Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

After all of this above, should I leave Ave Maria?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 pm

1. Yes
94%
2. No
6%

Total votes: 85

ResolutePear

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:16 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
The only way I see them losing their accreditation is if their library burns down by an act of God.

How do places lose their accreditation?

They don't maintain ABA-standards. For instance, if they don't have a certain amount of books in their library or they don't have certain equipment. I'm pretty sure if they would revoke if they caught any professors teaching law classes without a JD while the school knows about it.

Er, if they knowingly let people work more than a certain amount of hours..

There are a lot of circumstances they can lose it - but it's all gross negligence for the most part.

gorgeouslawgirl could threaten to report them to the ABA....wonder if they could lose accreditation if she had enough proof.

Oh, and the library book thing sounds a little ridiculous, being as many things are electronic now. Unless they are counting titles and not physical books.

It's all on the ABA-website. They count volumes IIRC, and the library has to be kept up to date.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:28 pm

gorgeouslawgirl wrote:I am a very smart, bright individual whose scores on standardized tests began to decrease in my high school years in correlation to the onset of this chronic illness. My exceptional talent and intelligence is one of the main reasons why I believe that my doctors in my hometown did not want to test me for such an "off the wall" illness.
Thanks for your reply!

Didn't LSAC accommodate you? If so, I don't exactly think that having Crohn's disease furnishes an entire explanation for your substandard score. Theoretically at least, accommodations should have put you on the same playing field as everyone else.

I hate to rag on someone with your disease and I do feel sorry for you, but your hubris bothers me a little.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:30 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
It's all on the ABA-website. They count volumes IIRC, and the library has to be kept up to date.

I'm definitely not doubting you, it just seems like an outdated rule.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:41 pm

dresden doll wrote:
gorgeouslawgirl wrote:I am a very smart, bright individual whose scores on standardized tests began to decrease in my high school years in correlation to the onset of this chronic illness. My exceptional talent and intelligence is one of the main reasons why I believe that my doctors in my hometown did not want to test me for such an "off the wall" illness.
Thanks for your reply!

Didn't LSAC accommodate you? If so, I don't exactly think that having Crohn's disease furnishes an entire explanation for your substandard score. Theoretically at least, accommodations should have put you on the same playing field as everyone else.

I hate to rag on someone with your disease and I do feel sorry for you, but your hubris bothers me a little.

I agree a bit here.

I'm sympathetic to the OP, but at the same time - "very smart, bright" is not something that is relative to your abilities - but as an absolute measure of ability. Again, it's just my opinion.. but in the real world: there are those who can and those who can't.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:54 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

I agree a bit here.

I'm sympathetic to the OP, but at the same time - "very smart, bright" is not something that is relative to your abilities - but as an absolute measure of ability. Again, it's just my opinion.. but in the real world: there are those who can and those who can't.

I mean, my simple point here is that people with extraordinary talents who did really well in UG (as OP indicates she did) and were accommodated by the LSAC typically don't wind up at Ave Maria. Sans accommodations, I could see that occurring. But with accommodations plus great GPA at a good school, an extraordinarily talented person should realistically muster something better than a TTTT.

I really hate to be mean in this situation, but I could never stand self-congratulatory posts.

gorgeouslawgirl

Postby gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:24 pm

BaronDetroit wrote:Why did the absences arise? We have a strict attendance policy at my school. If you miss a certain number of classes- your grade gets busted down. After a lot of absences your grade becomes a 0. You should certainly have a very good reason to explain to get this grade patched up. Attendance of classes is one of the hoops you have to jump thru to become a lawyer.

A first year has plenty of emotional issues and turbulence to deal with that might give rise to hopelessness. You should tough this out and see what your options are at the end of this semester. The 2nd semester is much more important than the 1st. You can still get where you want to go at the end of this process.

The absences arose from my illness (not mere 1L stress) but serious medical issues, which according to the National Association of Law Students with Disabilities, is supposed to be reasonably accommodated with various substitutions to allow the disabled law student to still participate. My absences or the accommodations that I would need to help me be more "present" in the law world would have been better if the law school would have been more proactive and helped me.

gorgeouslawgirl

Postby gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:31 pm

dresden doll wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

I agree a bit here.

I mean, my simple point here is that people with extraordinary talents who did really well in UG (as OP indicates she did) and were accommodated by the LSAC typically don't wind up at Ave Maria. Sans accommodations, I could see that occurring. But with accommodations plus great GPA at a good school, an extraordinarily talented person should realistically muster something better than a TTTT.

I really hate to be mean in this situation, but I could never stand self-congratulatory posts.

Lol, mean? I don't really consider your post mean, but, more so, ignorant. Of course, then again, I cannot stand dry sarcasm mixed with a double scoop of ignorance.

If you would follow the linkage quite well, you would realize the only accommodation I received was extra bathroom breaks: NOT extra time to cope with the moderate pain I was in. As well, I did receive offers from other tiers, but this one offered a great scholarship.

Thus, THE POINT is, ADHD could have possibly been a problem all along as my illness progressed, but was never even considered until my physician in Naples recognized it!

There are those who are congratulators (me) and those who are haters....hmmmm...I wonder which one you are?

Toodles and Thank you!

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:35 pm

gorgeouslawgirl wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

I agree a bit here.

Lol, mean? I don't really consider your post mean, but, more so, ignorant. Of course, then again, I cannot stand dry sarcasm mixed with a double scoop of ignorance.

If you would follow the linkage quite well, you would realize the only accommodation I received was extra bathroom breaks: NOT extra time to cope with the moderate pain I was in. As well, I did receive offers from other tiers, but this one offered a great scholarship.

Thus, THE POINT is, ADHD could have possibly been a problem all along as my illness progressed, but was never even considered until my physician in Naples recognized it!

There are those who are congratulators (me) and those who are haters....hmmmm...I wonder which one you are?

Toodles and Thank you!

That's your point? A school is not required to accommodate for problems you feel you COULD possibly have...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:36 pm

ResolutePear wrote:TRANSFER TO WHERE....

I can see leaving Ave Maria to UM or Stetson to have a VERY small chance of getting something better come graduation -

But the only people I see make this jump are those who are top 10% and with a bombed 1L-1, that's not going to happen. No point in transferring to somewhere like.. Cooley.

THIS

OP, I don't care what diseases you have. Drop out. FL is probably one of the worst markets in the country, and Ave is one of the worst schools in FL.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:37 pm

Agree with both posts above.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:38 pm

gorgeouslawgirl wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

I agree a bit here.

Toodles and Thank you!

Boy you sure know how to make friends. I guess with a screen name like "gorgeous law girl" one can't be too surprised at how you have been acting. You ask for advice, people give it, you get mad. What do you want? A lot of people (look at the poll) think you should drop the hell out of there.

/thread?

please?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:39 pm

Anyone else starting to suspect that this post is a flame?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:40 pm

gorgeouslawgirl wrote:

Toodles and Thank you!

Congratulations are fine. I congratulate people regularly when they accomplish something worthwhile. What I can't stand are self-congratulatory people and you're pretty clearly one of them. If you're truly of extraordinary talents, you might as well let that show for itself instead of shouting it off the Internet rooftops for all to take note of.

My basic point - which the rest of your overtly defensive post does nothing to dispel - is that a person of extraordinary talents and a fantastic GPA who was reasonably accommodated by the LSAC should not have wound up at Ave Maria. That's not saying that whatever pain you experienced wouldn't have stood in the way of achieving a high score - I have no trouble believing that you're irreparably impeded from achieving as you otherwise would - but just that I'd expect you still to do well enough to avoid a school like Ave Maria.

Then again, you go as 'gorgeouslawgirl' so I guess self awareness isn't to be expected.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:42 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Anyone else starting to suspect that this post is a flame?

+1 Itd be a pretty good one though

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:46 pm

I wonder why the people who selected NO did? ( other than snarky reasons?) IF there are legitimate reasons for selecting No, please share

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:48 pm

northwood wrote:I wonder why the people who selected NO did? ( other than snarky reasons?) IF there are legitimate reasons for selecting No, please share

I voted no because somewhere in the thread it said the op was already 2.5 years in at that point it seems like you might as well finish and get the degree.

gorgeouslawgirl

Postby gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:57 pm

dr123 wrote:
northwood wrote:I wonder why the people who selected NO did? ( other than snarky reasons?) IF there are legitimate reasons for selecting No, please share

I voted no because somewhere in the thread it said the op was already 2.5 years in at that point it seems like you might as well finish and get the degree.

I am in my first year of law school, but they were saying why waste another 2.5 years at this school.

Thank you for the reply!

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:02 pm

arism87 wrote:
gorgeouslawgirl wrote:Thus, THE POINT is, ADHD could have possibly been a problem all along as my illness progressed, but was never even considered until my physician in Naples recognized it!

Toodles and Thank you!

That's your point? A school is not required to accommodate for problems you feel you COULD possibly have...

Also, this. It sounds like you have an axe to grind with your physicians. That's all well and good, but entirely outside the scope of this discussion. As despicable as Ave Maria has been, it never was required to take a proactive stand on identifying your medical issues (although it certainly should have accommodated you once you credibly demonstrated you required the extra assistance).

Whatever the case, transferring isn't a viable option. Law schools will want evidence of success, not excuses. It's irrelevant how well founded those excuses may otherwise be. If you weren't so drenched in your own hubris, you'd recognize that much for yourself.

gorgeouslawgirl

Postby gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:06 pm

dresden doll wrote:
arism87 wrote:
gorgeouslawgirl wrote:Thus, THE POINT is, ADHD could have possibly been a problem all along as my illness progressed, but was never even considered until my physician in Naples recognized it!

Toodles and Thank you!

Also, this. It sounds like you have an axe to grind with your physicians. That's all well and good, but entirely outside the scope of this discussion. As despicable as Ave Maria has been, it never was required to take a proactive stand on identifying your medical issues (although it certainly should have accommodated you once you credibly demonstrated you required the extra assistance).

If you were not so self-righteous, you would have read and identified my main point in motion posts ago. Anyhow, I do forgive you for overlooking this fact. :D
Whatever the case, transferring isn't a viable option. Law schools will want evidence of success, not excuses. It's irrelevant how well founded those excuses may otherwise be. If you weren't so drenched in your own hubris, you'd recognize that much for yourself.

They are NOT required to handle illnesses I could POSSIBLY have, but they ARE REQUIRED to handle and accommodate me for illnesses I DO HAVE documented...IBS/Crohn's disease. Yet, they never did! This is the main problem!

The ADHD is just a side note of why I think I may have did better with the time limit on exams, due to possibly having it. The main point I need everyone to focus on is the illness I HAVE been diagnosed and has been DOCUMENTED (yet, the school did little to accommodate and support me)

Thank you for your comment!
Last edited by gorgeouslawgirl on Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Illness or not, I'd drop out of Ave Maria School of Law in this economy. Even if I was doing well.

Whether anyone will listen to your story and let you transfer in, who knows. But staying at that school with those grades is a terrible idea, no matter what the legit reason.
Last edited by swfangirl on Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gorgeouslawgirl

Postby gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:09 pm

swfangirl wrote:Illness or not, I'd drop out of Ave Maria School of Law in this economy. Even if I was doing well.

Thank you soooo much for your comment!

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:13 pm

gorgeouslawgirl wrote:They are NOT required to handle illnesses I could POSSIBLY have, but they ARE REQUIRED to handle and accommodate me for illnesses I DO HAVE documented...IBS/Crohn's disease. Yet, they never did! This is the main problem!

The ADHD is just a side note of why I think I may have did better with the time limit on exams, due to possibly having it. The main point I need everyone to focus on is the illness I HAVE been diagnosed and has been DOCUMENTED (yet, the school did little to accommodate and support me)

Thank you for your comment!

Oh, I think we were confused about what your point is. Probably because you said:

gorgeouslawgirl wrote: Thus, THE POINT is, ADHD could have possibly been a problem all along as my illness progressed, but was never even considered until my physician in Naples recognized it!

gorgeouslawgirl

Postby gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:15 pm

dresden doll wrote:
gorgeouslawgirl wrote:

Toodles and Thank you!

Congratulations are fine. I congratulate people regularly when they accomplish something worthwhile. What I can't stand are self-congratulatory people and you're pretty clearly one of them. If you're truly of extraordinary talents, you might as well let that show for itself instead of shouting it off the Internet rooftops for all to take note of.

My basic point - which the rest of your overtly defensive post does nothing to dispel - is that a person of extraordinary talents and a fantastic GPA who was reasonably accommodated by the LSAC should not have wound up at Ave Maria. That's not saying that whatever pain you experienced wouldn't have stood in the way of achieving a high score - I have no trouble believing that you're irreparably impeded from achieving as you otherwise would - but just that I'd expect you still to do well enough to avoid a school like Ave Maria.

Oh wow...I am definitely an humble human being, but I do have self-confidence (which you seem to lack)...then again, what do I know...I mean you do go by the name "dresden doll".... my fave :?

Then again, you go as 'gorgeouslawgirl' so I guess self awareness isn't to be expected.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:15 pm

swfangirl wrote:Illness or not, I'd drop out of Ave Maria School of Law in this economy. Even if I was doing well.

Out of curiosity, what accommodations did they offer? What do you think they should have offered?

While I'm admittedly not an expert on Crohns, it seems like you'd be able to attend and leave to go to the bathroom? It's not like you need permission, people get up and leave all the time to go (at least at my LS).

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:19 pm

gorgeouslawgirl wrote:Oh wow...I am definitely an humble human being, but I do have self-confidence (which you seem to lack)...then again, what do I know...I mean you do go by the name "dresden doll".... my fave :?

I prefer to be aware of my limitations. I find I'm less likely to come off as ridiculous that way.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”