Anywhere that keeps/posts average 1L GPAs for schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sethc

Anywhere that keeps/posts average 1L GPAs for schools?

Postby sethc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm looking for some kind of database or list or anything that has something that will help me get an idea of what the average or range of GPAs are after 1L year for any/all schools? Or is that information published at all? I found a good Wikipedia article with a number of schools listed, but the sources on them are outdated or just some "alumni feedback" with a guesstimate. I scanned through LSAC but couldn't find anything immediately.

I'm planning on transferring and just want a headstart on what my options could/couldn't be. Thanks.

TruffleMomma

Re: Anywhere that keeps/posts average 1L GPAs for schools?

Postby TruffleMomma » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:31 pm

Wow- here (UA-Fayetteville) it is obvious... the median grade must be a B-... No exceptions. You are competing against your classmates, plain and simple. Therefore, everyone could know an exceptional amount of information about the topics graded; however, that will not be enough... you must be better than others in your same level. It gets a bit better in 2L classes because there are not 149 others taking the same courses. But still, if there are only 10 in your class, you can count on no more than 2-A's... and we don't "do" A+....

sethc

Postby sethc » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:30 pm

Yeah, that's right on target with what my research has shown. Your school is actually 1 of the potential transfer schools I have in my pool of potentials at this point. If memory serves, I was impressed at how explicitly and detailed their x-fer requirements were as per their website (could be wrong) but that doesn't exactly help me with what I'm looking for, but my OP was a bit ambiguous so my bad.

I go to one of the lowly T3/4's that do not operate in a "traditional" sense, especially with regard to grades/grading and especially rankings. Partly because of their semester/term format, I imagine. We also don't do the A+ B+ C+ etc style, but just due to the unpredictable # of matriculating students at the beginning of each term, it's tough to get a good pulse on what truly represents the "median" or even a "good" semester or 1L GPA, to be honest. Their rankings each term are predicated on "credits earned" (not sure if this is the norm or not) and I've still yet to figure out the exact definition of that because of their flexibility with class schedules. For example, I took 4 out of a ceiling of 5 classes Fall '10 and thus have 12 total credits right now because I passed all 4 as opposed to 5 & 15, respectively. So, I'm pretty sure my ranking won't be the same as John Doe who took 5 classes unless I completely misunderstood their Policy Manual which is entirely possible.

But back to the point - the school doesn't offer anything in the way of reference aside from the rankings from the semester preceding the one I'm in and that's pretty much their SOP because I emailed the Registrar about that particular question. I do get your point about 150 students vs 10 students as it relates to grading as well as transferring. It's less about who got which grade and the distribution of As/Bs/Cs etc and more about trying to have some kind of concrete metric to gauge how good my 1st semester was.

Make sense?? I hope that helped haha

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:49 pm

If what you say above is accurate (more credits better ranking), then that is the worst way to rank an individual.

sethc

Postby sethc » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:22 am

Oh believe me I completely agree with what you're saying. I didn't mean to come off as trying to justify or rationalize why they do it that way or anything like that - I was just trying to illustrate what I was looking for & why. Also, I'm definitely not 100% certain that what I said is completely accurate, though I am under the impression that it is.

I'm not ashamed of where I go, to be honest, but I do take issue with the way they do a lot of things and the reasons given by them for doing them that way. It sorta sucks for me since I've planned on transferring simply because I began with a full-load (15 creds/5 classes) and dropped down to 4 before the "W" period just to make sure I didn't have TOO much of a class load which, in any case, bad grades would certainly not have helped me transfer. Now that I am content with my 1st term grades, I sort of wish I had been able to take 5 this semester but that just wasn't in the cards for a number of reasons that were more or less out of my hands. Oh well, it sounds like my best bet is to stick with the transferapps Yahoo Group and whatever other data I can scrape together.

My biggest, most alarming concern right now is the obvious conflict of interest the professors/faculty have here regarding students transferring. That's why I am so hesitant about asking anyone other than classmates for information that I feel to be free of $$$ bias. I did have 1 amazing professor that has given me some help (LOR + words of wisdom) and, in not so many words, he pretty much told me that talking to most of the faculty and professors here about the topic of transferring = waste of time, which makes sense, but it just is another shitty, unfortunate aspect of being a T3/4 I suppose.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”