Admissions Help.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Warriors1989

Admissions Help.

Postby Warriors1989 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:48 pm

I have a 3.0 in a difficult major and a high ranking private college and have gotten high 160's/170 on my LSATs. I have a strong resume (including Teach for America, Study Abroad, several internships and work experience). Also, I have/can get very strong letters of recommendation. I was just wondering if these are decent stats. I know my GPA is no where near being as high as it needs to be for the competitive schools. Any advice would be much appreciated.

NoJob

Re: Admissions Help.

Postby NoJob » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:11 pm

Warriors1989 wrote:I have a 3.0 in a difficult major and a high ranking private college and have gotten high 160's/170 on my LSATs. I have a strong resume (including Teach for America, Study Abroad, several internships and work experience). Also, I have/can get very strong letters of recommendation. I was just wondering if these are decent stats. I know my GPA is no where near being as high as it needs to be for the competitive schools. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Don't go. If you majored in a legit field, then go for a job in your field.

BTW, why do you want to go LS anyways? It's not Ally McBeal, Law & Order, or the Practice at all.

Warriors1989

Postby Warriors1989 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:19 pm

I'm and English language major...I consider it difficult, but I'm not sure if the admissions office will think of it.

As for why I want to go to law school, I'm currently interning at a criminal defense attorney's office and found that I really enjoy the work, pace and enviornment. I am weighing my options between Law and graduate school.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Is 3.0 your LSDAS GPA? And have you taken the LSAT? If you can pull low to mid 170s, and your LSDAS GPA is actually 3.0, you have a shot at the low end of the T14 schools. If you don't have your LSDAS GPA though, you need to know it can actually go up or down.

Also, if you've been away from school for several years, your GPA is a little less of a concern, especially if you have good WE. Northwestern, for instance, likes WE.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:10 pm

English won't be considered a difficult major by anyone sorry.

Warriors1989

Postby Warriors1989 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:44 pm

and what would you consider a difficult major?

NZA

Postby NZA » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Warriors1989 wrote:and what would you consider a difficult major?

Most hard sciences are considered more difficult.

But law schools don't really care. They only care about the number.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Warriors1989 wrote:I'm and English language major...I consider it difficult, but I'm not sure if the admissions office will think of it.

As for why I want to go to law school, I'm currently interning at a criminal defense attorney's office and found that I really enjoy the work, pace and enviornment. I am weighing my options between Law and graduate school.

bolded for the English fail :mrgreen:

once you get a real LSAT score, come back and reflect on what you want. If it is high enough ( 160s +) and you LSDAS GPA is good enough to get into some good schools, then think about it.

Since you are contemplating another graduate degree program and law school, take the time to really figure out what you want to do. Once you make that decision then begin the applicaiton process for whichever way you choose ( grad program or law school)

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:37 pm

NZA wrote:
Warriors1989 wrote:and what would you consider a difficult major?

Most hard sciences are considered more difficult.

But law schools don't really care. They only care about the number.

yeah, adcoms usually treat majors all the same unless its engineering

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:08 pm

Warriors1989 wrote:I'm and English language major...I consider it difficult, but I'm not sure if the admissions office will think of it.

Is there a PAYING job for you there AFTER YOU ARE LICENSED?

If you truly (and I mean truly) love criminal defense, then you should go to the best law school you can get into at the lowest cost. What part of criminal defense do you find enjoyable? Most of my cases settle before I have to do any work.

Warning. You cannot go bankrupt to get out of your student loans, and the JD really hurts you for non-legal work. Seriously. HR recruiters are not that bright and look for certain things on your resume like work experience in your area. The JD will not help; you will get flake status.
Last edited by NoJob on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:13 pm

FiveSermon wrote:English won't be considered a difficult major by anyone sorry.

English is a notoriously easy major. My roommate in college said English classes were a good place to meet dumb, hot girls. Ditto for psych.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:40 am

NoJob wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:English won't be considered a difficult major by anyone sorry.

English is a notoriously easy major. My roommate in college said English classes were a good place to meet dumb, hot girls. Ditto for psych.

Idk why people always generalize majors like this. I think there are vast differences between schools and even between people. Someone in a "difficult" (hard sciences) major might very well struggle in an English class. But I do agree that English (like sociology, psych, etc) is usually considered easy.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”