Actually, a T3 school is not a dead end. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Helmholtz

Gold

Re: Actually, a T3 school is not a dead end.

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:29 am

BaronDetroit wrote:Courts favor the little guy- not the guy the Vault Firms represent. So the job of a lawyer is to find little guys who want money.
Whaaaaa

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:30 am

BaronDetroit wrote:Let me start with this and I think we should start with this: Contrary to how most people think in terms of legal education- lawyers sue for money. No matter what allegation it is- lawyers want money and preferably lots of it. Courts favor the little guy- not the guy the Vault Firms represent. So the job of a lawyer is to find little guys who want money.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:34 am

BaronDetroit wrote:Let me start with this and I think we should start with this: Contrary to how most people think in terms of legal education- lawyers sue for money. No matter what allegation it is- lawyers want money and preferably lots of it. Courts favor the little guy- not the guy the Vault Firms represent. So the job of a lawyer is to find little guys who want money.
hmm.. elaborate plz?? I really want to see where you are going with this.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:38 am

Helmholtz wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:Courts favor the little guy- not the guy the Vault Firms represent. So the job of a lawyer is to find little guys who want money.
Whaaaaa
Didn't you hear? *THE MAN* finally lost his grip over the little guys and their wallet.

EDIT: It was Obama's fault. That sly lawyer, always willing to help the little guy.
Last edited by ResolutePear on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:38 am

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jdhonest

Bronze

Post by jdhonest » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:39 am

Lol...no.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:40 am

jdhonest wrote:

Lol...no.
BaronDetroit, indeed - he is a man among men.

He's going to graduate Princeton Law in top 10%. You guys wait and see.

BaronDetroit

New

Post by BaronDetroit » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:44 am

A lawyer is "one whose profession is to give legal advice and assistance to clients and represent them in court or in other legal matters."

I guess my overarching view is that the vast majority of law students should certainly just admit that lawyers are there to represent clients in extracting money from deep pocket entitites. The vast majority of clients are indigent, working class people who need money. So, to appropriately assist any potential T3 or T4 law students reading this- I am arguing that this career choice is certainly not a dead end.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:49 am

BaronDetroit wrote:A lawyer is "one whose profession is to give legal advice and assistance to clients and represent them in court or in other legal matters."

I guess my overarching view is that the vast majority of law students should certainly just admit that lawyers are there to represent clients in extracting money from deep pocket entitites. The vast majority of clients are indigent, working class people who need money. So, to appropriately assist any potential T3 or T4 law students reading this- I am arguing that this career choice is certainly not a dead end.
Your posts are painfully ignorant...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:50 am

BaronDetroit wrote:A lawyer is "one whose profession is to give legal advice and assistance to clients and represent them in court or in other legal matters."

Wait, so how is this properly assisting potential Tier 3/4 students reading this? Go find people who want money? uhhhhhh

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:04 am

Y'all are getting trolled but good.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:04 am

lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

And that was just before I got to the bolded. Then it was more like:

lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololollolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

You be trollin right?

BaronDetroit

New

Post by BaronDetroit » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 am

Not trolling. I'm simply arguing that law students need to think intelligently instead of solely ingratiating themselves with traditional lawyering. You should identify conflict pairings and the respective objectives. Such as your employment situation upon graduation. New lawyer needs money- deep pockets have money. New lawyer finds claimant- lawyer launches lawsuit. Dummy this down instead of making it soo complicated. Lawyers pay 20 dollar an hour legal secretaries to do all that tough research and stuff.

All this employment stuff is just soo silly to me. When you understand what lawyers do then you should certainly agree that T3/T4 schools are worthy of your attendance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:26 am

BaronDetroit wrote:Not trolling. I'm simply arguing that law students need to think intelligently instead of solely ingratiating themselves with traditional lawyering. You should identify conflict pairings and the respective objectives. Such as your employment situation upon graduation. New lawyer needs money- deep pockets have money. New lawyer finds claimant- lawyer launches lawsuit. Dummy this down instead of making it soo complicated. Lawyers pay 20 dollar an hour legal secretaries to do all that tough research and stuff.

All this employment stuff is just soo silly to me. When you understand what lawyers do then you should certainly agree that T3/T4 schools are worthy of your attendance.
Okay, I think I'm getting the joke. I have to admit that you had me for a while.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:38 am

BaronDetroit wrote:Not trolling. I'm simply arguing that law students need to think intelligently instead of solely ingratiating themselves with traditional lawyering. You should identify conflict pairings and the respective objectives. Such as your employment situation upon graduation. New lawyer needs money- deep pockets have money. New lawyer finds claimant- lawyer launches lawsuit. Dummy this down instead of making it soo complicated. Lawyers pay 20 dollar an hour legal secretaries to do all that tough research and stuff.

My cat knows more about what being a lawyer entails than you do. But I'm fairly convinced you're someone's alt and you're trollin' good.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:54 am

vanwinkle wrote:Y'all are getting trolled but good.

jaestro

New

Post by jaestro » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:02 am

Do they have sites like this for all jobs?

Like for acting- If you aren't a product of disney as a kid, or you haven't starred in a new zealand soap opera do not goto hollywood.

99% of the kids who are going to a TTT or TTTT are not on this site. I gained a lot of useful information from this site, but it has become clear that the only non risks are HYS attendees, or someone with no debt and an automatic job. Of course, some bets are safer than others, but these threads are just so repetitive, and somewhat addictive, that I need to stop going on this site. No wonder we are all hoping to make big law. Look how we spend our spare time. I really only have a beef with the extreme pessimists who tell everyone else what horrible decisions they are making. I understand the percentages favor those in top 3, or Top 6, Top 10, T14, etc, but aside from the hys students, there will be at least 10 percent of all students from T14 who are extremely disappointed. And there will be 1% of the kids who went to TTT or TTTT who will be laughing how successful they are when they were told they should not attend school, when they are doing better than most T14 grads. And there will be 10-20 percent of students in T1 and T2 with little debt and in the same or better position than half of the kids in T14, except while T14 grads are still paying off their 200k, state school grads are putting a down payment on a house.
Of course, 75 percent or more of the kids in TTT and TTTT are pretty screwed, and 50 percent in TT, and T1 might also be severely depressed. All I'm saying is, no one needs to get cocky. If someone tells a TT or TTT or TTTT kid that he will be disappointed being the top ten perecent of his class, because grades are arbitrary and one has no control of the outcome, then the poster needs to recognize that 10 percent or more of his prestigious class is also going to be royally f*ckd, which he could very well be a part of.

Again, I found this site very useful, but I do recommend for those people who have lawyers around them to seek advice firsthand. I mean we are all anxious to go to school next year, and the fact that we are wasting time thinking about it, and speculating about all of the same repetitive issues, over and over, I know I will regret if I spend my last eight months of freedom doing this.
So I'm done. Thanks again for the information, but like cable, I've already seen these shows, and the reruns are making me stupid, the I've got to pull the plug.

One.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:06 am

jaestro wrote:Do they have sites like this for all jobs?

Like for acting- If you aren't a product of disney as a kid, or you haven't starred in a new zealand soap opera do not goto hollywood.

99% of the kids who are going to a TTT or TTTT are not ...
This was how far I got before I got the feeling you post was going to suck. Then I stopped reading.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:06 am

The visualization of this thread in a music video - it's not a rick roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4gyJsY0mc

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:09 am

ResolutePear wrote:The visualization of this thread in a music video - it's not a rick roll:
how r da drugs bro

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:11 am

rad law wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:The visualization of this thread in a music video - it's not a rick roll:
how r da drugs bro
Not too bad. Better than what the institution has, for sure.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:14 am

romothesavior wrote:

My cat knows more about what being a lawyer entails than you do. But I'm fairly convinced you're someone's alt and you're trollin' good.
Outed as being a man with a cat.
:mrgreen:

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:17 am

Barbie wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Outed as being a man with a cat.
:mrgreen:
Didn't you get the memo? Cats are manly.

They tell people: "Hey, look at me. Now look at him. *A bunch of nonsense.* I'm buying kitty litter - MEOW!"

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:24 am

99% of the kids who are going to a TTT or TTTT are not on this site. I gained a lot of useful information from this site, but it has become clear that the only non risks are HYS attendees, or someone with no debt and an automatic job. Of course, some bets are safer than others, but these threads are just so repetitive, and somewhat addictive, that I need to stop going on this site. No wonder we are all hoping to make big law. Look how we spend our spare time. I really only have a beef with the extreme pessimists who tell everyone else what horrible decisions they are making. I understand the percentages favor those in top 3, or Top 6, Top 10, T14, etc, but aside from the hys students, there will be at least 10 percent of all students from T14 who are extremely disappointed. And there will be 1% of the kids who went to TTT or TTTT who will be laughing how successful they are when they were told they should not attend school, when they are doing better than most T14 grads. And there will be 10-20 percent of students in T1 and T2 with little debt and in the same or better position than half of the kids in T14, except while T14 grads are still paying off their 200k, state school grads are putting a down payment on a house.
Of course, 75 percent or more of the kids in TTT and TTTT are pretty screwed, and 50 percent in TT, and T1 might also be severely depressed. All I'm saying is, no one needs to get cocky. If someone tells a TT or TTT or TTTT kid that he will be disappointed being the top ten perecent of his class, because grades are arbitrary and one has no control of the outcome, then the poster needs to recognize that 10 percent or more of his prestigious class is also going to be royally f*ckd, which he could very well be a part of.

Again, I found this site very useful, but I do recommend for those people who have lawyers around them to seek advice firsthand. I mean we are all anxious to go to school next year, and the fact that we are wasting time thinking about it, and speculating about all of the same repetitive issues, over and over, I know I will regret if I spend my last eight months of freedom doing this.
So I'm done. Thanks again for the information, but like cable, I've already seen these shows, and the reruns are making me stupid, the I've got to pull the plug.

One.
why do i keep hearing this? that TLS is all about T3/T6/T10/T14 or bust in ALL circumstances? are we all reading the same site? ive come to the conclusion that i just must be reading ppl's comments more carefully...sure in GENERAL TTTs are not smart choices. they are not good investments. we're not saying NO ONE gets a job out of a TTT, just that it is a bad bet in most regards. if it is a TTT that is strong in the local area where you want to practice and you will not incur a lot of debt going there (scholarships, etc.), it can be a good decision. GENERALLY it is smartest to go to the highest rank school you can because GENERALLY law students want biglaw post-grad (those at the top) to pay off the massive debts, and GENERALLY the higher the school rank, the better the odds of landing biglaw. now which school a person chooses comes down to a lot of factors, and those who ask specific questions w/ personalized details tend to get specific answers. those who say some blanket statement are met with general responses. this is not weird.

and while talking to lawyers is a smart move, if you're wondering about employment prospects, not any lawyer will do. unless they are younger associates that just went through the process or are hiring managers or something, they will be from a TOTALLY DIFFERENT ERA and have little knowledge about today's legal hiring market because it is not their job to know.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:27 am

DoubleChecks wrote:

One.
why do i keep hearing this? that TLS is all about T3/T6/T10/T14 or bust in ALL circumstances? are we all reading the same site? ive come to the conclusion that i just must be reading ppl's comments more carefully...sure in GENERAL TTTs are not smart choices. they are not good investments. we're not saying NO ONE gets a job out of a TTT, just that it is a bad bet in most regards. if it is a TTT that is strong in the local area where you want to practice and you will not incur a lot of debt going there (scholarships, etc.), it can be a good decision. GENERALLY it is smartest to go to the highest rank school you can because GENERALLY law students want biglaw post-grad (those at the top) to pay off the massive debts, and GENERALLY the higher the school rank, the better the odds of landing biglaw. now which school a person chooses comes down to a lot of factors, and those who ask specific questions w/ personalized details tend to get specific answers. those who say some blanket statement are met with general responses. this is not weird.

and while talking to lawyers is a smart move, if you're wondering about employment prospects, not any lawyer will do. unless they are younger associates that just went through the process or are hiring managers or something, they will be from a TOTALLY DIFFERENT ERA and have little knowledge about today's legal hiring market because it is not their job to know.
It amuses me that people come to these boards to justify their 2.5GPA + 145 LSAT, knowing full and well they do not have a shot in the dark of anything above Coastal, Cooley, or Ave Maria.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”