.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

.

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:05 am

.
Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:08 am

Shawh wrote:Hey, I made a poor decision and selected a really uninteresting 400 level political science course. I feel like I won't be able to get myself motivated enough to get a 3.9-4.0 in the course, and was wondering if I should change it to pass/fail. I still have 5 weeks to decide.

My GPA right now is 3.89, and I am almost a senior. This would be my only pass/fail. Do y'all recommend it?

Some friends told me that if you change a course to pass/fail (my school sets it as Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory), then law schools will count it as the lowest grade possible (2.0 to pass, e.g.). But, a quick search on the forums leads me to believe this is wrong.


They are wrong. I would change to P/F if I were you.

TheTallOne0602
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:22 am

Shawh wrote:Hey, I made a poor decision and selected a really uninteresting 400 level political science course. I feel like I won't be able to get myself motivated enough to get a 3.9-4.0 in the course, and was wondering if I should change it to pass/fail. I still have 5 weeks to decide.

My GPA right now is 3.89, and I am almost a senior. This would be my only pass/fail. Do y'all recommend it?

Some friends told me that if you change a course to pass/fail (my school sets it as Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory), then law schools will count it as the lowest grade possible (2.0 to pass, e.g.). But, a quick search on the forums leads me to believe this is wrong.


This is a strange, prevailing rumor that is not true anywhere. Med schools don't look at it like this, law schools don't look at it like this; as far as I know, nobody looks at it like this.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:24 am

As someone who has a P/F class on their transcript, I assure you that it has no effect on your LSDAS GPA (unless you fail).

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby hijodehombre » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:25 am

Shawh wrote:Some friends told me that if you change a course to pass/fail (my school sets it as Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory), then law schools will count it as the lowest grade possible (2.0 to pass, e.g.).


Take the class pass/fail then find new friends.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:26 am

.
Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

etown989
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby etown989 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:18 am

Shawh wrote:Hahaha, okay. Thanks for the input. Just wanted to make sure that one P/F course wouldn't affect my chances at the t14 schools.


early prediction of.... GUNNER

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby T6Hopeful » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:23 am

hijodehombre wrote:
Shawh wrote:Some friends told me that if you change a course to pass/fail (my school sets it as Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory), then law schools will count it as the lowest grade possible (2.0 to pass, e.g.).


Take the class pass/fail then find new friends.

This. Although at my school the teacher still usually gives you your final grade informally, so you'll kick yourself if you got an A :roll: I took a really cool one-credit special topics course though and took it pass/no credit just so I wouldn't have to worry about the A. Definitely took the stress off of having to do "well" when I clearly was taking it for fun/to learn.

I don't know if you actually mean pass/fail as in a D or an F is still a failing grade, but at my school it's Pass/No Credit. A no credit (D or below) might look suspicious, but it's not punitive in any way. Just interested on my end to see how other schools work - found out today that one of my friends at another college in my state has to take a physical education class to graduate, whereas I don't.

User avatar
OnlyLivingBoyinNY
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:09 am

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:15 pm

Shawh wrote:Hey, I made a poor decision and selected a really uninteresting 400 level political science course. I feel like I won't be able to get myself motivated enough to get a 3.9-4.0 in the course, and was wondering if I should change it to pass/fail. I still have 5 weeks to decide.

My GPA right now is 3.89, and I am almost a senior. This would be my only pass/fail. Do y'all recommend it?

Some friends told me that if you change a course to pass/fail (my school sets it as Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory), then law schools will count it as the lowest grade possible (2.0 to pass, e.g.). But, a quick search on the forums leads me to believe this is wrong.


No, I don't recommend it. That is just being lazy for the sake of being lazy. Why don't you just do the work and get an A? Poli Sci is not something you will have to put that many study hours into.

foxtrottortxof
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby foxtrottortxof » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:21 pm

I took almost the maximum number of courses pass/fail that I could take and still graduate. I did it for any course I wasn't confident I could get an A in. Made it into T6 minus Yale.

HowdyYall
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby HowdyYall » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:36 pm

have taken 4 courses pass/fail and my entire junior year (which I studied abroad) only counted pass/fail. Made it into two of the T6 so far and I am below most of their medians

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby Sentry » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:26 pm

I had a few P/F's and a few W's and made it into a T6.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby arism87 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:30 pm

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:
Shawh wrote:Hey, I made a poor decision and selected a really uninteresting 400 level political science course. I feel like I won't be able to get myself motivated enough to get a 3.9-4.0 in the course, and was wondering if I should change it to pass/fail. I still have 5 weeks to decide.

My GPA right now is 3.89, and I am almost a senior. This would be my only pass/fail. Do y'all recommend it?

Some friends told me that if you change a course to pass/fail (my school sets it as Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory), then law schools will count it as the lowest grade possible (2.0 to pass, e.g.). But, a quick search on the forums leads me to believe this is wrong.


No, I don't recommend it. That is just being lazy for the sake of being lazy. Why don't you just do the work and get an A? Poli Sci is not something you will have to put that many study hours into.


I'm all for laziness when it won't hurt you. Plus I studied a lot for my poli sci classes.. in retrospect I wish I'd dropped that major and kept the other 2.. GPA would be considerably higher. Silly law school.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:52 pm

arism87 wrote:
OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:
Shawh wrote:Hey, I made a poor decision and selected a really uninteresting 400 level political science course. I feel like I won't be able to get myself motivated enough to get a 3.9-4.0 in the course, and was wondering if I should change it to pass/fail. I still have 5 weeks to decide.

My GPA right now is 3.89, and I am almost a senior. This would be my only pass/fail. Do y'all recommend it?

Some friends told me that if you change a course to pass/fail (my school sets it as Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory), then law schools will count it as the lowest grade possible (2.0 to pass, e.g.). But, a quick search on the forums leads me to believe this is wrong.


No, I don't recommend it. That is just being lazy for the sake of being lazy. Why don't you just do the work and get an A? Poli Sci is not something you will have to put that many study hours into.


I'm all for laziness when it won't hurt you.


Especially before law school. It might be a long, long time before you can genuinely be lazy again without having it seriously bite you in the ass.

User avatar
swfangirl
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby swfangirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:18 pm

Sentry wrote:I had a few P/F's and a few W's and made it into a T6.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:58 pm

.
Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OnlyLivingBoyinNY
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:09 am

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Shawh wrote:
arism87 wrote:I'm all for laziness when it won't hurt you. Plus I studied a lot for my poli sci classes.. in retrospect I wish I'd dropped that major and kept the other 2.. GPA would be considerably higher. Silly law school.


This is what I'm thinking. I've put a decent amount of effort into the rest of my courses as an undergrad, as my GPA reflects. So, slacking off on one class that I just don't find interesting doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Just wanted to get it confirmed--and it looks like it has been overwhelmingly! Thanks!



I just looked at this for the first time since I wrote that, and I think I came across as a little pompous. So, I'd like to apologize, and I think you are making a good decision.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:54 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:Definitely took the stress off of having to do "well" when I clearly was taking it for fun/to learn.


I always hated how those things don't normally seem to line up quite so perfectly.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby clintonius » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:59 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
hijodehombre wrote:
Shawh wrote:Some friends told me that if you change a course to pass/fail (my school sets it as Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory), then law schools will count it as the lowest grade possible (2.0 to pass, e.g.).


Take the class pass/fail then find new friends.

This. Although at my school the teacher still usually gives you your final grade informally, so you'll kick yourself if you got an A :roll: I took a really cool one-credit special topics course though and took it pass/no credit just so I wouldn't have to worry about the A. Definitely took the stress off of having to do "well" when I clearly was taking it for fun/to learn.

I don't know if you actually mean pass/fail as in a D or an F is still a failing grade, but at my school it's Pass/No Credit. A no credit (D or below) might look suspicious, but it's not punitive in any way. Just interested on my end to see how other schools work - found out today that one of my friends at another college in my state has to take a physical education class to graduate, whereas I don't.
Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure the bolded is incorrect and that a no credit will have the same effect as an F on your LSAC transcript.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Pass/Fail Course, UG

Postby glitched » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:38 pm

swfangirl wrote:
Sentry wrote:I had a few P/F's and a few W's and made it into a T6.


+1. I had an entire summer session be p/f. And the previous semester before that I think 25+% of my units were p/f. But I was going through some personal stuff and wrote an addendum (but I don't think I needed it).




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Maaza and 5 guests