How do I include criminal records?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Derekj032

How do I include criminal records?

Postby Derekj032 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:50 pm

I received an email from a school I applied to, stating that my application was incomplete. I had a few misdemeanor charges a long time ago and included the dates of each offense, the outcome and a brief explanation. However, this particular school wants "relevant police and court documents". I went to the records department of the city where the offenses occurred and all they gave me was signed arrest record for the city and said there was nothing else they had for me. I also ran a background check through my state police force. They have record of only 1 of my crimes. How can I include stuff that is not available anymore. These charges are from 7+ years ago so it seems like they may have misplaced or thrown out the actual records. The weird thing is that the State police records check is not as complete as the local one but the state one has a charge listed that happend in the local city which does not show up on the local check. WTF do I do? Getting my past criminal history is more difficult then the damn lsat...

FYI these were "MIP" tickets for minor in the possession of alcohol.

minnbills

Re: How do I include criminal records?

Postby minnbills » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:38 am

Send the documents to the school.

Would the local/state police office be willing to send a letter stating that those documents are all they have?

GreenHeels

Postby GreenHeels » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:51 am

Send whatever you can get your hands on, contact Admissions, tell them what you've sent and ask if these are sufficient.

Tbh, though, never heard of a school asking for documents. This as someone who disclosed convictions in applying, got into t14. I can assure that alcohol possession as a minor is unlikely (note: hedge) to be a disqualifying offense (unless very recent, which you've stated they are not, or there's a series of them over time demonstrating a basic lack of judgment).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:52 am

If these are simply a few minor-in-possession of alcohol offenses which are several years old, then just send what you have obtained & explain to the law schools what you were told by the authorities. Is there some aspect of these misdemeanors/infractions that raise suspicions of more serious offenses which were plea bargained to lessor offenses ? If not, then make that clear to the law school.

Derekj032

Postby Derekj032 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:45 am

minnbills wrote:Send the documents to the school.

Would the local/state police office be willing to send a letter stating that those documents are all they have?

Yes, they gave me a signed letter stating that it was everything available for that specific city. The incompetency and disorganization at this particular cities records department was of epic proportions. They literally only had a computer file saved that listed EVERYTIME I ever had contact with the police, regardless of what it was for or if i was ever charged for anything. They had the great idea to list next to these, "city codes" which differ dramatically from state code and nothing short of a FOIA would have obtained me the code book needed to decipher whether or not I was looking at the time I filed a police report for a missing wallet or an MIP.

Since they had two pages of my "contact" with the police department (accident reports, police reports that I filed against others, witness to accident etc...) they said it would take 2 days to sort through the file and find out the actually crimes that I committed. Of course when I went to pick it up I noticed a mistake for malicious destruction of private property, thinking to myself WTF, they tell me "oops" that is supposed to be "MIP" not "MDOP". Since they did not save the letter they were giving me they used a black marker to cross out MDOP and penciled in MIP. Seriously, what a joke of a department. I can only hope that what they gave me will suffice and I will never have to go back to the records office from hell.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”