Read if you want; T6Hopeful decides law school's not for him

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
T6Hopeful

Re: Read if you want; T6Hopeful decides law school's not for him

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:10 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:
chihuahua12 wrote:I may have missed it somewhere in this thread, but is there a reason you aren't shooting for T20-T30 with $$?

Realized that I don't even really want to be a lawyer, nor do I feel like I would even be "lawyering" in this economy if I wanted to, anyway. $$ just helped put the situation under a magnifying glass. I realized it was a "dream job" when I was younger because of prestige and job security. I'm sure you're all aware that even after you pass all the hurdles that the latter has flown out the window, and I don't care about prestige enough to go into the field. Thanks for helping me hash through (albeit solidify) my decision, though!

emmbar -
1. Thanks, like I said it wasn't easy to walk away from, but in retrospect it was super easy.

2. YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH MISTER/MADAM. That's my childhood hero!

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:13 am

This is more of a "I discovered I don't really want to be a lawyer as a career" story, but tries to convey that through a "I'm not going because of debt/repayment" tone.

OP could have easily gone somewhere for free, or at least nearly free, but they decided they just don't want to be a lawyer. If they did their financial due diligence, I'm sure they'd find it pretty easy to limit repayment/debt.

emmbar53

Postby emmbar53 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:28 am

T6Hopeful wrote:2. YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH MISTER/MADAM. That's my childhood hero!

Sounds good. Besides, I grew up as a Reggie Miller fan. He's even more overrated in Indiana than Ewing is in NYC. (I have friends in Indiana who are fairly convinced that, in the 90's, Jordan was the only player better than Reggie AND that it was close between those two.).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:36 am

I read this post a bit differently than others. Seems as if waiting for a substantial merit award from a very highly ranked law school combined with some fear of the unknown has raised fear & doubt. Very few posters on this forum have experience as a practicing attorney; in fact, very few have experience as a second year law student. By looking at the big picture--and it may be an inaccurate depiction--you have overwhelmed yourself. Maybe you've convinced yourself that there is no future in attending a non-top 20 law school or pursuing a career outside of biglaw. If you attend law school on a full tuition scholarship, there is no need to secure a job in biglaw to repay massive student loan debt.
Because you are not withdrawing all of your law school applications & are withdrawing only your acceptances which offered no substantial scholarship money, I see your post as a cry for help or guidance. This website is composed mainly of young adults without the necessary experience to paint an accurate picture for you. I don't know how you came to the realization that you don't want to be a lawyer without actual experience in the field. Seems that you don't want to take on significant debt without really knowing what to expect. And that is reasonable. But it is also reasonable to apply a bit lower and--with your numbers--obtain a full tuition scholarship to a regional law school. UCLA may be your best option.
Whether it is fear of the unknown or growing pains, you have invested a great deal of time & energy in pursuit of law school only to run away to nothing (a hopeful Fullbright) when the reality & magnitude of your decision are near. You are taking on too much. Get a full tuition scholarship to a solid or outstanding regional law school & view it as a one year committment after which you will reassess your options & future career plans based on more accurate knowledge & experience.
P.S. SMU may be an option since it is very well respected in Texas & offers scholarships which go beyond tuition & fees.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

dabears1

Postby dabears1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:46 am

[quote="T6Hopeful"][/quote]

I would use this as your personal statement, and flat out ask for scholarship money, otherwise LS just wouldn't work for you. I think this honest/fresh/ironic approach is novel enough that it might work. Who knows!
Last edited by dabears1 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:59 am

Good luck with your Fulbright T6hopeful.

I'd like to point out to all of the waitlist downtrodden that T6hopeful will not be the only one out there who gets accepted to lots of good schools but decides, for one reason or another, not to attend any of them. If you are still sure LS is the right move for you, dont' let last years WL stats get you too down.

PS dabears1 - when someone asks not to be quoted and you quote the whole post that's kind of dick

Diiizzzzoooo

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:59 am

BrownBears09 wrote:This is more of a "I discovered I don't really want to be a lawyer as a career" story, but tries to convey that through a "I'm not going because of debt/repayment" tone.

OP could have easily gone somewhere for free, or at least nearly free, but they decided they just don't want to be a lawyer. If they did their financial due diligence, I'm sure they'd find it pretty easy to limit repayment/debt.

This.

The way you wrote your post is somewhat muddled and confusing. I know now that you are not going because you simply do not want to do this, but I was ready to pounce on you because it just seems as if you were hinging your decision on the financial uncertainty of the next few years.

Diiizzzzoooo

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:01 am

CanadianWolf wrote:I read this post a bit differently than others. Seems as if waiting for a substantial merit award from a very highly ranked law school combined with a some fear of the unknown has raised fear & doubt. Very few posters on this forum have experience as a practicing attorney; in fact, very few have experience as a second year law student. By looking at the big picture--and it may be an inaccurate depiction--you have overwhelmed yourself. Maybe you've convinced yourself that there is no future in attending a non-top 20 law school or pursuing a career outside of biglaw. If you attend law school on a full tuition scholarship, there is no need to secure a job in biglaw to repay massive student loan debt.
Because you are not withdrawing all of your law school applications & are withdrawing only your acceptances which offered no substantial scholarship money, I see your post as a cry for help or guidance. This website is composed mainly of young adults without the necessary experience to paint an accurate picture for you. I don't know how you came to the realization that you don't want to be a lawyer without actual experience in the field. Seems that you don't want to take on significant debt without really knowing what to expect. And that is reasonable. But it is also reasonable to apply a bit lower and--with your numbers--obtain a full tuition scholarship to a regional law school. UCLA may be your best option.
Whether it is fear of the unknown or growing pains, you have invested a great deal of time & energy in pursuit of law school only to run away to nothing (a hopeful Fullbright) when the reality & magnitude of your decision are near. You are taking on too much. Get a full tuition scholarship to a solid or outstanding regional law school & view it as a one year committment after which you will reassess your options & future career plans based on more accurate knowledge & experience.

I would read this post a few times very closely if I was OP.

jm19

Postby jm19 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:10 am

CanadianWolf wrote:I read this post a bit differently than others. Seems as if waiting for a substantial merit award from a very highly ranked law school combined with a some fear of the unknown has raised fear & doubt. Very few posters on this forum have experience as a practicing attorney; in fact, very few have experience as a second year law student. By looking at the big picture--and it may be an inaccurate depiction--you have overwhelmed yourself. Maybe you've convinced yourself that there is no future in attending a non-top 20 law school or pursuing a career outside of biglaw. If you attend law school on a full tuition scholarship, there is no need to secure a job in biglaw to repay massive student loan debt.

I read OP's post the same way, perhaps because I'm in a similar situation and have come to a slightly different conclusion. (Namely, take more time off and then bring on state school with $$$!)

OP, maybe take a year (or more) off. Work for a while, and take stock of what you enjoy doing at work. The job I'm doing now requires a college degree and no thought. I hate it every day. The most enjoyable part of my job is writing my monthly reports. Determining what you like doing, as simple as it sounds, might go a long way toward directing you to an answer.

I've been doing my research and talking to practicing attorneys, and I'm beginning to think that there is a type of law I would enjoy practicing, probably in the public or non-profit sectors. I just have to find it. Maybe you should reconsider whether law isn't for you or whether it's just BigLaw/private practice that isn't for you.

leevin

Postby leevin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:15 am

Too many inconsistencies (logical fallacy; human nature of the writer and wording/requests; post history) in this statement. Good try above poster.

Please see a psychiatrist at your earliest convenience. You definitely need one. Public TLS is NOT your online journal.

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:18 am

ITT: Half of TLS misses the point. :?

dabears1

Postby dabears1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:23 am

NZA wrote:ITT: Half of TLS misses the point. :?

NZA wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
NZA wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:YES
"I blue myself."

There's gotta be a better way to say that.

Not when you're the world's first analrapist... one part analyst, one part therapist.

Oh, Tobias...you blowhard!

Flame?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:24 am

Retake :roll:

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:26 am

dabears1 wrote:Flame?

--ImageRemoved--

Check yoself fo you wreck yoself.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:29 am

bdubs wrote:Good luck with your Fulbright T6hopeful.

I'd like to point out to all of the waitlist downtrodden that T6hopeful will not be the only one out there who gets accepted to lots of good schools but decides, for one reason or another, not to attend any of them. If you are still sure LS is the right move for you, dont' let last years WL stats get you too down.

PS dabears1 - when someone asks not to be quoted and you quote the whole post that's kind of dick

Ditto @ dabears1, the first thing one reads in your post is a bolded "DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST," which you've quoted. You should consider deleting the quotation per his or her wishes. Some people will make excellent attorneys, as they are both perceptive and discreet.

Sounds to me like T6 is making the right move, based on what they're saying. I don't know how anyone decides to plunge into this type of work straight out of school. If they decide to come back to it after a couple years in the business world, they'll only be that much stronger a candidate. Best of luck.

Edit: Now it's leevin who apparently just made an account to be obnoxious.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:34 am

NZA wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Greatest sitcom ever. Name one better and I'll go to bat for AD.

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:36 am

ahduth wrote:
NZA wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Name one better? Sir, in good conscience, I cannot.

This is completely off-topic, but I think T6 would've enjoyed it, so I guess it's okay.

dabears1

Postby dabears1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:38 am

NZA wrote:
ahduth wrote:
NZA wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Name one better? Sir, in good conscience, I cannot.

This is completely off-topic, but I think T6 would've enjoyed it, so I guess it's okay.

I enjoy how I met your mother.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:42 am

BrownBears09 wrote:This is more of a "I discovered I don't really want to be a lawyer as a career" story, but tries to convey that through a "I'm not going because of debt/repayment" tone.

+1

emmbar53

Postby emmbar53 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:06 pm

ahduth wrote:
NZA wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

According to Jim.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:56 pm

First of all: I absolutely welcome any (or almost any, see later in this post) criticism, constructive or not. And it's true that I could easily have gone somewhere for "free," I don't doubt that. I probably wouldn't have had to look past WUSTL or even one of the schools ranked 22 for that matter, and most certainly could have secured a full ride to my state school. However, combine that with the facts that there's STILL cost of living to account for (and especially with scholarships that have stipulations), that median+ is not guaranteed and that job prospects, etc. are not guaranteed at ANY level except maybe YHS (and even there it's definitely not a given), I'm still looking at an incredible amount of uncertainty in a field I'll have no idea whether I end up enjoying. I appreciate you highlighting this argument, but feel at the same time that trading substantial debt for better job prospects (read: graduating with no debt and not being forced into biglaw does not mean I'll get a job any better than pushing papers around for $15-20/hr) is no better.

CanadianWolf wrote:I read this post a bit differently than others. Seems as if waiting for a substantial merit award from a very highly ranked law school combined with some fear of the unknown has raised fear & doubt. Very few posters on this forum have experience as a practicing attorney; in fact, very few have experience as a second year law student. By looking at the big picture--and it may be an inaccurate depiction--you have overwhelmed yourself. Maybe you've convinced yourself that there is no future in attending a non-top 20 law school or pursuing a career outside of biglaw. If you attend law school on a full tuition scholarship, there is no need to secure a job in biglaw to repay massive student loan debt.
P.S. SMU may be an option since it is very well respected in Texas & offers scholarships which go beyond tuition & fees.

Thanks for your input as well, I honestly do appreciate it. However, I would like to emphasize that my post is NOT a cry for help or guidance, and that I'm not holding back on withdrawals to see what scholarship money I get. I'm doing so mainly to make absolutely sure (which I'm almost 100% sure already) that my decision is the right one for me, and will withdraw relatively soon. I don't in any way plan on changing my mind for even a substantial scholarship at a lower T14, especially because like I said, there are still numerous daunting gambles to take. I will not even wait so long as to hear back scholarship offers from the schools I have been accepted to.I do also know several lawyers who have consistently told me that if they could go back and do things over, they would not go to law school in the first place. I do also understand (believe me, I know) that walking away will "waste" the great deal of time and energy, but I'm absolutely prepared to cut my losses, and that considering all factors, my energy is best spent focusing on searching for jobs, instead of continuing to wait for applications.
Thank you again for pointing out several alternatives, but for the reasons mentioned above (and to specifically counter your post, a lack of desire to work in either Cali or Texas) I am also unwilling to pursue those routes.
Diiizzzzoooo wrote:

This.

The way you wrote your post is somewhat muddled and confusing. I know now that you are not going because you simply do not want to do this, but I was ready to pounce on you because it just seems as if you were hinging your decision on the financial uncertainty of the next few years.

Thank you for your honesty as well. I am definitely not hinging my decision solely on financial uncertainty, although this in itself is not to be taken lightly.
jm19 wrote:I read OP's post the same way, perhaps because I'm in a similar situation and have come to a slightly different conclusion. (Namely, take more time off and then bring on state school with $$$!)

OP, maybe take a year (or more) off. Work for a while, and take stock of what you enjoy doing at work. The job I'm doing now requires a college degree and no thought. I hate it every day. The most enjoyable part of my job is writing my monthly reports. Determining what you like doing, as simple as it sounds, might go a long way toward directing you to an answer.

I've been doing my research and talking to practicing attorneys, and I'm beginning to think that there is a type of law I would enjoy practicing, probably in the public or non-profit sectors. I just have to find it. Maybe you should reconsider whether law isn't for you or whether it's just BigLaw/private practice that isn't for you.

Thanks. I won't rule out the option that I may return to this path eventually, but I'm relatively certain that it's not for me. I'll keep that in mind.
leevin wrote:Too many inconsistencies (logical fallacy; human nature of the writer and wording/requests; post history) in this statement. Good try above poster.

Please see a psychiatrist at your earliest convenience. You definitely need one. Public TLS is NOT your online journal.

This is the only response in which I will retort in a negative manner. Thanks for the attack on my logic and writing; call this flawed reasoning, but you must've scored VERY high (read: sarcasm) with that train of thought. Retake, dude.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes on the Fulbright. And to elaborate, I did post this not only as a measure to come to terms with a written version of my decision, but to help future applicants understand that law school is NOT always the right personal decision, regardless of how far into the T14 you can get. I'm sure all of you have grappled with this at one point or another, but hopefully this will help others that they need to take off their blindfolds before moving forward with their lives, and before it's too late.

krad

Postby krad » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Ditto all the well wishes and good luck on the Fulbright!!

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:03 pm

ahduth wrote:
NZA wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:15 pm

leevin wrote:Too many inconsistencies (logical fallacy; human nature of the writer and wording/requests; post history) in this statement. Good try above poster.

Banned for unauthorized alting. We especially frown upon alts made to attack or criticize other users.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:30 pm

To each their own. I commend your objective attitude, I am in a similar financial situation, where I will be footing the bill entirely. I understand the roller coaster ride. Don't let anyone tell you your decidions aren't right, you have to live with them. Perhaps as others have suggested, a full ride to the state school in a year or two could be a possibility. Good luck in your future decisions!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”