Financial Aid

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FiveSermon

Financial Aid

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:46 pm

After submitting my applications in mid December, I just realized I didn't submit any need based financial aid applications.

If I submit them now will it be too late? And for people who already got in and received $$$ did they submit financial aid applications for schools?

sethc

Re: Financial Aid

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:07 am

Unless there was something specific in the application(s) instructing you to do something, I think you're fine. Most law schools (I think? correct me someone, if I'm wrong) require only that you submit the FAFSA shit or whatever. Normally, that doesn't need to be in until students matriculate (college or otherwise) so if THAT's what you're worrying about, then don't sweat it. If you'll be matriculating somewhere by Aug2011, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and take care of that shit now, though.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:12 am

FAFSA should be filled out before 2/15-3/1. It only became available on 1/1. Most parents will be filing taxes a bit later this year because IRS is behind on implementing the late tax laws passed by congress, so a lot of kids will get their parents' info later as a result. If you meet the priority deadline you are guaranteed to get a package/award early. If you file late you are by no means cut out of financial aid, you will just get the aid offer later. Federal aids (loans) have no deadlines, but if you don't get them processed before school starts you will just have to figure out how to pay the bill and get reimbursed.

You have to file FAFSA if you want to get federal loans.

sethc

Postby sethc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:20 am

I know a lot of schools withhold *everyone's* award package ($$$) until like a certain date in the term, like ~6wks in or so.. not entirely sure why, but I have a pretty good idea..

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:52 am

r6_philly wrote:FAFSA should be filled out before 2/15-3/1. It only became available on 1/1. Most parents will be filing taxes a bit later this year because IRS is behind on implementing the late tax laws passed by congress, so a lot of kids will get their parents' info later as a result. If you meet the priority deadline you are guaranteed to get a package/award early. If you file late you are by no means cut out of financial aid, you will just get the aid offer later. Federal aids (loans) have no deadlines, but if you don't get them processed before school starts you will just have to figure out how to pay the bill and get reimbursed.

You have to file FAFSA if you want to get federal loans.

Thanks! Helps a ton.

What about this needaccess thing that schools like Cornell and Vanderbilt are asking for?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:25 am

FiveSermon wrote:
Thanks! Helps a ton.

What about this needaccess thing that schools like Cornell and Vanderbilt are asking for?

No problem!

It's a different paid service that most of the top schools require. $28 for an account. They ask for a lot more detailed information that each law school ask for (they present you different questions based on what schools you select).

needaccess.org

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:30 am

r6_philly wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
Thanks! Helps a ton.

No problem!

It's a different paid service that most of the top schools require. $28 for an account. They ask for a lot more detailed information that each law school ask for (they present you different questions based on what schools you select).

needaccess.org

If I fill this out now after submitting my application in mid december will it hurt me or delay my application since I submitted it a month or two after my primary application?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:34 am

FiveSermon wrote:
If I fill this out now after submitting my application in mid december will it hurt me or delay my application since I submitted it a month or two after my primary application?

Your need-based aid can't be "hurt" by timing at the top schools, I am not so sure about lower ranked schools, depend on if they have finite funds for need-based. But since no one practically can fill either form out until about this week, you can afford to wait until 2/15 - 3/1.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”