Not happy with my cycle Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Not happy with my cycle

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:43 pm

I have applied to about many schools(a few reaches, alot of targets, and a few safeties) and I heard back from 4 with no good news(one of my safeties just held my app)... I am from NYC and am looking to either practice in the North East or even Cali. My numbers are 3.4/165 and am thinking of applying to Boston Universty, should I? Is it worth it?Is it too late?

note: I want/need to go to school this coming fall so I don't think a retake is an option...

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Re: Not happy with my cycle

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:11 pm

bump

annie2010

Bronze

Post by annie2010 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:16 pm

if you have the money, you might as well (edit: apply to BU). but you might reconsider "needing" to start next year. It will pay off a lot more in the long run to retake and reapply rather than settling for a school you don't really want to go to just because you wanted to start right away.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:17 pm

Are you considering bu as a "safety" and that's why you didn't apply? Were you using lsp? cause honestly... its kind of accurate lol its scary.

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:18 pm

glitched wrote:Are you considering bu as a "safety" and that's why you didn't apply? Were you using lsp? cause honestly... its kind of accurate lol its scary.
No I'm not considering BU a safety because I'm below the GPA median but I thought it would be a good a idea since it has a good rep in the North East... :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:22 pm

annie2010 wrote:if you have the money, you might as well (edit: apply to BU). but you might reconsider "needing" to start next year. It will pay off a lot more in the long run to retake and reapply rather than settling for a school you don't really want to go to just because you wanted to start right away.
Well the thing is I already took this year off while working at a law firm (nothing special) and my UG loans are killing me... I am certain I want to practice law; when I first began studying for the LSAT I was at 156 while slowly increasing my score to eventually a 165 on the October exam but TBH I don't think I'll be able to get over a 170 even I studied for another few months.

annie2010

Bronze

Post by annie2010 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:28 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:
annie2010 wrote:if you have the money, you might as well (edit: apply to BU). but you might reconsider "needing" to start next year. It will pay off a lot more in the long run to retake and reapply rather than settling for a school you don't really want to go to just because you wanted to start right away.
Well the thing is I already took this year off while working at a law firm (nothing special) and my UG loans are killing me... I am certain I want to practice law; when I first began studying for the LSAT I was at 156 while slowly increasing my score to eventually a 165 on the October exam but TBH I don't think I'll be able to get over a 170 even I studied for another few months.
Well I went from a 156 to above a 170 so you definitely could do it with the right tools. Obviously you know what's best for you, but if you already have UG debt, paying full price for law school is pretty risky. I would definitely think hard about retaking and then getting a good scholarship at a school next year.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:30 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:I have applied to about many schools(a few reaches, alot of targets, and a few safeties) and I heard back from 4 with no good news(one of my safeties just held my app)... I am from NYC and am looking to either practice in the North East or even Cali. My numbers are 3.4/165 and am thinking of applying to Boston Universty, should I? Is it worth it?Is it too late?

note: I want/need to go to school this coming fall so I don't think a retake is an option...
According to LSP, your safeties should have been Case Western, U of Connecticut, and U of Miami. Anything around or above them would have been a target/reach. I consider the "strong consider" to be a target and a "consider" to be a reach.

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:31 pm

annie2010 wrote:
Zarathustraspoke wrote:
Well I went from a 156 to above a 170 so you definitely could do it with the right tools. Obviously you know what's best for you, but if you already have UG debt, paying full price for law school is pretty risky. I would definitely think hard about retaking and then getting a good scholarship at a school next year.
Noted :) Guess I have some serious thinking to do over the next few days. The idea of putting law school off for another year is just annoying

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Zarathustraspoke wrote:I have applied to about many schools(a few reaches, alot of targets, and a few safeties) and I heard back from 4 with no good news(one of my safeties just held my app)... I am from NYC and am looking to either practice in the North East or even Cali. My numbers are 3.4/165 and am thinking of applying to Boston Universty, should I? Is it worth it?Is it too late?

According to LSP, your safeties should have been Case Western, U of Connecticut, and U of Miami. Anything around or above them would have been a target/reach. I consider the "strong consider" to be a target and a "consider" to be a reach.
At first I was going by LSP. Then I spoke to a few lawyers, admissions counselors, and fam members (one went to YLS) and they all said that I could get into a 18-30 school...

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:42 pm

if you applied to all the 18-30 schools, you probably will get into at least one of them

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:42 pm

Some advice:

I've been where you are. Last year was supposed to be my cycle but all the schools I truly wanted rejected or WLed me, including Fordham and GW. I put blood, sweat, and tears into the LSAT but still somehow got only a 164 (fucking RC). As a URM with a 165, you have great options.

THIS year, I have been accepted to both Fordham and GW. Sometimes, you have to take the risk and try again. It may work out for you.
I would recommend you to wait till next cycle. And apply to all your schools as EARLY as possible. You have NO IDEA how much this helps!

HTH

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:47 pm

luckyme wrote:if you applied to all the 18-30 schools, you probably will get into at least one of them

Nice 'tar :)

I didn't apply to all but a good amount, we'll see

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ImpatientlyWaiting

New

Post by ImpatientlyWaiting » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:47 pm

So much Nietzsche enthusiasm on this thread. Love it. This must be a sign that I should get off TLS and resume working on my thesis...

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:51 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Some advice:

I've been where you are. Last year was supposed to be my cycle but all the schools I truly wanted rejected or WLed me, including Fordham and GW. I put blood, sweat, and tears into the LSAT but still somehow got only a 164 (fucking RC). As a URM with a 165, you have great options.
The consensus on TLS is that I don't qualify as a URM (I'm Dominican)
THIS year, I have been accepted to both Fordham and GW. Sometimes, you have to take the risk and try again. It may work out for you.
I would recommend you to wait till next cycle. And apply to all your schools as EARLY as possible. You have NO IDEA how much this helps!

HTH
[/quote]

I may just have to man up and do this...

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:51 pm

OP, are you an URM? If so you should be getting into top 40 schools with ease and w/$$. I would say it would be best to re-visit your personal statements and see where the gap exists.

Regardless, if you are going to apply to anymore schools you need to do it NOW. Especially since you said that attending a school in FALL is just about a must. Go ahead and suck up the additional app fees and send them out NOW to a few more considerable locales. You're waiting a little late in the game to be 'thinking' about more applications.

Go with the air of action. It shall speak. And hopefully resound loudly with a joyous acceptance. :D

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:52 pm

ImpatientlyWaiting wrote:So much Nietzsche enthusiasm on this thread. Love it. This must be a sign that I should get off TLS and resume working on my thesis...
Nietzsche would approve

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:55 pm

mez06 wrote:OP, are you an URM? If so you should be getting into top 40 schools with ease and w/$$. I would say it would be best to re-visit your personal statements and see where the gap exists.

Regardless, if you are going to apply to anymore schools you need to do it NOW. Especially since you said that attending a school in FALL is just about a must. Go ahead and suck up the additional app fees and send them out NOW to a few more considerable locales. You're waiting a little late in the game to be 'thinking' about more applications.

Go with the air of action. It shall speak. And hopefully resound loudly with a joyous acceptance. :D
About being a URM i hear different reactions from everyone. Before TLS my advisor told me I was. On TLS it has been debated and debated that only Mexican, Puerto Rican are considered URM(as far as Hispanics)...

I just sent out the BU app so that's done. If I don't get into Fordham or better I'm putting off for another year

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm unhappy with my cycle because no schools have made a decision, even safeties...

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:28 pm

ImageImage

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”