ACADEMIC PROBATION ADDENDUM--URGENT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crit_racer

ACADEMIC PROBATION ADDENDUM--URGENT

Postby crit_racer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:13 pm

I just got a chance to look at a transcript from a school I attended for one semester. I did really poorly and, turns out, was placed on academic probation. I just wrote the following brief addendum to submit explaining this. Is it okay? I also wrote a separate grade addendum that gives more detail (but is still pretty brief).

I need to submit this with my app. to UW, which is due tomorrow. Please give feedback. Thanks!

As a result of poor academic performance during the fall 2005 semester, I was placed on academic probation at X school. I was attending this institution as a visiting student from Y school and did not enroll in classes at this school during any other semester. My dismal performance during this semester was a result of personal challenges and is not indicative of my academic potential or my current capacity to deal with adversity. For additional explanation, please see my grade addendum.

crit_racer

Re: ACADEMIC PROBATION ADDENDUM--URGENT

Postby crit_racer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Just give me your first impressions. Is this fine? I feel like it's not a big deal b/c it's not like I got caught cheating or something.

Just respond. I'll make it super easy for you. Just give it a :) if it's okay or a :( if it's not.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:03 pm

crit_racer wrote:For additional explanation, please see my grade addendum.

If you cover it in your grade addendum, why raise the issue twice. Simply note in the grade addendum that early in your college career you had were on probation for one semester.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:17 pm

Do you think that counts? They do ask for explanation for any positive responses to those questions to be on a separate sheet of paper. If you think that the grade addendum counts, then I agree it would be better not to bring it up twice.

Anyone else think it would be okay to just put this all into the grade addendum?

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:22 pm

crit_racer wrote:Do you think that counts? They do ask for explanation for any positive responses to those questions to be on a separate sheet of paper. If you think that the grade addendum counts, then I agree it would be better not to bring it up twice.

Anyone else think it would be okay to just put this all into the grade addendum?

They ask you to address it and you do. As long as you're complete, open and honest, I think you can raise it one time and be fine. You could add a heading of GPA/Academic Probation - then you only cover it once but make very clear the addendum covers both issues.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:40 pm

good call

I'll just title the document "Grades and Academic Probation Addendum" and add a parenthetical next to the description of my poor grades saying (that resulted in academic probation at X institution).

thx

TLSanders

Postby TLSanders » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:02 am

Drop the "dismal"

If you can comply with the instructions provided and combine this with your grade addendum, do it--you don't want to create a stack of different documents dealing with negatives. But following the letter of what they've requested is more important--if the instruction seems to require a separate statement tied specifically to that question, follow the instruction.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”