Pi Sigma Alpha honor society Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
IgosduIkana

Bronze

Pi Sigma Alpha honor society

Post by IgosduIkana » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:49 pm

My faculty recently sent me a letter of invitation to Pi Sigma Alpha. You folks have probably heard of it - it's the National Political Honor Society and it costs $35 to enter.

I'm not entirely sure whether this is something worth joining. Would this be a worthy item to place on a resume? The whole idea of paying for an honor seems a little fishy to me.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Re: Pi Sigma Alpha honor society

Post by NorCalBruin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Meh, might as well... $35 isn't that much (of course it might be, there's been many a time when my checking account read $0.07 and $35 seemed like a fortune), and it can only help. If you are really tight on money and $35.00 means a lot, no it's not really going to help you much so I wouldn't worry about it.

For what it's worth it costs money to join almost any honor society. When I joined Phi Beta Kappa it was $100 I think, and the Golden Key Honor Society was $50 I think.

Just a warning, most people here will tell you that Phi Beta Kappa is the only "honor society" worth spending your money for.

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:20 pm

Aaaah, well I didn't know that most honor societies require a payment of some sort. I will go ahead with it then - like you said, I suppose it won't hurt.

I'm very unfamiliar with the honor society deal, so this helps a lot. Thanks NorCalBruin!

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:41 pm

Join it and move on. Those things aren't worth much in the admissions process. I'd just pay the 35, list it, and be done.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:51 pm

txadv11 wrote:Join it and move on. Those things aren't worth much in the admissions process. I'd just pay the 35, list it, and be done.
+1. I joined mine and a faculty member was like "hey do you want to be VP? You won't have to do anything". I didn't have to do anything and got to list VP Pi Sigma Alpha on my resume. Might be worthless but its only 35 bucks and you never know that it might help ya.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”