When is it better to wait? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
delusional

Silver

When is it better to wait?

Post by delusional » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:24 pm

Say you have competitive numbers, (above median at all your targets, to keep this simple) but didn't really manage to get it all together by, oh, say, January 19th. You gotta figure that you're at some sort of disadvantage in admissions, but maybe even more WRT financial aid.

1. At what time during a cycle is it worthwhile to put everything on hold for another year, and be ready to go complete on the afternoon of September 1st next cycle?

2. What outside factors affect this (e.g. job, age, finances) and how would they affect this?

(Some factors/effects are simple, and some more complicated and less obvious, but I welcome discussion of any individual circumstances, etc.)

gdane

Diamond

Re: When is it better to wait?

Post by gdane » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:32 pm

You can always reapply next cycle if things dont work out...

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Re: When is it better to wait?

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:49 pm

When you do not feel a real connection with your partner and there is a possibility of STDs.

/reads topic

Oh.

TLS has generally taught me that you want to have everything in before Thanksgiving and before winter break at the absolute latest. I will attest that timing worked out for my cycle, especially after reading the thread regarding the school I will be attending in A/R/WL and seeing people who applied over the past month with better numbers be rejected or waitlisted. Seeing as I have complete average softs (splitter, too) I think it is fair to reason getting my application in before Thanksgiving helped.

Point is, I would absolutely vote to wait if you have the opportunity to. Work your ass off, take the LSAT again if you feel so inclined, apply at the very start of the cycle, ?????, profit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”