(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Postby jayman6 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Anyone have any advice on how long these should be? I'm interested in getting off the waitlist at Illinois. Should I keep it to a paragraph or two?

Postby txadv11 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Sample LOCI:

Eager Applicant
City, State, Zip
LSAC#: L12345678

Month, Day, Year

Desirable School of Law
City, State, Zip

Dear Dean of Admissions of Desirable School of Law:

I am writing to reiterate my interest in attending Desirable School of Law. Aside from being an excellent law school, the program at Desirable perfectly complements my legal interests. Specifically, the [insert certificate program, professor’s work, academic center, etc.] is something I find exciting because of my interest in the field of [your favorite field of law] law. Fleshing out this point…

In addition to my interest in [the above mentioned factor], I feel that I will bring a unique perspective to the Desirable School of Law community. Due to my [relevant past experience, unique background, etc], I will bring a [something that nobody else but me has] to the community.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to update my application. Since submitting my application in the fall, I have [earned a 4.0 last semester, was promoted, was awarded the Nobel prize]. In addition to that, I [started a volunteer job at the public defender’s office, was selected by my professor to be a research assistant, found a cure for baldness].

Desirable School of Law remains one of my top choices. The programs offered fit extremely well with my legal interests, [location of Desirable] is a place I can see myself living, and the student body at Desirable is one that I will not only learn a great deal from but also contribute a great deal to. I would be honored to be offered a place in the Desirable Class of [whatever class you would be a part of].

Thank you very much for your time.

Eager Applicant

source from above listed at top of post.

I wrote mine very similar to the above.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”