Is law school predictor really accurate?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawfreak

Is law school predictor really accurate?

Postby lawfreak » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:44 pm

I have a 158/3.95 (lsdas) and according to law school predictor I should "strongly consider" fordham part time. I'm a bit perplexed because according to LSAC's information, the 25 percentile score for fordham p/t is a 161 LSAT. Additionally, according to law school predictors website, when it says "strongly consider" the outcomes were reasonably close?

I would appreciate any help or if anyone saw the accuracy of lsp for themselves, can they post their results?

Thanks!

kjadkins

Re: Is law school predictor really accurate?

Postby kjadkins » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:50 pm

lawfreak wrote:I have a 158/3.95 (lsdas) and according to law school predictor I should "strongly consider" fordham part time. I'm a bit perplexed because according to LSAC's information, the 25 percentile score for fordham p/t is a 161 LSAT. Additionally, according to law school predictors website, when it says "strongly consider" the outcomes were reasonably close?

I would appreciate any help or if anyone saw the accuracy of lsp for themselves, can they post their results?

Thanks!

I don't have too much experience with LSP's accuracy since I've only heard back from 5 places, but of those five I was rejected from a "consider" (UVA) and accepted to one "strong consider" (W&M) and three "admit"s (W&L, Alabama and Cincinnati), so I'd say that was pretty spot-on.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm not sure how current the PT data is. LSP lists some PT programs which no longer exist. So it could be a year or two behind.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:04 pm

kjadkins wrote:
lawfreak wrote:I have a 158/3.95 (lsdas) and according to law school predictor I should "strongly consider" fordham part time. I'm a bit perplexed because according to LSAC's information, the 25 percentile score for fordham p/t is a 161 LSAT. Additionally, according to law school predictors website, when it says "strongly consider" the outcomes were reasonably close?

Thanks!

I don't have too much experience with LSP's accuracy since I've only heard back from 5 places, but of those five I was rejected from a "consider" (UVA) and accepted to one "strong consider" (W&M) and three "admit"s (W&L, Alabama and Cincinnati), so I'd say that was pretty spot-on.

What about other "strong considers" that you applied to? how did they turn out?

Edit: Also what about other "Admits"?

LSP gives me an "Admit" at Cornell but I don't think I should be considered that strong of an applicant with a 3.82/168...

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Last year, I was:

Deny: 0/2
Weak Consider: 0/1
Consider: 2 Rejects, 2 WL, 1 WL --> Admit
Admit: 1/1

Not a perfect system, but it has some accuracy. Note: it's less accurate for splitters, which you most certainly are.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:12 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
kjadkins wrote:

Thanks!

LSP gives me an "Admit" at Cornell but I don't think I should be considered that strong of an applicant with a 3.82/168...

I haven't heard back from my other "strong consider"s yet, but there are 3 of them so I'll update TT when I find out.

peter844

Postby peter844 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:13 pm

How Is it computed index numbers?? When it renders the decisions.

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:40 pm

I don't really trust LSP's PT calculator. I think the numbers they have for PT are outdated and also do not properly reflect the recent impact that USNWR had on PT programs. i.e. Factoring in PT numbers in the rankings

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:43 pm

I look at and 'average': LSAC's data, law school predictor, law school numbers, TLS users and the school's site. You can usually get a good idea of where you stand from 3-4 sources.

tarakit

Postby tarakit » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:23 am

The numbers are definitely not current, but in many schools, they have not changed significantly from whatever year they are from. For example, Alabama has a 159 as their 25% and 165 as their 75%. 165 is now their median, and 167 is now their 75%.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:33 am

txadv11 wrote:I look at and 'average': LSAC's data, law school predictor, law school numbers, TLS users and the school's site. You can usually get a good idea of where you stand from 3-4 sources.

+1

dont rely on any single metric

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:34 am

FiveSermon wrote:
kjadkins wrote:

Thanks!

uh and why not? for cornell, arent your numbers like virtually at their 75% for both? lol smells like admit to me

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:35 pm

In case anyone is still wondering how they can expect to fare with regard to LSP's predictions, I have a few more notifications to report (I also included ones still pending).

Deny
1 Pending (Columbia)

Consider
1 Deny (UVA)
2 Wait-lists (Georgetown & GW)
2 Pending (Cornell & Vanderbilt)

Strong Consider
2 Admits (Minnesota & W&M)
2 Pending (WUSTL & Emory)

Admit
5 Admits (W&L, Alabama, Wake Forest, George Mason, & Cincinnati)
3 Pending (Villanova, Temple, & Richmond)

predent/prelaw

Postby predent/prelaw » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:39 pm

If you compare LSN with Predictor it is off with splitters especially with ED at UVA/Northwestern/Georgetown.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:40 pm

predent/prelaw wrote:If you compare LSN with Predictor it is off with splitters especially with ED at UVA/Northwestern/Georgetown.

The URM boost check-box on LSP is also apparently problematic. Which is why it's so surprising that mine have been so spot-on (being a URM and a splitter)

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:59 pm

do you think its safe for a cuban to check the urm box ? Im also a reverse splitter which appears more typical for URM (According to the general TLS consensus). Moreover, checking the URM box gives me more strong considers and clearly a more optimistic outlook on the whole process. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:24 pm

I got in to a consider (52% chance per predictor). I still think it's safe to apply to a bunch of considers and hope to nail one down (especially if you have a decent app package).

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:46 pm

It's really more of a starting point for gauging your chances than a definite thing. If you really love your reach enough to risk spending the money and have the funds, then maybe take that chance just to see. But it is fairly accurate (unless you're URM).

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:47 pm

Im cuban. Will I be giving myself false hope by checking the URM box?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

drummerboy wrote:Im cuban. Will I be giving myself false hope by checking the URM box?

Depends on the school. Ask other Cubans on here because I think they've been seeing boosts at some schools and not at others. Either way though LSP is really shaky for URM predictions.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:39 pm

i know. the whole process is mental masturbation but at least you get some decent suggestions . thanks for your input

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks for sharing!!!
kjadkins wrote:In case anyone is still wondering how they can expect to fare with regard to LSP's predictions, I have a few more notifications to report (I also included ones still pending).

Deny
1 Pending (Columbia)

Consider
1 Deny (UVA)

Strong Consider

Admit

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:05 pm

youre welcome

LSATWIZ

Postby LSATWIZ » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:09 pm

Thanks!

Honestly, it's no more accurate than just looking at the medians and guesstimating. Law school admission, contrary to popular opinion, is not all numbers, particularly in the t-25.

Will a 158 get you into Columbia? No. Will a 175 and 3.95 get you into Columbia? Numbers wise, you'd think so but this too is no guarantee. Things like your resume and personal statement as well as a disciplinary record really do play a major role - they don't make up 10 points on the LSAT, but they can also drop a high LSAT out of the running.

Unless you are a standard applicant who majored in poli-sci and did the x, y and z internships, it is a very subjective process and some schools that you would not think will accept you may, and others that should may not.

LSATWIZ

Postby LSATWIZ » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:10 pm

lawfreak wrote:Thanks for sharing!!!
kjadkins wrote:In case anyone is still wondering how they can expect to fare with regard to LSP's predictions, I have a few more notifications to report (I also included ones still pending).

Deny
1 Pending (Columbia)

Consider
1 Deny (UVA)

Strong Consider
Admit

All due respect, if this cycle is the guide, Minnesota and WUSTL are not happening.

Emory, nobody knows yet.

W&M is very possible.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”