Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

After all of this above, should I leave Ave Maria?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 pm

1. Yes
80
94%
2. No
5
6%
 
Total votes: 85

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:35 pm

dresden doll wrote:
gorgeouslawgirl wrote:Oh wow...I am definitely an humble human being, but I do have self-confidence (which you seem to lack)...then again, what do I know...I mean you do go by the name "dresden doll".... my fave :?


I prefer to be aware of my limitations. I find I'm less likely to come off as ridiculous that way.


You can't call yourself "gorgeouslawgirl", say you're pretty top dawg, and call yourself humble at the same time.

What is it?

Back on topic: This thread is pretty ridiculous and reminds me of a girl with Munchausen.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 pm

I go to dinner and come back to this becoming completely lols worthy. gorgeouslawgirl, you are shitting on people trying to offer you serious advice and contributing on topic to your thread. I'm not sure what you expected. You claim to be uber intelligent and bright, yet you accepted an offer to Ave Maria in the first place (I live in Florida and know the uselessness of that degree). You are saying that the ADHD possiblity is important, and then ragging on people for dicussing that aspect of it because it ISN'T important.


Anyways, I think what everyone is getting at is drop out and take a different path. This may be cruel, even though I don't intend it to be, but to be honest I wouldn't want a lawyer who was always absent and had issues because of their illness. If you can't make it to class, what makes you think you will make it to work? As an attorney, it seems that your clients would suffer.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby kwais » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm usually a pretty compassionate person, but reading this thread, all I can think of is that this girl is setting herself up for the harsh reality that no one is going to accommodate her in the real world. It seems like she thinks she deserves to be lawyer for some reason. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of accommodations for the LSAT. The point of a test like that is to measure your ability to stay focused on large amounts of exceedingly boring material. Your score should reflect your ability to do that and only that.
One final thing, to get mean for a second. Her use of misplaced SAT words like proficient and cogent makes me doubt that whole 'I'm really smart" thing. Sorry.

HowdyYall
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby HowdyYall » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:01 pm

i think this thread shouldve ended about four pages back. good luck whatever happens though OP!

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby northwood » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Barbie wrote:Anyways, I think what everyone is getting at is drop out and take a different path. This may be cruel, even though I don't intend it to be, but to be honest I wouldn't want a lawyer who was always absent and had issues because of their illness. If you can't make it to class, what makes you think you will make it to work? As an attorney, it seems that your clients would suffer.



You need to get your illnesses in check before you do anything else. make sure you get them under control, then figure out what your next step is going to be. Schools are accommodating, but people and clients may interpret this as an excuse for not getting things done on time and the way your boss/ clients want, so its imperitive that you can manage your illnesses, and not use them as a crutch. Whatever you do, make sure to do some due diligence and check out not only the cost, but what the prospects are afterwords. Make sure whatever you do next is something you will be happy doing for a long time.

People on this site generally are helpful and accomodating, as long as you are respectful. While their opinions and suggestions may not be what you want to hear, they generally are only trying to help. You may need to sift through the snarkiness a bit, but there is a lot of good advice to be found here.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby Pricer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Barbie wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:So your school didn't give you accommodations on the premise that you "possibly" have ADHD and now that you bombed finals you think you should be given preferential treatment?


This. My fiance has (apparently severely) ADHD--diagnosed when he was 5y.o, and was on medication until recently. I'm confused because you must be at least be 21 or so years old-- I'm sure you've been to TONS of doctors. If you think you have ADHD so badly, and you now only "possibly" have it, it doesn't sound like that at the small chance you do, its that bad. When some people do poorly on tests or in law school, they search for an answer because they ARE smart enough to do well (they are sure). Searching for an answer, especially one like having ADHD which I am not sure if can be actually 100% proved, I'm sure you will find one. I do know that my fiance refused to get special treatment on his tests, etc in college because he says that his job in the future won't regard him as special or different when he needs to actually do his work. I'm not trying to say you for sure don't have it, I just think the whole thing sounds a little fishy and thats why your professors may have disregarded it.


This.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:11 pm

I think I disassociated myself from needlessly cruel snark sufficiently when I acknowledged that I felt sorry for the OP. That's correct - she's had stuff to deal with that I'll never have to experience and I like to keep that in mind when responding to this thread.

That said, her sense of her abilities is almost certainly inflated. Calling yourself a gorgeous person of extraordinary abilities is what I wouldn't do even if I were a former beauty queen in her first year at YLS.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:12 pm

HowdyYall wrote:i think this thread shouldve ended about four pages back. good luck whatever happens though OP!


I agree. Anyway OP, good luck and I also hope everything works out, whether you stay or leave Ave Maria.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby Pricer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:39 pm

kwais wrote:I'm usually a pretty compassionate person, but reading this thread, all I can think of is that this girl is setting herself up for the harsh reality that no one is going to accommodate her in the real world. It seems like she thinks she deserves to be lawyer for some reason. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of accommodations for the LSAT. The point of a test like that is to measure your ability to stay focused on large amounts of exceedingly boring material. Your score should reflect your ability to do that and only that.
One final thing, to get mean for a second. Her use of misplaced SAT words like proficient and cogent makes me doubt that whole 'I'm really smart" thing. Sorry.


FTW!

NoJob
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby NoJob » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:42 pm

gorgeouslawgirl wrote:How are all of you doing? I value all of your opinion very much and need to make a decision asap about my law career at Ave Maria School of Law.

I am a very bright student who attended a great undergrad university with a near 3.8 GPA. I did not do so great on my LSATs, so I was wait-listed at UGA (did not end up getting in), and, eventually was accepted to Loyola-New Orleans, NCCU, and Ave Maria School of Law. Well, Ave Maria School of Law offered me a $15,000 scholarship, which is why I ended up attending law school here.

Well, I have a chronic illness that needs special accommodations, but Ave Maria did not actively support or give them to me, which caused most of my grades to suffer greatly. Since then, I never knew this until I went to a physician here in Naples, but I possibly have ADHD. Now, grades are slowly coming in and I did not do as well as I could have, had I had the National Association of Law Students with Disabilities reasonable accommodations. The fact that I possibly could have ADHD could have greatly affected my chances of my entire LSAT testing as well as doing even better on my law exams, due to time restraints.

Not only did I provide medical notes and records to the school, but I also personally sent emails out to all of my professors to allow them to know my current status on attendance to their lectures. I requested more additional work to demonstrate my proficiency in the class material, but none of them ever responded back as this being necessary. I have Microsoft Outlook, and optioned for the "delivery and read" notification to make sure everyone received them properly. Well, they did receive them properly and were read by the professors.

My physician desired me to have taped lectures, due to my illness, but the Dean of Academic Affairs stated that this would be too much work on the tech staff. Thus, I had to practically do my best with Barbri, reading, and teaching myself the material.

To make matters worse, my RWA instructor (new to the school) has decided that since the administration never formerly notified him on my situation that his only option was to give me an "F"!!! I turned in all of the assignments and actually passed the class, but due to the administration not telling him about my absence and health, he felt the need to go by the syllabus policy (even though I emailed him all of this information and saw that he did read it).

Now, I am in the stages of appealing this grade, but, as well, worried about the rest of my grades, since I want to leave this law school and transfer!

Note: This law school does NOT have a Disability Services department, so I am left to discuss my medical disabilities with a Dean of Student Affairs and a Dean of Academic Affairs(note: they did not know or understand exactly what my disability condition is or the effects of it)!


GO FIND A LAWYER. THREATEN TO SUE OR SUE ON THE BASIS OF YOUR DISABILITY.

NoJob
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby NoJob » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:45 pm

URalum wrote:This whole discussion is a joke. You can't be a practicing attorney if you can't write cogent sentences so you should probably abandon the venture all together.


I've gone against no-talent clowns (I mean attorneys) who can't write cogent sentences. Usually they are Cooley grads. Sad but the Michigan bar is an absolute joke.
Last edited by NoJob on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:46 pm

Pricer wrote:
kwais wrote:I'm usually a pretty compassionate person, but reading this thread, all I can think of is that this girl is setting herself up for the harsh reality that no one is going to accommodate her in the real world. It seems like she thinks she deserves to be lawyer for some reason. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of accommodations for the LSAT. The point of a test like that is to measure your ability to stay focused on large amounts of exceedingly boring material. Your score should reflect your ability to do that and only that.
One final thing, to get mean for a second. Her use of misplaced SAT words like proficient and cogent makes me doubt that whole 'I'm really smart" thing. Sorry.


FTW!

This is a highly contentious and touchy subject and I don't think the merits of this debate belong ITT, no matter how you feel about the issue or about OP.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:47 pm

NoJob wrote:
URalum wrote:This whole discussion is a joke. You can't be a practicing attorney if you can't write cogent sentences so you should probably abandon the venture all together.


I've gone against attorneys who can't write cogent sentences. Usually they are Cooley grads. Sad but the Michigan bar is an absolute joke.


ave maria relocated to fla, homie

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:48 pm

I got it!

I GOT IT.

Retake.

...amidoinitrite?

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Meh, this thread is going nowhere useful.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CheyenneGarrett17, notnecessarilyproper, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests