Too Late to apply to more schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ktaraq

Too Late to apply to more schools?

Postby ktaraq » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:07 pm

I submitted my apps about 2.5 weeks ago and am so far 4 for 4. I'm starting to think I undersold myself. The only reaches I applied to were Georgetown, William and Mary, and Fordham. I have a 163 and 3.6 gpa. I have a great resume, good recommendations and good PS. Do you think its too late to apply to more? I probably should have applied to GW/Cornell/NYU. Hm, is it worth it now?

BlueDiamond

Re: Too Late to apply to more schools?

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:08 pm

URM? WE?

Curry

Postby Curry » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:08 pm

ktaraq wrote:I submitted my apps about 2.5 weeks ago and am so far 4 for 4. I'm starting to think I undersold myself. The only reaches I applied to were Georgetown, William and Mary, and Fordham. I have a 163 and 3.6 gpa. I have a great resume, good recommendations and good PS. Do you think its too late to apply to more? I probably should have applied to GW/Cornell/NYU. Hm, is it worth it now?

Honestly, you have virtually no shot at GW, Cornell, and absolutely no shot at NYU (barring urm status). Don't waste your money.

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:13 pm

Not a URM, but ethnic minority. 2 years unique work experience in politics, lots of volunteer work (measurable achievements). As a result, I think my recommenders have been more than gracious with their words and my personal statement really brings these acheivements out. I can't help but to wonder if i undersold myself and shoudl still try!

Curry

Postby Curry » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:34 pm

ktaraq wrote:Not a URM, but ethnic minority. 2 years unique work experience in politics, lots of volunteer work (measurable achievements). As a result, I think my recommenders have been more than gracious with their words and my personal statement really brings these acheivements out. I can't help but to wonder if i undersold myself and shoudl still try!

Honestly, don't waste your money. Its really not worth donating 70 bucks to GULC

TLSanders

Postby TLSanders » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm always interested when people start talking about "wasting money" on applications. Sure, there's a practical component and that may impose limitations for some people, but assuming that it's feasible, what's the real downside? You're about to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars and three years of hard work in something you hope to build your career on--isn't it a little silly to get conservative at the point where a few hundred bucks and a couple of hours of your time could give you a shot at something better?

Curry

Postby Curry » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:52 pm

TLSanders wrote:I'm always interested when people start talking about "wasting money" on applications. Sure, there's a practical component and that may impose limitations for some people, but assuming that it's feasible, what's the real downside? You're about to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars and three years of hard work in something you hope to build your career on--isn't it a little silly to get conservative at the point where a few hundred bucks and a couple of hours of your time could give you a shot at something better?

The difference here is that they won't give OP a shot. If OP is hellbent on wasting 300 dollars, i'd much rather he wire it to my account.
Last edited by Curry on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:53 pm

ktaraq wrote:I submitted my apps about 2.5 weeks ago and am so far 4 for 4. I'm starting to think I undersold myself. The only reaches I applied to were Georgetown, William and Mary, and Fordham. I have a 163 and 3.6 gpa. I have a great resume, good recommendations and good PS. Do you think its too late to apply to more? I probably should have applied to GW/Cornell/NYU. Hm, is it worth it now?

With your numbers.. and non-urm.. you are auto-reject at GTown, Fordham, GW, Cornell, and NYU. Contrary to TLSanders, it is a complete waste of money, waste being defined here as money spent for absolutely no chance at gain, unless you consider a copy-paste rejection letter as a gain. Not really attempting to be mean here, just telling the truth.

nodummy

Postby nodummy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:30 pm

champ33 wrote:

With your numbers.. and non-urm.. you are auto-reject at GTown, Fordham, GW, Cornell, and NYU. Contrary to TLSanders, it is a complete waste of money, waste being defined here as money spent for absolutely no chance at gain, unless you consider a copy-paste rejection letter as a gain. Not really attempting to be mean here, just telling the truth.

Wasn't OP already accepted by GTown and Fordham? OP said 4 for 4 and the only reaches were those plus W&M...

If so, that auto-reject button must be malfunctioning, or could it be just another overly-pessimistic jerk on TLS?

TLSanders

Postby TLSanders » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:41 pm

nodummy wrote:Wasn't OP already accepted by GTown and Fordham? OP said 4 for 4 and the only reaches were those plus W&M...

If so, that auto-reject button must be malfunctioning, or could it be just another overly-pessimistic jerk on TLS?

I wouldn't have used the word "jerk", but for virtually every situation in which I hear someone in this forum parrot a phrase like "auto-reject", I can think of a specific exception to that "rule" I've seen personally.

There are very few bright lines, and it's telling that it's mostly the people who haven't even made it to law school yet who are so very sure that they've cracked the code.

Curry

Postby Curry » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:44 pm

nodummy wrote:
champ33 wrote:

Wasn't OP already accepted by GTown and Fordham? OP said 4 for 4 and the only reaches were those plus W&M...

Sigh I wish you could read. The only reaches he applied to were Georgetown, Willam and Mary, and Fordham. Those were not the only schools he applied to. He could have applied to 4 TTT's in which he got in and that gave him the confidence to think about applying to better schools.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”