I might be a splitter... Maybe?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
geoduck

I might be a splitter... Maybe?

Postby geoduck » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:11 pm

I've spent a while trying to figure out my chances, but I figured it was time I asked the experts.

I had a low GPA for my first two years of college, just about a 2.6. I can't tell for sure because it was over two schools, three if you count credits I got during high school. For the last 2.5 years, I went to the Evergreen State College, a lovely little liberal college in Washington that's too cool for grades. My LSAC report and my transcripts show the poor performance, including an academic probation in my first year for which I wrote an addendum, but the cumulative/degree GPA is a resounding blank.

I ask about being a splitter because I scored a 169 on the LSAT this December. I know that's not that great around here, but my reach schools are the part-time programs at Georgetown and George Washington University, which have the 75% mark at 168 and 167 respectively. More realistically I'm shooting for the University of Washington, which has a 75% of 166.

For softs, I've been out of school since 2008 and working at a major PBS station all that time, producing a pilot in my spare time. I'm also a competitive fencer. Oh and I'm Mexican.

So what do y'all think I should be expecting?

MrSparkle

Re: I might be a splitter... Maybe?

Postby MrSparkle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:36 pm

I'd say you have a decent shot at the programs you're looking at. But Evergreen College does written evaluations right, not a real GPA? A lot of your admission will depend on what your LSAC GPA, so I fear that will be your 2.6. But your softs seem pretty compelling, and with amazing LORs, you could be in good shape. Have hope!

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:33 am

I was fearing that it would be my GPA too, but the 2.6 is my own calculation. My LSAC report shows no GPA in the summary section, as if I had been at Evergreen the whole time. It is fairly confusing.

Thank you for the encouragement though! The hope is definitely there.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:37 am

geoduck wrote:I was fearing that it would be my GPA too, but the 2.6 is my own calculation. My LSAC report shows no GPA in the summary section, as if I had been at Evergreen the whole time. It is fairly confusing.

Thank you for the encouragement though! The hope is definitely there.

And this is after you have listed and sent in the transcripts for the other schools? If that's the case, consider yourself lucky (but congratulations on a great LSAT!) If you truly do not have an LSDAS gpa to anchor you, I wouldn't say you're a splitter; however, this is definitely a vast minority of the applicant pool (save international students), so I hesitate to say your cycle will be predictable based off your LSAT. Either way, good luck to you, and hopefully you really just don't have an LSDAS gpa!

1evilo.aihpos

Postby 1evilo.aihpos » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:00 am

retake

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”