Seccond year college, older student please provide guidance. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Redemption

New

Seccond year college, older student please provide guidance.

Post by Redemption » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:16 pm

I am 40 year old, I decided to finish a degree with hopes of ultimately attending law school. I am enrolling as a full time student and currently I am undecided about a major. A friend whom is an attorney recommended Business Management. I personally enjoy computers and was thinking about a computer science degree. Could some of the students currently attending law school provide sound advice on what type of major they recommend and why?

Thanks

akili

Gold

Re: Seccond year college, older student please provide guidance.

Post by akili » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:18 pm

Do what you are interested in and get a good GPA. It's a win-win. Law schools don't really care what you majored in. Engineering can help you get IP but that's about it.

edited to add: If you like comp.sci, go for that. There are still good jobs there even if you decide law isn't for you.
Last edited by akili on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:19 pm

w.e you are interested in that will afford you the highest gpa

the decision should be some sort of balance between those two factors

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:25 pm

Im not in law school yet, but choose a major that you like, and would be happy ( and able) to do something with it afterwords, if your plans change and law school is no longer in them.

Redemption

New

Post by Redemption » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:52 am

Thanks for the sound advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Redemption

New

Post by Redemption » Mon May 23, 2011 12:07 am

Just wanted to maybe update this thread and my progress; one semester down and 9 credits out of the way. Although I was intimidated to go back to college I am happy to report that I passed my classes and did a little better than I expected, considering that I have been away from school for so long. I ended up with two A's and one B. I am now more determined than ever to continue my education and hope that I can make it as far as law school. I decided on taking Business Management as my major.
Last edited by Redemption on Mon May 23, 2011 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:10 am

It looks like you're doing a decent job already. Just remember to get as high a GPA as possible and after that the only thing that will really matter will be the LSAT, which is learnable with good practice. Good luck.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Mon May 23, 2011 12:55 am

Just get the best GPA possible. Good luck!

Redemption

New

Post by Redemption » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:27 pm

Just wanted to say hello and update, two more classes down and two to go before December. On the two classes I finished in October I obtained two A's!!! Woot thrilled about that, the other two that I am taking are looking like A's so far. I am one class away from finishing my AA and I might be able to test out the last class in December. After that I am looking about another two years before I can consider law school. Now I have a huge concern, I did not do that well in my earlier years of college. As a result my cumulative GPA right now is fairly low 3.10 :( Even if I get nothing but good grades moving forward, I doubt the GPA will increase dramatically. This will keep me from all the good Universities?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Redemption wrote:Just wanted to say hello and update, two more classes down and two to go before December. On the two classes I finished in October I obtained two A's!!! Woot thrilled about that, the other two that I am taking are looking like A's so far. I am one class away from finishing my AA and I might be able to test out the last class in December. After that I am looking about another two years before I can consider law school. Now I have a huge concern, I did not do that well in my earlier years of college. As a result my cumulative GPA right now is fairly low 3.10 :( Even if I get nothing but good grades moving forward, I doubt the GPA will increase dramatically. This will keep me from all the good Universities?
If you get a score in the 170s, it won't really matter unless you dream of the top 6 schools.

A 3.1 and a 170 will most likely get you a T20 and more than likely a T14. Plus, you still have room to bring it up. Good luck!

Redemption

New

Post by Redemption » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:53 pm

law4vus wrote:
Redemption wrote:Just wanted to say hello and update, two more classes down and two to go before December. On the two classes I finished in October I obtained two A's!!! Woot thrilled about that, the other two that I am taking are looking like A's so far. I am one class away from finishing my AA and I might be able to test out the last class in December. After that I am looking about another two years before I can consider law school. Now I have a huge concern, I did not do that well in my earlier years of college. As a result my cumulative GPA right now is fairly low 3.10 :( Even if I get nothing but good grades moving forward, I doubt the GPA will increase dramatically. This will keep me from all the good Universities?
If you get a score in the 170s, it won't really matter unless you dream of the top 6 schools.

A 3.1 and a 170 will most likely get you a T20 and more than likely a T14. Plus, you still have room to bring it up. Good luck!
Thanks for the prompt reply, I feel a little better now.

ashleyrenee

Bronze

Post by ashleyrenee » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:40 pm

Redemption wrote:
law4vus wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply, I feel a little better now.
Also - you can write an addendum to the schools explaining your low GPA (10 years ago). How you are scoring now (A's and B's) is what you are currently capable of and the addcom will be able to see that :) Don't worry and goodluck!!

Redemption

New

Post by Redemption » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:00 pm

End of semester update. I know this thread looks pointless but it helps me stay focus and hopefully when I finish I can come back and reflect on my journey. Two more classes down, I ended up with four A's this semester!!!! I need one more class to obtain the Associates Degree in Arts, I am going to attempt testing out of a class in January and that will give me the credits I need for the AA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:01 pm

Redemption wrote:End of semester update. I know this thread looks pointless but it helps me stay focus and hopefully when I finish I can come back and reflect on my journey. Two more classes down, I ended up with four A's this semester!!!! I need one more class to obtain the Associates Degree in Arts, I am going to attempt testing out of a class in January and that will give me the credits I need for the AA.
Congrats! :)

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:38 pm

Redemption wrote:I am 40 year old, I decided to finish a degree with hopes of ultimately attending law school. I am enrolling as a full time student and currently I am undecided about a major. A friend whom is an attorney recommended Business Management. I personally enjoy computers and was thinking about a computer science degree. Could some of the students currently attending law school provide sound advice on what type of major they recommend and why?

Thanks

my 2 cents.

Do whatever you enjoy. Grades are becoming worthless because there is no consistency across anything. LSAT is becoming hard to nail since so many people are taking a year off of school to game the LSAT.

If you think you would enjoy computer science, take a few introductory classes and see how you do. Liking computers and doing well in computer science is many times two different things.

Take the time in undergrad to explore. Take those classes you always wanted to take. Make yourself an interesting person. Volunteer and help others when you have time. There are enough unhappy lawyers, don't corner yourself into being another one.

In a tight job market, Science and Engineering gets the nod into law school. Law Schools need people who will get jobs **IP SECURE**.

jared6180

Bronze

Post by jared6180 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:29 pm

If you have a 3.1 after 60 credit hours, and you earn a 3.8-4.0 for the next 60 you could earn a 3.45-3.6. I am an older student, and I am having to rebuild after a disaster of a first year or 30 credits which got me a 2.25 GPA, currently I am between a 2.9-3.05 depending on how the Fall Semester went.

I will advise you to start playing with the LSAT a bit now, even if you just spend 1-2 hours a week on it now, it will help you when you get into full study mode in 3-6 months. its never to early to start on perhaps the most difficult test of your life up to that point.
Last edited by jared6180 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:46 pm

jared6180 wrote:If you have a 3.1 after 60 credit hours, and you earn a 3.8-4.0 for the next 60 you could earn a 3.45-3.6. I am an older student, and I am having to rebuild after a disaster of a first year or 30 credits which got me a 2.25 GPA, currently I am between a 2.9-3.05 depending on how the Fall Semester went.

I will advise you to start playing with the LSAT a bit now, even if you just spend 1-2 hours a week on it now, it will help you when you get into full study mode in 3-6 months. its never to early to start on perhaps the most difficult test of your life.

I hate to break balls, but if you go to law school, the LSAT will not be the most difficult test of your life. Not even remotely close. Law school exams are more difficult for the vast majority of people, and I'm virtually certain that the bar exam will be as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jared6180

Bronze

Post by jared6180 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:02 am

bceagles182 wrote:
I hate to break balls, but if you go to law school, the LSAT will not be the most difficult test of your life. Not even remotely close. Law school exams are more difficult for the vast majority of people, and I'm virtually certain that the bar exam will be as well.
Don't misquote me! LOL! Re-read!

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:18 am

bceagles182 wrote:I hate to break balls, but if you go to law school, the LSAT will not be the most difficult test of your life. Not even remotely close. Law school exams are more difficult for the vast majority of people, and I'm virtually certain that the bar exam will be as well.
Well, in this gentleman's case, the LSAT is likely to be the most important test of his life. He's a splitter, and the LSAT is going to make all the difference for him.

OP: Everybody is right. Keep up the straight A's, but start including some intense LSAT prep time into your weeks. Don't be satisfied until you start hitting the mid-170's. You can still go to a really great law school, and you seem to be on your way. Just give the LSAT its due.

Redemption

New

Post by Redemption » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Semester Update, I was only able to take three classes this semester. Two of them where pre-requisites and one was intended to fulfill the AA degree requirements "Needed 3 more credits". Unfortunately I had to drop one class due to a death in the family. I did finish my two pre-requisite courses and obtained two A's on those classes. So in summary, I graduated this semester with an associates in Arts, I have three credits under my belt towards the BAS and the pre-requisites are out of the way. I was accepted in the Bachelor of Applied Science degree program, the program has a computer component. So when I graduate my BAS specialty will be in Security and Network Assurance (IT Forensics).

I should be able to take a full schedule next semester, I took the summer off. Wife and I are still dealing with her mom's passing. Almost forgot to mention, I received a certificate "I was placed on the Presidents list" 3.8 or better on the semester. I will soon start studying for the LSAT!!!

jared6180

Bronze

Post by jared6180 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Congrats on the President's List. Sorry about your families loss. Remember to try to stay focused and push yourself to get better and better grades.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Redemption

New

Post by Redemption » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:54 pm

jared6180 wrote:Congrats on the President's List. Sorry about your families loss. Remember to try to stay focused and push yourself to get better and better grades.
Thanks for the post and words of encouragement!

lynch

New

Post by lynch » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:41 pm

Congratulation's! and Good luck! :)

jacqlynrey

New

Post by jacqlynrey » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:53 pm

I went to a junior college and got my associates and then transfered and am in the process of getting my bachelors in business admin and sports management.

When LSAC converts your GPA, the +'s and -'s matter. Both colleges I attended had teachers who gave out all grades except for A+'s. I had a few conversations with my teachers at the beginning of the years and told them my plans of law school and the importance of those +'s. I asked if I earned an A+ (meaning above a 97%), if they would mark that in the grade bookand all of them have said yes.

Just an idea to help get that GPA up. The worst thing they can do is say no!

Goodluck!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:18 am

Redemption wrote:Semester Update, I was only able to take three classes this semester. Two of them where pre-requisites and one was intended to fulfill the AA degree requirements "Needed 3 more credits". Unfortunately I had to drop one class due to a death in the family. I did finish my two pre-requisite courses and obtained two A's on those classes. So in summary, I graduated this semester with an associates in Arts, I have three credits under my belt towards the BAS and the pre-requisites are out of the way. I was accepted in the Bachelor of Applied Science degree program, the program has a computer component. So when I graduate my BAS specialty will be in Security and Network Assurance (IT Forensics).

I should be able to take a full schedule next semester, I took the summer off. Wife and I are still dealing with her mom's passing. Almost forgot to mention, I received a certificate "I was placed on the Presidents list" 3.8 or better on the semester. I will soon start studying for the LSAT!!!
Congrats and keep moving forward..... Also, the degree you are getting is quite marketable if you do decide to skip LS....

Either way, great job.....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”