Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

After all of this above, should I leave Ave Maria?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 pm

1. Yes
94%
2. No
6%

Total votes: 85

gorgeouslawgirl

Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:25 pm

How are all of you doing? I value all of your opinion very much and need to make a decision asap about my law career at Ave Maria School of Law.

I am a very bright student who attended a great undergrad university with a near 3.8 GPA. I did not do so great on my LSATs, so I was wait-listed at UGA (did not end up getting in), and, eventually was accepted to Loyola-New Orleans, NCCU, and Ave Maria School of Law. Well, Ave Maria School of Law offered me a $15,000 scholarship, which is why I ended up attending law school here.

Well, I have a chronic illness that needs special accommodations, but Ave Maria did not actively support or give them to me, which caused most of my grades to suffer greatly. Since then, I never knew this until I went to a physician here in Naples, but I possibly have ADHD. Now, grades are slowly coming in and I did not do as well as I could have, had I had the National Association of Law Students with Disabilities reasonable accommodations. The fact that I possibly could have ADHD could have greatly affected my chances of my entire LSAT testing as well as doing even better on my law exams, due to time restraints.

Not only did I provide medical notes and records to the school, but I also personally sent emails out to all of my professors to allow them to know my current status on attendance to their lectures. I requested more additional work to demonstrate my proficiency in the class material, but none of them ever responded back as this being necessary. I have Microsoft Outlook, and optioned for the "delivery and read" notification to make sure everyone received them properly. Well, they did receive them properly and were read by the professors.

My physician desired me to have taped lectures, due to my illness, but the Dean of Academic Affairs stated that this would be too much work on the tech staff. Thus, I had to practically do my best with Barbri, reading, and teaching myself the material.

To make matters worse, my RWA instructor (new to the school) has decided that since the administration never formerly notified him on my situation that his only option was to give me an "F"!!! I turned in all of the assignments and actually passed the class, but due to the administration not telling him about my absence and health, he felt the need to go by the syllabus policy (even though I emailed him all of this information and saw that he did read it).

Now, I am in the stages of appealing this grade, but, as well, worried about the rest of my grades, since I want to leave this law school and transfer!

Note: This law school does NOT have a Disability Services department, so I am left to discuss my medical disabilities with a Dean of Student Affairs and a Dean of Academic Affairs(note: they did not know or understand exactly what my disability condition is or the effects of it)!

LSATWIZ

Re: Should I leave Ave Maria School of Law?

Postby LSATWIZ » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:42 pm

gorgeouslawgirl wrote:How are all of you doing? I value all of your opinion very much and need to make a decision asap about my law career at Ave Maria School of Law.

I am a very bright student who attended a great undergrad university with a near 3.8 GPA. I did not do so great on my LSATs, so I was wait-listed at UGA (did not end up getting in), and, eventually was accepted to Loyola-New Orleans, NCCU, and Ave Maria School of Law. Well, Ave Maria School of Law offered me a $15,000 scholarship, which is why I ended up attending law school here.

Well, I have a chronic illness that needs special accommodations, but Ave Maria did not actively support or give them to me, which caused most of my grades to suffer greatly. Since then, I never knew this until I went to a physician here in Naples, but I possibly have ADHD. Now, grades are slowly coming in and I did not do as well as I could have, had I had the National Association of Law Students with Disabilities reasonable accommodations. The fact that I possibly could have ADHD could have greatly affected my chances of my entire LSAT testing as well as doing even better on my law exams, due to time restraints.

Not only did I provide medical notes and records to the school, but I also personally sent emails out to all of my professors to allow them to know my current status on attendance to their lectures. I requested more additional work to demonstrate my proficiency in the class material, but none of them ever responded back as this being necessary. I have Microsoft Outlook, and optioned for the "delivery and read" notification to make sure everyone received them properly. Well, they did receive them properly and were read by the professors.

My physician desired me to have taped lectures, due to my illness, but the Dean of Academic Affairs stated that this would be too much work on the tech staff. Thus, I had to practically do my best with Barbri, reading, and teaching myself the material.

To make matters worse, my RWA instructor (new to the school) has decided that since the administration never formerly notified him on my situation that his only option was to give me an "F"!!! I turned in all of the assignments and actually passed the class, but due to the administration not telling him about my absence and health, he felt the need to go by the syllabus policy (even though I emailed him all of this information and saw that he did read it).

Now, I am in the stages of appealing this grade, but, as well, worried about the rest of my grades, since I want to leave this law school and transfer!

Note: This law school does NOT have a Disability Services department, so I am left to discuss my medical disabilities with a Dean of Student Affairs and a Dean of Academic Affairs(note: they did not know or understand exactly what my disability condition is or the effects of it)!

Are you going to be able to transfer somewhere with those grades?

I hate to say this, but your story is one of the many reasons it can be better to go to a first tier school. Some TTT or TTTT have great professionalism, but some are basically for profit law schools without much care for their students.

gorgeouslawgirl

Postby gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:22 pm

God willing, I am praying so!!!! I am emailing all of the possible schools I would like to transfer to right now with my unusual predicament, and what do I need to do to properly address this situation in my transfer application so I can be evaluated properly and fairly.

Thank you so much for your reply.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:24 pm

So your school didn't give you accommodations on the premise that you "possibly" have ADHD and now that you bombed finals you think you should be given preferential treatment?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:25 pm

FiveSermon wrote:So your school didn't give you accommodations on the premise that you "possibly" have ADHD and now that you bombed finals you think you should be given preferential treatment?

Yahtzee!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:33 pm

FiveSermon wrote:So your school didn't give you accommodations on the premise that you "possibly" have ADHD and now that you bombed finals you think you should be given preferential treatment?

This. My fiance has (apparently severely) ADHD--diagnosed when he was 5y.o, and was on medication until recently. I'm confused because you must be at least be 21 or so years old-- I'm sure you've been to TONS of doctors. If you think you have ADHD so badly, and you now only "possibly" have it, it doesn't sound like that at the small chance you do, its that bad. When some people do poorly on tests or in law school, they search for an answer because they ARE smart enough to do well (they are sure). Searching for an answer, especially one like having ADHD which I am not sure if can be actually 100% proved, I'm sure you will find one. I do know that my fiance refused to get special treatment on his tests, etc in college because he says that his job in the future won't regard him as special or different when he needs to actually do his work. I'm not trying to say you for sure don't have it, I just think the whole thing sounds a little fishy and thats why your professors may have disregarded it.

LSATWIZ

Postby LSATWIZ » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:34 pm

If she really is gorgeous, she is probably used to such treatment. You can't give someone preferential treatment their entire life, then treat them equally and expect everything to be cool.

gorgeouslawgirl

Postby gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:48 pm

txadv11 wrote:

Yahtzee!

No, the basis is I ALREADY had a chronic illness that was supposed to be accommodated by the law school, yet, the law school neglected to proficiently do so! It was not until AFTER I arrived to Naples, Florida that an area physician said that my symptoms and the preliminary online test proved me to MOST LIKELY have ADHD (The score had to be 70 or more to possibly have ADHD-I scored a 74).

My questions is in light of this situation, WITH or WITHOUT ADHD accommodations, I was supposed to have reasonable accommodations for my ALREADY DIAGNOSED chronic illness one way or another (I have had this illness since I was in the 10th grade in high school and had special accommodations for the LSAT).

KEY POINT: The reason I brought up the more than likely ADHD diagnosis is because this could have FURTHER caused me problems in my academics. I have consistently talked discussed my focus problems in my home state, but they always dismissed it. It was not until I came to Naples that a great medical clinic that does research discovered that there is a chance that I do have it.

Thank you for your reply.

gorgeouslawgirl

Postby gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:57 pm

Barbie wrote:

This. My fiance has (apparently severely) ADHD--diagnosed when he was 5y.o, and was on medication until recently. I'm confused because you must be at least be 21 or so years old-- I'm sure you've been to TONS of doctors. If you think you have ADHD so badly, and you now only "possibly" have it, it doesn't sound like that at the small chance you do, its that bad. When some people do poorly on tests or in law school, they search for an answer because they ARE smart enough to do well (they are sure). Searching for an answer, especially one like having ADHD which I am not sure if can be actually 100% proved, I'm sure you will find one. I do know that my fiance refused to get special treatment on his tests, etc in college because he says that his job in the future won't regard him as special or different when he needs to actually do his work. I'm not trying to say you for sure don't have it, I just think the whole thing sounds a little fishy and thats why your professors may have disregarded it.

I do not think nor pray that I have severe ADHD. I am a very smart, bright individual whose scores on standardized tests began to decrease in my high school years in correlation to the onset of this chronic illness. My exceptional talent and intelligence is one of the main reasons why I believe that my doctors in my hometown did not want to test me for such an "off the wall" illness.

Of course it was not until I arrived in Naples that a very skilled, proficient, medical physician/researcher produced evidence and research that supported the notion and fact that my chronic illness can create grave problems for my neurological system and functioning.

THIS is the very reason why now they would like to do a full testing for ADHD, before I become labeled with such a neurological disorder.

Thanks for your reply!

gorgeouslawgirl

Postby gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:02 pm

LSATWIZ wrote:If she really is gorgeous, she is probably used to such treatment. You can't give someone preferential treatment their entire life, then treat them equally and expect everything to be cool.

Lol, thanks for the "dark sarcasm". In actuality, I am indeed very gorgeous inside and out, and yet, preferential treatment has never been anything I am used to. Of course, when indeed desiring to have an equal opportunity at the same chances offered to someone who is not "medically" challenged, there is a such thing called..let's say...."reasonable accommodations" for disabilities.

You see, I am just one of those individuals seeking "reasonable accommodations."

As always, thank you for the reply! :wink:

LSATWIZ

Postby LSATWIZ » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:10 pm

Do you have a disability? I am in the minority in that I do consider ADHD a problem I empathize with, but to call it a disability is incorrect. To expect the accommodations of a student who is deaf/blind, in a wheelchair is self absorbed.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:13 pm

LSATWIZ wrote:Do you have a disability? I am in the minority in that I do consider ADHD a problem I empathize with, but to call it a disability is incorrect. To expect the accommodations of a student who is deaf/blind, in a wheelchair is self absorbed.

She is saying she has another issue but hasn't mentioned what exactly it is.

booyaskeedaddy

Postby booyaskeedaddy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:17 pm

LSATWIZ wrote:Do you have a disability? I am in the minority in that I do consider ADHD a problem I empathize with, but to call it a disability is incorrect. To expect the accommodations of a student who is deaf/blind, in a wheelchair is self absorbed.

Are you retarded?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:22 pm

So, you are in Ave Maria with bad grades? That's all the info I need to say leave immediately.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:23 pm

This.

I mean, what possible accommodation could they give you? More time on the exam, maybe.. or have a note taker - but using your time effectively and taking proper notes is a pretty damn useful skill even at the UG level.

Ave Maria is a pretty bad school from what I've heard. Am I correct in thinking that your scholarship was stipulated, so you no longer have it?

URalum

Postby URalum » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:24 pm

This whole discussion is a joke. You can't be a practicing attorney if you can't write cogent sentences so you should probably abandon the venture all together.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Doritos wrote:So, you are in Ave Maria with bad grades? That's all the info I need to say leave immediately.

But where should she go??

Is the question to leave law school in general, or to try to find another one that will take you?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:29 pm

URalum wrote:This whole discussion is a joke. You can't be a practicing attorney if you can't write cogent sentences so you should probably abandon the venture all together.

There are many lawyers who practice with a disability. In fact, we have one such attorney who cannot spell words if his life depended on it who used to frequent this board. This is such an ignorant statement with no basis.

Where would she go? Anywhere but law school. It's obvious that running ~15k in debt to test the waters is much better than 60k when they decide to cut her anyways because she's not cutting it and they (lol) want to maintain their ranking. :roll:

gorgeouslawgirl

Postby gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:39 pm

booyaskeedaddy wrote:

Are you retarded?

Retarded? I think mentally challenged is the "politically correct" term, but, no, I am not mentally handicapped. And, just to implement knowledge on this matter, ADHD IS a disability, according to ADA and NALSWD.

I have IBS/Crohn's Disease, which is a chronic illness(ADA and NALSWD designated disability) that has started to affect my neurological system and as caused me to experience severe anxiety attacks.

Thanks

gorgeouslawgirl

Postby gorgeouslawgirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:44 pm

URalum wrote:This whole discussion is a joke. You can't be a practicing attorney if you can't write cogent sentences so you should probably abandon the venture all together.

Excuse me, but I can write cogent sentences. Of course, I am allergic to ignorant comments or ignorant people. If this discussion is a joke, I guess you are the entertaining clown for the day. Fired! Ciao!

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:55 pm

You need to have a history of ADD for the school to accommodate you, not to mention that you wrote you "possibly" had ADHD coupled with the fact that you only "found out" that you had ADD after you took your finals and now you want a redo because you might possibly just maybe have ADD? Give me a break.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Barbie wrote:
Doritos wrote:So, you are in Ave Maria with bad grades? That's all the info I need to say leave immediately.

Is the question to leave law school in general, or to try to find another one that will take you?

If you want to be an attorney look to see if another school will take you but I don't think schools worth attending will just let you join up after taking a semester unless you transfer (aka have good grades). If no schools will take you and you are stuck at Ave Maria with bad grades I would personally drop out. I'm sure you are well aware of the state of the legal market and Ave Maria grads with bad grades (especially an F) are not going to be in a good place

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Doritos wrote:
Barbie wrote:

If you want to be an attorney look to see if another school will take you but I don't think schools worth attending will just let you join up after taking a semester unless you transfer (aka have good grades). If no schools will take you and you are stuck at Ave Maria with bad grades I would personally drop out. I'm sure you are well aware of the state of the legal market and Ave Maria grads with bad grades (especially an F) are not going to be in a good place

I believe OP also has the option of dropping out and later reapplying to law school. But yeah, transferring seems very unlikely since no school will want to take a transfer student with poor grades.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:01 pm

FiveSermon wrote:You need to have a history of ADD for the school to accommodate you, not to mention that you wrote you "possibly" had ADHD coupled with the fact that you only "found out" that you had ADD after you took your finals and now you want a redo because you might possibly just maybe have ADD? Give me a break.

gorgeouslawgirl wrote: I have IBS/Crohn's Disease, which is a chronic illness(ADA and NALSWD designated disability) that has started to affect my neurological system and as caused me to experience severe anxiety attacks.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:04 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Doritos wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I believe OP also has the option of dropping out and later reapplying to law school. But yeah, transferring seems very unlikely since no school will want to take a transfer student with poor grades.

Is that because of the illness? Because my understanding is you can't drop out after you get bad grades and then reapply. On apps they ask if you have attended any other schools. I mean if this was possible wouldn't everybody who had crappy grades just drop out, reapply and get a mulligan?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”