GPA anddendum for a 3.83? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Beast15

New

GPA anddendum for a 3.83?

Post by Beast15 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:09 pm

Feel sort of silly asking but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Degree GPA=3.99

LSAC GPA=3.83

This is because my first two semesters at a community college were hampered by a legitimate personal issue that wouldn't be too difficult to explain. I switched to a university and got all A's for the remainder of undergrad--well, with one A-.

What's the thought here on the board? Would it be useful to include a brief paragraph to explain the shift? I'm applying to the top 20 or so.

Gold

Re: GPA anddendum for a 3.83?

Post by 094320 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:31 pm

TLSanders

Bronze

Post by TLSanders » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:33 pm

No.

cold_logic

New

Post by cold_logic » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:35 pm

I had a similar situation, and I wrote a really brief addendum (like, 3-4 sentences) just like "Look at this crazy upward trend once I transferred to a better school." Short, to the point, no excuses. I don't see how it could hurt, and you want to make sure they realize just how awesome you are academically. At YHS, 3.83 and 3.99 look really different... Just my two cents.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:18 pm

Sorry, but unless you're applying to HYS, you should not write a GPA addendum because your GPA is so high anyway and it looks ridiculous to write one. Example--my undergrad GPA was a 4.0, but yet my LSAC GPA was a 3.9 because I attended a community college in high school and made a B. There is no need to write an addendum, they see your school GPA for each school on the report anyway (at least mine was displayed).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cmart050

New

Post by Cmart050 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:43 pm

TLSanders wrote:No.

Beast15

New

Post by Beast15 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:55 am

acrossthelake wrote:Um...what was your GPA during the beg.? Unless it was something drastically low, no.
Actual GPA by term for those first two semesters: 3.15, 2.50

Those are drastically low aren't they? From the next semester on, it's all 4.00.

The consensus seems to be "no" but I thought I'd post these details before I make my final decision.

Thanks for the help.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Was the reason legitimate?

If it was something like a medical reason or a death in the family I think you should write it regardless of how high your overall GPA is. A 2.5 is drastically different from your cumulative and if the reason was legitimate and not "I drank too much" you should go for it.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Beast15 wrote:Feel sort of silly asking but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Degree GPA=3.99

LSAC GPA=3.83

This is because my first two semesters at a community college were hampered by a legitimate personal issue that wouldn't be too difficult to explain. I switched to a university and got all A's for the remainder of undergrad--well, with one A-.

What's the thought here on the board? Would it be useful to include a brief paragraph to explain the shift? I'm applying to the top 20 or so.
Seriously? An addendum for a 3.83?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Beast15 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Um...what was your GPA during the beg.? Unless it was something drastically low, no.

Those are drastically low aren't they? From the next semester on, it's all 4.00.

The consensus seems to be "no" but I thought I'd post these details before I make my final decision.

Thanks for the help.
I would certainly write one. Those are very low (especially the 2.5) and seem to be uncharacteristic of your other semesters. I don't know what your issue was, but if it's not "I drank a lot" or something similar I think you should write a very short addendum.

I have a 3.8 with one year of pretty terrible grades (due to a really difficult personal issue) bringing down all As/A+s and I wrote one. While I don't think it will help or get me into any reaches, at the very least it shows adcomms that my lower grades weren't me being lazy or partying.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:51 pm

No. Adcomms have to read a lot of stuff. They don't want to be reading stuff that is pretty unnecessary. Your chances of just irritating someone are probably higher than any good you think an addendum would do you.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:54 pm

Sorry but if I see a transcript of all As and a year of B- and C grades, I'd want to know what was going on then. A few explanatory and non-whiny sentences aren't going to annoy anyone if the reason is legitimate.

TheTallOne0602

New

Post by TheTallOne0602 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:56 pm

eskimo wrote:
Beast15 wrote:

Thanks for the help.
I would certainly write one. Those are very low (especially the 2.5) and seem to be uncharacteristic of your other semesters. I don't know what your issue was, but if it's not "I drank a lot" or something similar I think you should write a very short addendum.

I have a 3.8 with one year of pretty terrible grades (due to a really difficult personal issue) bringing down all As/A+s and I wrote one. While I don't think it will help or get me into any reaches, at the very least it shows adcomms that my lower grades weren't me being lazy or partying.
+1.

Just make it very short and to the point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:58 pm

eskimo wrote:Sorry but if I see a transcript of all As and a year of B- and C grades, I'd want to know what was going on then. A few explanatory and non-whiny sentences aren't going to annoy anyone if the reason is legitimate.
So you'd be surprised to see a freshmen year with lower grades than other years? Wait... what?

An addendum of this nature is completely unnecessary, and if I were an adcomm I'd question the "common sense" of the applicant.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:01 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
eskimo wrote:Sorry but if I see a transcript of all As and a year of B- and C grades, I'd want to know what was going on then. A few explanatory and non-whiny sentences aren't going to annoy anyone if the reason is legitimate.
So you'd be surprised to see a freshmen year with lower grades than other years? Wait... what?

An addendum of this natures is completely unnecessary, and if I were an adcomm I'd question the "common sense" of the applicant.
Yes, I would, but fwiw my year of bad grades wasn't freshman year. So I guess OP should consider that, but I'm still in favor of writing one (assuming that OP's issue is serious, since we don't really know what it was.)

swfangirl

Bronze

Post by swfangirl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:26 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:

An addendum of this nature is completely unnecessary, and if I were an adcomm I'd question the "common sense" of the applicant.
Diff between a 2.50 and a 4.0 is pretty different. I'd want an explanation. I had a similar experience--low grades one semester, but high grades the rest, so high overral GPA, and I wrote the addendum. Doesn't seem to have annoyed anybody yet.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:30 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:Sorry, but unless you're applying to HYS, you should not write a GPA addendum because your GPA is so high anyway and it looks ridiculous to write one. Example--my undergrad GPA was a 4.0, but yet my LSAC GPA was a 3.9 because I attended a community college in high school and made a B. There is no need to write an addendum, they see your school GPA for each school on the report anyway (at least mine was displayed).
I agree with some posters after me....perhaps you should disregard some of what my initial post says and take into account your personal circumstances.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Beast15

New

Post by Beast15 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:18 am

I'm going to go ahead and include a brief explanation.

Thanks everyone.

hjag

New

Post by hjag » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:46 am

Beast15 wrote:

Thanks for the help.
I would write one.

Your cumulative is very impressive, yes, but they might wonder what happened in the beginning. In general, any large deviations in GPA ought to be explained.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”