Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

After all of this above, should I leave Ave Maria?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 pm

1. Yes
94%
2. No
6%

Total votes: 85

akili

Gold

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Post by akili » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:06 pm

I think regardless of what people think of your situation (which sucks, I'm sorry!) you should leave Ave Maria. They are not a good school at all AND they are treating you like crap.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:07 pm

gorgeouslawgirl wrote: I have IBS/Crohn's Disease, which is a chronic illness(ADA and NALSWD designated disability) that has started to affect my neurological system and as caused me to experience severe anxiety attacks.
Several of my family members have Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis. It's no joke....you should probably go high up the ladder at your school to make sure your disability is appropriately handled. I'm not sure what you can do about it if it was diagnosed at the end of the semester, however. My cousin has Crohn's and until her school (not law school but UG) would recognize her problem (she had to miss so many days), she was in danger of failing many of her classes.

EDIT: I might have missed this, but are your disabilities documented with the school? If so I am almost positive it is illegal that you were not given specific accommodations. Like I stated earlier, if your disability is not on file or if you found out about it at the end of the semester, I am not sure how much recourse you have. Before leaving, I think you have to try to fix this through every avenue possible and keep documentation. That way, you have the bestpossible chance of getting the results you want.
Last edited by DeeCee on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Barbie wrote:
Doritos wrote:So, you are in Ave Maria with bad grades? That's all the info I need to say leave immediately.
But where should she go??
Anywhere but Ave Maria. Going there was a disastrous mistake in the first place, and staying would be the equivalent of lighting money on fire. Not to mention wasting 2 1/2 more years.

There is, you know, always the option of not going to law school.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Doritos wrote:So, you are in Ave Maria with bad grades? That's all the info I need to say leave immediately.
But where should she go??
Anywhere but Ave Maria. Going there was a disastrous mistake in the first place, and staying would be the equivalent of lighting money on fire. Not to mention wasting 2 1/2 more years.

There is, you know, always the option of not going to law school.
Thats what the rest of my post asked- if she was willing to just stop going or whether she was set on a transfer.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Barbie wrote:Thats what the rest of my post asked- if she was willing to just stop going or whether she was set on a transfer.
The problem is, there is no law school worth going to that will take her with those grades. No disrespect intended to the OP, but if I may be frank, Ave Maria is a law school on par respect-wise with Cooley. It is really a joke of a school, and no semi-respectable law school is going to even sniff at an Ave Maria student seeking with those kinds of grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gorgeouslawgirl

New

Post by gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:27 pm

akili wrote:I think regardless of what people think of your situation (which sucks, I'm sorry!) you should leave Ave Maria. They are not a good school at all AND they are treating you like crap.
Thank you soooo much!!! I needed this!

gorgeouslawgirl

New

Post by gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:28 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
gorgeouslawgirl wrote: I have IBS/Crohn's Disease, which is a chronic illness(ADA and NALSWD designated disability) that has started to affect my neurological system and as caused me to experience severe anxiety attacks.
Several of my family members have Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis. It's no joke....you should probably go high up the ladder at your school to make sure your disability is appropriately handled. I'm not sure what you can do about it if it was diagnosed at the end of the semester, however. My cousin has Crohn's and until her school (not law school but UG) would recognize her problem (she had to miss so many days), she was in danger of failing many of her classes.

EDIT: I might have missed this, but are your disabilities documented with the school? If so I am almost positive it is illegal that you were not given specific accommodations. Like I stated earlier, if your disability is not on file or if you found out about it at the end of the semester, I am not sure how much recourse you have. Before leaving, I think you have to try to fix this through every avenue possible and keep documentation. That way, you have the bestpossible chance of getting the results you want.

Thank you sooooo much!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Barbie wrote:Thats what the rest of my post asked- if she was willing to just stop going or whether she was set on a transfer.
The problem is, there is no law school worth going to that will take her with those grades. No disrespect intended to the OP, but if I may be frank, Ave Maria is a law school on par respect-wise with Cooley. It is really a joke of a school, and no semi-respectable law school is going to even sniff at an Ave Maria student seeking with those kinds of grades.
When a school *MOVES*, you know there's a problem.

I'm curious to see what schools lawyers went to who today work for Dominos Pizza, though.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Do you think there is a way she can try to get her tuition back since they didn't accomodate her illness?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:29 pm

The amount of RC fail combined with assholery in this thread is ridiculous.

OP, if I were you, I'd raise hell at that place. This school is charging you thousands of dollars for your education, then promptly fucking you over by disregarding your illness and ensuring you'd see the bottom of the curve, all because it would "be too much work on their tech staff." My goal would be to get my tuition back, then leave the school.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Barbie wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Do you think there is a way she can try to get her tuition back since they didn't accomodate her illness?
Probably not. I think the best thing she can hope for is that the ABA revokes their accreditation. That'll get her money back IIRC.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Barbie wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
That's something I couldn't speak to. My gut would say no though. No idea.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:36 pm

See what you can do, and if its possible to get your tuition money back. In the meantime, take a leave of absence from the school, or drop out completely. Its time to cut your losses at this school. Figure out what you need to do to be able to regulate your illnesses, and then once you have that under control do some soul searching to find out what it is you want to do in life- then start working towards that goal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm pretty sure the school is violating the americans with disabilities act, you should look into that.

Also does LSAC offer special accommodations for for ADD LSAT takers? Cause I am diagnosed ADD, first diagnosed at age 7, and some extra time or something would be incredibly helpful
Last edited by dr123 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gorgeouslawgirl

New

Post by gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:44 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:The amount of RC fail combined with assholery in this thread is ridiculous.

OP, if I were you, I'd raise hell at that place. This school is charging you thousands of dollars for your education, then promptly fucking you over by disregarding your illness and ensuring you'd see the bottom of the curve, all because it would "be too much work on their tech staff." My goal would be to get my tuition back, then leave the school.

Thank you sooo much! I needed this too! It is so discouraging to be in this position and not have any viable support from the staff. Again, thank you so much.

gorgeouslawgirl

New

Post by gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:45 pm

northwood wrote:See what you can do, and if its possible to get your tuition money back. In the meantime, take a leave of absence from the school, or drop out completely. Its time to cut your losses at this school. Figure out what you need to do to be able to regulate your illnesses, and then once you have that under control do some soul searching to find out what it is you want to do in life- then start working towards that goal.

Thank you so much. I am actually working on this as we speak.

gorgeouslawgirl

New

Post by gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:48 pm

dr123 wrote:I'm pretty sure the school is violating the americans with disabilities act, you should look into that.

Also does LSAC offer special accommodations for for ADD LSAT takers? Cause I am diagnosed ADD, first diagnosed at age 7, and some extra time or something would be incredibly helpful

Yes, they are supposed to actually acknowledge and provide accommodations. Of course, they did provide me with accommodations, but it came from God blessing me with the guts to stand up to them, present a strong case, and, finally, them realizing that I had a valid point. All of my documentation from primary physicians and surgeons did not even help.

So, make sure you are willing to fight the forefront for your disabilities, because they are hard to receive from the LSAC. If this later side illness, ADHD, would have been diagnosed earlier, more time could have been provided.

Thank you for your reply.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:49 pm

but just going off the title of the thread, the answer is yes.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Came ITT to post this. OP, you shouldn't have gone to Ave in the first place. Drop out. You're grades aren't gonna let you transfer anywhere worthwhile.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:52 pm

gorgeouslawgirl wrote:
dr123 wrote:I'm pretty sure the school is violating the americans with disabilities act, you should look into that.

Yes, they are supposed to actually acknowledge and provide accommodations. Of course, they did provide me with accommodations, but it came from God blessing me with the guts to stand up to them, present a strong case, and, finally, them realizing that I had a valid point. All of my documentation from primary physicians and surgeons did not even help.

So, make sure you are willing to fight the forefront for your disabilities, because they are hard to receive from the LSAC. If this later side illness, ADHD, would have been diagnosed earlier, more time could have been provided.

Thank you for your reply.
I'm ADD I have no hyperactivity issues. Do you have the links to the LSAC disability accomidations?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:53 pm

Leave Ave Maria and leave law. It sounds like you have a number of issues to work out and scrapping for your place in the legal world just does not make sense in the middle of all of it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:56 pm

it's totally irrelevant whether you have ADD. you have a serious autoimmune condition and your school refused to give you reasonable accomodations. did you put your request in writing? did you save your correspondence with them? if i were you i would drop out of law school ASAP and ask for your tuition back, and use the threat of an ADA lawsuit as leverage. whether or not you should reapply to law school is a question that i can't answer, but if you did, "i am disabled and my former school refused to give me reasonable accomodations, my grades suffered, and i left" is as good of an explanation as any.

as an aside, i think you should not go the ADD/ADHD route (because you are not diagnosed and because those diagnoses are treated with a great deal of skepticism) but if you had been diagnosed with one of those conditions it would be a disability requiring reasonable accomodations. the suggestion that you need to be deaf, blind, or paralyzed to have a disability would be comical if it weren't so tragically widespread.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:08 pm

smittytron3k wrote:it's totally irrelevant whether you have ADD. you have a serious autoimmune condition and your school refused to give you reasonable accomodations. did you put your request in writing? did you save your correspondence with them? if i were you i would drop out of law school ASAP and ask for your tuition back, and use the threat of an ADA lawsuit as leverage. whether or not you should reapply to law school is a question that i can't answer, but if you did, "i am disabled and my former school refused to give me reasonable accomodations, my grades suffered, and i left" is as good of an explanation as any.

as an aside, i think you should not go the ADD/ADHD route (because you are not diagnosed and because those diagnoses are treated with a great deal of skepticism) but if you had been diagnosed with one of those conditions it would be a disability requiring reasonable accomodations. the suggestion that you need to be deaf, blind, or paralyzed to have a disability would be comical if it weren't so tragically widespread.
+1. Stick with reasonable accommodations for Crohn's since your doctor visits and diagnosis will be well-documented and Crohn's would be very hard to argue against.

BaronDetroit

New

Post by BaronDetroit » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:10 pm

I don't know how your school does it- but any accomodations for a particuliar disability need to be made at the very beginning of the semester. There should certainly be no surprises arising. Why didn't you clear this up earlier? I don't know of any disability that launches itself at a person in the middle of a semester or directly after poor exam performance.

My suggestion would be to patch up the grades as best as possible. Do better next semester and then maybe transfer to somewhere you would feel more comfortable.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:13 pm

BaronDetroit wrote:I don't know of any disability that launches itself at a person in the middle of a semester
This is exactly what happened to my cousin (all of a sudden, she had problems she didn't know she had). Same with my mother, she was out of work for weeks in the hospital with UC that she never knew she had. I agree that disabilities have to be on file in the beginning, though I'm not sure with this disease that's entirely possible.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”