Addendum??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thekunstis

Addendum??

Postby thekunstis » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:10 am

I noticed some of the schools that I am applying to ask if your academics have ever been interupted for a semester or more. I took a spring semester off my junior year to live abroad and volunteered for a non for-profit hunger relief orginization. Should my answer to this question be yes? Or are the schools only asking in regard to disciplinary circumstances? If yes, I would like to write an addendum explaining the circumstances. Is there a suggested lenth for such an addendum? Would a paragraph suffice?

flcath

Re: Addendum??

Postby flcath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:14 am

thekunstis wrote:I noticed some of the schools that I am applying to ask if your academics have ever been interupted for a semester or more. I took a spring semester off my junior year to live abroad and volunteered for a non for-profit hunger relief orginization. Should my answer to this question be yes? Or are the schools only asking in regard to disciplinary circumstances? If yes, I would like to write an addendum explaining the circumstances. Is there a suggested lenth for such an addendum? Would a paragraph suffice?

Do it. Two sentences or less.

Even if it were disciplinary it wouldn't hurt you.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:15 am

If they ask if your education was interrupted for a semester or more and your education was interrupted for a semester, then you're correct; you should answer yes to the question. A short explanatory paragraph will be perfectly fine.

thekunstis

Postby thekunstis » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:20 am

One more question should: How long should "Why" essays be? As long as PS?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:21 am

thekunstis wrote:One more question should: How long should "Why" essays be? As long as PS?

Not as long as a PS. Generally one double-spaced page or less.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:49 am

Wait, so you took a semester off to work abroad for a non-profit organization that fights hunger and you think this might hurt you?

Answer yes to this question. Tell them what you did. Not only will it not hurt you, but it will draw their attention to your desire to do some public-interest work. This can definitely work out in your favor.

And yes, 1 paragraph would be appropriate.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:51 am

birdlaw117 wrote:Wait, so you took a semester off to work abroad for a non-profit organization that fights hunger and you think this might hurt you?

Answer yes to this question. Tell them what you did. Not only will it not hurt you, but it will draw their attention to your desire to do some public-interest work. This can definitely work out in your favor.

:?:

He didn't say he thought it would hurt.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:52 am

eskimo wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Wait, so you took a semester off to work abroad for a non-profit organization that fights hunger and you think this might hurt you?

I suppose not explicitly, the tone just seemed to imply it to me. Sorry :oops:

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:54 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
eskimo wrote:

I suppose not explicitly, the tone just seemed to imply it to me. Sorry :oops:

Haha no worries. OP's got some great numbers and you're right, this will probably help.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:58 am

I feel like often times soft factors such as this are easily overlooked. However, if you're able to legitimately write an addendum and draw their attention to it, I feel like it will be noticed and will give OP a boost (as much as a soft like this can).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”