Minor typo on law school application (wrong employer name)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kingsea3

Minor typo on law school application (wrong employer name)

Postby kingsea3 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:02 pm

I just noticed that on nearly all my applications I was calling a past employer the "University Student Coalition" instead of the "University Student Commission." The problem is I have a great letter of rec. from the Mayor, but obviously he spells the name correctly. Advice?

txadv11

Re: Minor typo on law school application (wrong employer name)

Postby txadv11 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:14 pm

You'll probably get differing answers on this....However, I tend to think that for the most part, adcoms have so many apps-PS, DS, Resumes, LSAT score reports, transcripts, LORs etc etc etc, that the mistake will more than likely go unnoticed.

oliverdarcy

Postby oliverdarcy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:47 pm

I agree. You will only draw more attention to the problem by attempting to correct. Chances are it will go unnoticed.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:32 am

don't worry about it. I know the crazy OCD, neurotic part of you thinks that this mistake will nix your entire app, but it won't. They won't even notice.

GreenHeels

Postby GreenHeels » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:58 am

I gotta say, my experience with Admissions people (I was a student rep for our Admissions department at my t14, basically meant I was a student recruiter, got to know some of the process) indicates that they are absolutely looking for the little stuff that they can disqualify people with. Typos and misspellings in things like personal statements and resumes are absolutely the type of thing that lets them move otherwise qualified people into "no" piles. To them, it is a glaring indication of a basic lack of organization and care for detail.

Unfortunately, the earlier posters are correct in claiming there is no way to fix this that does not draw even greater attention to the mistake. You have to let it go at this point. This is why one proofreads applications to the punctuation mark before sending. I'm sure there is some Admissions deparment out there that won't catch it or will accord you some leniency when they see it. But the reality of legal education today is every single school had way more qualified applicants than they can admit. So they're never looking for reasons to admit people - they could likely admit any of their top half of qualified people and have a good class. They're looking for reasons to take people out of the "yes" pile. And this is the sort of thing that lets them get one person closer to finished, without taking a lot of time to think about it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There's nothing you can do about it, so now is the time to look for mental peace on the issue; if it works out, then you'll be hella stoked and if it doesn't, you won't be surprised.

Good luck.

wester0

Postby wester0 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:23 am

Last edited by wester0 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreenHeels

Postby GreenHeels » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:52 pm

wester0 wrote:I got into one of my top schools with a typo in an addendum. It was something along the lines of "waive" instead of "wave". Not only did they receive, process and admit me in less than a month, but they also gave me $$$. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Gotta love the anecdote held out as a general rule.

zonto

Postby zonto » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:46 am

Or the fact that the #s were probably enough to warrant said scholarship regardless of the typo mentioned.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:36 am

I just realized while typing it into one of my apps that I might have put 2010 where a 2011 was needed in that stupid when will you be at your current address until. I hate that question. The obvious answer is that i'll be there until you accept me at your law school duuh

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:47 am

GreenHeels wrote:I gotta say, my experience with Admissions people (I was a student rep for our Admissions department at my t14, basically meant I was a student recruiter, got to know some of the process) indicates that they are absolutely looking for the little stuff that they can disqualify people with. Typos and misspellings in things like personal statements and resumes are absolutely the type of thing that lets them move otherwise qualified people into "no" piles. To them, it is a glaring indication of a basic lack of organization and care for detail.

Unfortunately, the earlier posters are correct in claiming there is no way to fix this that does not draw even greater attention to the mistake. You have to let it go at this point. This is why one proofreads applications to the punctuation mark before sending. I'm sure there is some Admissions deparment out there that won't catch it or will accord you some leniency when they see it. But the reality of legal education today is every single school had way more qualified applicants than they can admit. So they're never looking for reasons to admit people - they could likely admit any of their top half of qualified people and have a good class. They're looking for reasons to take people out of the "yes" pile. And this is the sort of thing that lets them get one person closer to finished, without taking a lot of time to think about it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There's nothing you can do about it, so now is the time to look for mental peace on the issue; if it works out, then you'll be hella stoked and if it doesn't, you won't be surprised.

Good luck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”