How Do I present my gap in college? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thekunstis

New

How Do I present my gap in college?

Post by thekunstis » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:49 pm

I attended my first two years of college in a regular fashion (15 credits a semester). After fall semester of my junior year I took the next spring semester off and volunteered the next six months for a poverty-relief organization abroad. When I returned in the summer I transferred to a different college and attended classes on a part time basis (6-9 credits Summer and Fall semester). This allowed me to continue working for the organization's US affiliate while simultaneously completing my degree. The next spring semester I once again was invited to volunteer abroad and accepted, returning again in the summer to complete some more credits. I am now applying and notice that most schools require an addendum explaining gaps in college. I want to present my situation in the most positive of ways?

dr123

Gold

Re: How Do I present my gap in college?

Post by dr123 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:50 pm

I think you just did, homie.

thekunstis

New

Post by thekunstis » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:52 pm

dr123 wrote:I think you just did, homie.
LOL!

Does the explanation imply that i did not take school seriously?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:55 pm

no dude, you were working and going to school that's totally legit and i doubt any school would hold it against you

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:10 pm

this is the best thread title ever

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:11 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:this is the best thread title ever
LOLOL

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:41 am

thekunstis wrote:I attended my first two years of college in a regular fashion (15 credits a semester). After fall semester of my junior year I took the next spring semester off and volunteered the next six months for a poverty-relief organization abroad. When I returned in the summer I transferred to a different college and attended classes on a part time basis (6-9 credits Summer and Fall semester). This allowed me to continue working for the organization's US affiliate while simultaneously completing my degree. The next spring semester I once again was invited to volunteer abroad and accepted, returning again in the summer to complete some more credits. I am now applying and notice that most schools require an addendum explaining gaps in college. I want to present my situation in the most positive of ways?
Basically just tell them this. Slowing down school to help a poverty-relief organization will probably help more than hurt your application.

Unfortunate (though hilarious) thread title btw.

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:47 am

It's called an addendum. You write a one-page (maximum, seems like you can prolly get it done in less) narrative about whatever it is you want to explain (this applies to criminal records, GPA issues as well). The goal is to tie your experiences to your role as a member of X law school's next class - how it makes you a diverse, unique, and absolutely indispensable addition to their overall class 'voice.' Admissions departments love to talk about building the "voice" of a class.

The big plus for you is there's no negatives, that I can see. It's not like you flunked out and had to go volunteer, right? 'Cause if you were actually escaping something here and there (like your general disinterest in school, based on your vague reference to concern over appearing "not serious"), better to just make that your explanation. If things occurred as innocently and forthrightly as you've laid out above, then just explain what you did and, as I mentioned and am emphasizing, how that makes you more likely to be a vibrant and successful law school. You'll be fine.

Good luck.

thekunstis

New

Post by thekunstis » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:59 am

minnbills wrote:
thekunstis wrote:I attended my first two years of college in a regular fashion (15 credits a semester). After fall semester of my junior year I took the next spring semester off and volunteered the next six months for a poverty-relief organization abroad. When I returned in the summer I transferred to a different college and attended classes on a part time basis (6-9 credits Summer and Fall semester). This allowed me to continue working for the organization's US affiliate while simultaneously completing my degree. The next spring semester I once again was invited to volunteer abroad and accepted, returning again in the summer to complete some more credits. I am now applying and notice that most schools require an addendum explaining gaps in college. I want to present my situation in the most positive of ways?
Basically just tell them this. Slowing down school to help a poverty-relief organization will probably help more than hurt your application.

Unfortunate (though hilarious) thread title btw.
Can some one explain to me why the title thread is sooooo funny. It may not have been written in correct grammer and may not properly address my question, but hillarious? Am I missing something?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:00 am

gap = vagina. Re-read and chuckle mildly.

thekunstis

New

Post by thekunstis » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:00 am

GreenHeels wrote:gap = vagina. Re-read and chuckle mildly.
Gotcha! Now I can take credit for the hidden humor behind the naming of the thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”