How does this affect my chances of getting in ls

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dahlyn

How does this affect my chances of getting in ls

Postby Dahlyn » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:24 am

My ug from Pitt '99 and I have an MBA from Duquesne '01. My gpa in b school, 10 years ago was 3.6 I started in the mortgage industry due to lack of jobs in the finance field after 9/11. I ended up owning a nationally licensed mortgage company(one of the few honest ones) but was regulated out of business by the states we received most of our business from. I work for while for a small financial planning firm I was in the process of buying but the deal fell through. I then worked for a sales consulting/training company. I left there to work for a start up currency trading fund. It ended up failing due to the partner who was in charge of running the business developing cancer and stepping away.

I have taken a several law related classes.

Advanced estate planning - Duq law - B+ - no idea what I was getting into...can't believe they let an MBA student take it
Contract Law - Duq B school - A, highest grade in class
Criminal procedure - Pitt ug - A
Constitional Law type class - Pitt ug - A

I am applying to Pitt and Duquesne. Does all/some of this not matter, help, or hurt my chances at getting into to Law school. I haven't taken my LSATs.

Dahlyn

Re: How does this affect my chances of getting in ls

Postby Dahlyn » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:27 am

I think I put this in the wrong place. I reposted this in the "what are my chances forum"

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:46 am

Dahlyn wrote:I think I put this in the wrong place. I reposted this in the "what are my chances forum"

Yes it should be there. You could see if the mod could move it so it doesn't get locked.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:02 am

The "several law related classes" probably won't matter (read: won't matter). Business experiences are great soft's and are helpful. But take that LSAT.

serdog

Postby serdog » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:27 am

10 years out the LSAT is a huge deal.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:52 am

Dahlyn wrote:My ug from Pitt '99 and I have an MBA from Duquesne '01. My gpa in b school, 10 years ago was 3.6 I started in the mortgage industry due to lack of jobs in the finance field after 9/11. I ended up owning a nationally licensed mortgage company(one of the few honest ones) but was regulated out of business by the states we received most of our business from. I work for while for a small financial planning firm I was in the process of buying but the deal fell through. I then worked for a sales consulting/training company. I left there to work for a start up currency trading fund. It ended up failing due to the partner who was in charge of running the business developing cancer and stepping away.

I have taken a several law related classes.

Advanced estate planning - Duq law - B+ - no idea what I was getting into...can't believe they let an MBA student take it
Contract Law - Duq B school - A, highest grade in class
Criminal procedure - Pitt ug - A
Constitional Law type class - Pitt ug - A

I am applying to Pitt and Duquesne. Does all/some of this not matter, help, or hurt my chances at getting into to Law school. I haven't taken my LSATs.

I don't think it matters much at all.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:55 am

Your extensive business experience should make you an attractive candidate to many law schools. The courses do not matter, however.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”