Scholarship after hold?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Shooter

Scholarship after hold?

Postby Shooter » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Is it possible to be offered a scholarship after your application has been "held" for further review?

Seems to me that if you aren't "admit" material, you probably aren't going to be scholarship material either.

Is this correct?

Knock

Re: Scholarship after hold?

Postby Knock » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:24 pm

Shooter wrote:Is it possible to be offered a scholarship after your application has been "held" for further review?

Seems to me that if you aren't "admit" material, you probably aren't going to be scholarship material either.

Is this correct?

Pretty much. Barring a retake or curing a disease.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Knock wrote:
Shooter wrote:Is it possible to be offered a scholarship after your application has been "held" for further review?

Is this correct?

Any other opinions on this, or is this TCR?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:34 pm

Shooter wrote:
Knock wrote:

Is this correct?

If a school didn't like you or want you enough to admit you outright, why would they fork over (merit) money to get you? Assuming you even get in once you've been held.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Knock wrote:
Shooter wrote:
Knock wrote:

Is this correct?

If a school didn't like you or want you enough to admit you outright, why would they fork over (merit) money to get you? Assuming you even get in once you've been held.

Listen, I completely agree with your position (after all, I mentioned it in my OP). I'm just asking for a second opinion.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:43 pm

Unfortunately, I think Knock is right. All of their scholarship money goes to regular admits. Getting in off of hold is like the school rolling their eyes, holding back a dry heave, and telling you that you can join the party as long as you don't embarrass them.

That said, chances of getting in off a hold are basically 0 anyway.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:51 pm

Lol, nice analogy. Thanks!

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Maybbeee if you were held as a soft YP to see if you were still interested.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:43 am

I would definitely first consider the context of the hold; namely, what does it mean at a certain school? Is it pretty much the waitlist? In which case I think that the above responses are definitely credited. But for example, there were numerous Michigan applicants (myself included) who received an email that sounded like a hold; and, a hold at this school, while I believed referenced by someone (r6philly?) as serving a similar function to HLS and UVA, could still definitely differ from those schools because of their individual admissions philosophies/strategies. But, I can't see ALL of these Michigan applicants (only from having seen their other acceptances on this forum) getting denied, and I would not be surprised in the least bit if several of them got money. That being said, don't EXPECT any money either.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”