Ambulance Chasers life in the collision lane

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
quidestveritas

Ambulance Chasers life in the collision lane

Postby quidestveritas » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:56 pm

Not that I would want to be one but how does one go about becoming one? I see post all day on here about big law mid law and PI what about good old doc suers?

overunderachiever

Re: Ambulance Chasers life in the collision lane

Postby overunderachiever » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:04 pm

I used to intern at a mid-sized med mal firm and the partners were family. They got the firm from their dad.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:06 pm

My guess is that many of the ones around here did something like

Local TTT/TTTT >> save a bunch of $$$ and/or take out a loan >> come up with a stupid commercial gimmick and a catchy jingle >> ??? >>> profit

Only profiting of course if they won some big money cases.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:09 pm

It's usually an area of law somebody goes into because nothing else is available. Personal Injury practices are usually much smaller and many are solo practices. Those at the very very top of the field make ungodly amounts of money. Those at the middle and bottom have to hustle and advertise for cases.

Getting into the field is the same as any other, just focus your networking and whatnot towards personal injury practices. The probably won't have formal clerkship programs but many will be open to hiring clerks. Be prepared for an hourly wage.

Also, as an associate, you will likely have a small salary with some type of bonus (hopefully) that is based off cases you settle and cases you bring in.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:15 pm

I have a good friend who is partner in a small firm that does PI/Tort. He makes large bank. However when I told him that I was going to law school he immediately suggested that I shouldn't because it is extremely hard to get to his level. I don't want to do PI but I admit to have a practice and be successful is pretty freaking awesome.

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:26 pm

^ Plus you don't really have to worry about billable hours :)

johndoethethird

Postby johndoethethird » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:29 pm

Personal injury has historically been like "investment bankers of the legal field"--that is, potentially making lots of money very quickly, but unfortunately very unpredictably as well.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 am

I've been working the opposite side of personal injury/work comp for a couple years now. Seeing what happens to these poor folks in the end is what made me want to go into law.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”