Holy Ghost priests that DUQ has on campus. In all likelihood, they would cheerfully welcome your pro-abortion perspective. The only relatively conservative school in the area is St. Vincent College.

If that was your only reason for not applying, then you really don't have a good reason at all.

solarae

Postby solarae » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:03 pm

well dang, thanks for the information. I'm excited now and totally going to apply. I mean, besides for being T4, I am happy to have a backup which would be in my city of choice.

thanks everyone! such a good idea! :)

lawschoolnonsense

Postby lawschoolnonsense » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:05 pm

solarae wrote:well dang, thanks for the information. I'm excited now and totally going to apply. I mean, besides for being T4, I am happy to have a backup which would be in my city of choice.

thanks everyone! such a good idea! :)

No problem. If you have any additional questions about Pittsburgh or Greensburg, just PM me. I can help you out. I'm pretty familiar with both, especially Greensburg.

solarae

Postby solarae » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:01 pm

ahem, last bit of advice needed..

my PS is all about science and astronomy and space law. do you think this is going to be weird to send to a religious school, or like you've said they're pretty liberal?

lawschoolnonsense

Postby lawschoolnonsense » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:02 pm

solarae wrote:ahem, last bit of advice needed..

my PS is all about science and astronomy and space law. do you think this is going to be weird to send to a religious school, or like you've said they're pretty liberal?

I don't think it matters. You might want to first check and see if they have the relevant coursework. If they don't, then they have no real reason to admit you.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Its not like Catholics don't believe in space, or science... unless your PS talks about how Creationism is BS or something like that, you will be fine. A personal statement is to get to know you as a person. Don't change it just because the school has some Catholic affiliation.

Now if its Liberty or Regent University, well they really don't believe in science. But Catholic is fine, I mean almost every school has had a religious affiliation at some point.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:28 pm

iShotFirst wrote:Its not like Catholics don't believe in space, or science... unless your PS talks about how Creationism is BS or something like that, you will be fine. A personal statement is to get to know you as a person. Don't change it just because the school has some Catholic affiliation.

Now if its Liberty or Regent University, well they really don't believe in science. But Catholic is fine, I mean almost every school has had a religious affiliation at some point.

I lol'd at the first part. I doubt Creationism would be a suitable PS topic, regardless of the institution where you're applying.

GreenHeels

Postby GreenHeels » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:00 pm

I gotta say, I just lol'd at this OP all the way down. First concerned about being in review for three days, then concerned about getting religious dogma shoved down throat at a Catholic school, concerned about referencing fiance as appearing unprofessional, concerned about whether PS reflects some kind of hippie or astral viewpoint that Catholics will find unappealing...

And somewhere in there managed to say how unignorant she is (I can only assume from the tone and writing style OP is female)...

WHILE AT A T4!

T4, folks. It's time to be honest with ourselves, for our own benefit. If we're at a T4, we need to make a serious assessment of our rank in the class. If we're not one of the top 2 kids or so at that school, we need to make a new career choice. There. Are. No. Jobs. For. T4.

Note: Saying No jobs means No Jobs for MOST KIDS graduating. Save your "My brother went to Pitt last year and got a job" stories. That is not the point. None of the kids entering Pitt this year came in going "Well, I'm definitely one of the ones who won't get a job." Everyone thinks they're special and will end up on top. The very large majority of them are wrong. The legal market cannot support every median kid from a T4. The law schools' figures are wildly inaccurate. Do. Not. Go. To. A. T4. Go to med school or nursing school, where there are actual personnel shortages in the industry.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:01 pm

GreenHeels wrote:Go to med school or nursing school, where there are actual personnel shortages in the industry.

FTFY.

GreenHeels

Postby GreenHeels » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:04 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
GreenHeels wrote:Go to med school or nursing school, where there are actual personnel shortages in the industry.

FTFY.

Hm, I actually thought someone would jump on the med school thing.

Nurses are in MASSIVE demand right now, make something in area of 80k+ (more for nurse practitioners; 100k easy), generally work three-four (admittedly long) days a week, and require two years of school or less. Oh, and the job is basically giving shots and washing old ass. As long as you're in for hanging around death and smelling like hospitals, nursing is a fantastic industry right now.

Shit, if I wasn't good at this law thing and afraid of the "murse" stigma, I'd prolly go for it.

Edit - I shot a bit high on starting nurse salaries. In 2008, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics, average nurse salary was 60k-ish. 25% made more than 67k. Easily better than a mid-, small-, public-law 30-70k gig.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:08 pm

solarae wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:did this a couple months ago for a school i had the numbers for (it was a top 10) - got rejected anyway.

how long was it?

maybe a couple paragraphs. but the point i was trying to make is i really don't think it would have made any difference. i mean, for all they know you could be sending that to every school you haven't heard from yet to boost your chances at all of them and keep your options open as much as possible. the only thing that screams this is an ED contract

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”