I Messed up.. Do I still have a shot at columbia?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AtlasNYC

I Messed up.. Do I still have a shot at columbia?

Postby AtlasNYC » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:15 am

Well I have a 3.4 gpa, will get it to 3.5 after this semester and summer classes and apply for law school this fall. I'm taking the Lsats June then again in early fall. I am looking at a high 160 (around 167-168) from what im getting on my practice scores. I will get it up tho by june with intense studying so a 170+. I was hoping to go to Columbia law when I started my undergrad. Unfortunately, I really fell off track. I am currently attending CUNY Baruch College for a Finance Degree. I am honestly feeling very depressed right now because I always had columbia in my head freshman year but really got side tracked with work and other stuff. Please tell me where I am looking at for law school with a 3.5 gpa and 170ish lsat. I dont think I have a shot at columbia now because median gpa is 3.7 and lsat is 172 from their website. But if you think there is anything else they look at that would make my acceptance more likely, please do share. Thank you very much.

vanwinkle

Re: I Messed up.. Do I still have a shot at columbia?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:19 am

Nobody can really help until you have your actual LSAT score. Even 1 point of difference can change things. You're asking for speculation that's not worth most people's time, so just push as hard as you can to get that 170+, and the highest possible score you can get, and then come back and ask and we can all tell you what your odds of getting into every school are based on your actual score.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:44 am

175+ would still give you a shot at Columbia.

1evilo.aihpos

Postby 1evilo.aihpos » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:20 am

175+ and ed = good shot

can you extend UG...

AtlasNYC

Postby AtlasNYC » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:24 am

I can extend undergrad but the max I can get is a 3.6. Right now I'm going to get a 3.54. Will the .06 make a real difference as I'm going to be wasting a year? And also I have 9 credits from long island university that I took in high school. They are 4.0's and they appear as transfer credits on my transcript. Do law schools take this into account?

Thanks for all the help guys. I kno I am throwing my LSAT number in the air as I have not yet taken the actual test but I just wanted to know what Inneeded to score in order to get into Columbia.

glewz

Postby glewz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:40 am

175 = decent shot (not good)

Dunno about the GPA, obv it's better to have a higher #, but are u able to put that kind of guarantee? And it also depends on the other components of your app --> Do you have sufficient softs? WE? LORs? etc.

Edit: Rationale on 175 not being a great shot is that you have a below 25% gpa. Splitters are always hard to predict.
Last edited by glewz on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

1evilo.aihpos

Postby 1evilo.aihpos » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:40 am

Yeah those As will probably be factored in. So that will help.
focus on getting a 175+ and god forbid you dont get columbia, you will at least get NYU or chicago, or maybe michigan with some money.

AtlasNYC

Postby AtlasNYC » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:01 am

alright thanks a lot. Since the transfer credits count I guess I'll have a 3.55 gps and hopefully I can get a LSAT in that range.

My soft factors include: 3 political internships for long island politicians and a NYC congresswoman, I worked at a government office (town hall) as an assitant clerk and am currently a legal assistant at a small law firm. I also have community service at the hospital and a bunch of positions in clubs through my college career (from secretary to two vp positions), I am also starting my own club this spring to register voters at my school. I can get a nice Rec from the chief legal officer at my firm (who I directly work under), the supervisor of long island (who I worked under before) and a professor at Baruch. All of them can write very detailed personal letters. I also worked at a small finance firm as an intern under the senior partner organizing client databases and started a business through this junior achievement program senior year of highschool working with the long island islanders selling merchandise.

How far do you think these softs will go? In my opinion I'm guessing they are average with other kids applying to Columbia =/

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:52 am

Your softs won't really matter much. You have them, they're not embarrassing, so they won't hurt you. They just won't help. Plenty of CLS people don't have amazing softs, don't worry.

My BF had around a 3.55 when he applied to Columbia and he got in with a 175. I had a 3.71 from my undergrad but it was a 3.81 with community college classes I had taken in high school and I got in with the 3.81 and a 170.

Basically, you need to work on raising the GPA, but at this point the LSAT is the most important thing for you. You would definitely have a shot with a 175+. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”