Are GULC and Cornell >>> Michigan for the East Coast? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Zeile

Bronze

Are GULC and Cornell >>> Michigan for the East Coast?

Post by Zeile » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:10 am

Thoughts?

Teoeo

Silver

Re: Are GULC and Cornell >>> Michigan for the East Coast?

Post by Teoeo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:11 am

No way

Zeile

Bronze

Post by Zeile » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:15 am

Really? How much greater are MVP (and maybe even D and N) than G and C?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:16 am

I would think they both have better lay prestige, GULC clearly > Mich for DC and Cornell might be > Mich for NYC so........yes?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:17 am

I predict this thread will not end well. This debate and debates similar to it that involve these schools always rile people up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chaosnoodlesoup

New

Post by chaosnoodlesoup » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:19 am

IBQO?

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:22 am

kwais wrote:I would think they both have better lay prestige, GULC clearly > Mich for DC and Cornell might be > Mich for NYC so........yes?
Yeah, because legal hiring is based on lay prestige... :?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:27 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
kwais wrote:I would think they both have better lay prestige, GULC clearly > Mich for DC and Cornell might be > Mich for NYC so........yes?
firms are aware of how clients perceive the credentials of their associates, so it's not entirely inconsequential. We are talking about 3 very respected schools, so differences like this are part of the conversation.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:35 am

kwais wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
firms are aware of how clients perceive the credentials of their associates, so it's not entirely inconsequential. We are talking about 3 very respected schools, so differences like this are part of the conversation.
Perhaps part, but certainly not a large part, and definitely not a large enough part to say that GULC and Cornell are stronger for the East Coast. They are definitely more similar on the East Coast than other regions, and perhaps so close the difference is minuscule.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:36 am

kwais wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
It is as close to inconsequential as it gets. Your first post is just flat out ridiculous.

dcpolitico

Bronze

Post by dcpolitico » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:09 am

GULC is a degree mill.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:21 am

dcpolitico wrote:GULC is a degree mill.
Cool story brah.

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:17 pm

Why not add Berkeley and Northwestern to the mix as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:54 pm

jeez if there's one thing i learned form TLS it's that going to GULC is suicide (I mean WHAT a blemish!) even though for you the decision to choose GULC over Michigan makes sense, especially if you want DC. so i guess my post is meant to leave you befuddled. get off TLS and do your own research on the two schools, then make a decision.

Heat

Bronze

Post by Heat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:04 pm

I'm from NY and I'll say that anyone who knows anything about law schools or is actually in the legal field would respond with "wow that's a great school" not "shoulda gone to Cornell". That being said Cornell easily has the most lay prestige in NY as its located here.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:16 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Cool story brah.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:17 pm

kwais wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
You're absolutely right. EDing to Penn was an awful idea. My attitude should have been Notre Dame or bust.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:00 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
kwais wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
You're absolutely right. EDing to Penn was an awful idea. My attitude should have been Notre Dame or bust.
No, you did the right thing. Joe Paterno has his team playing better than the Irish in recent years, so I'm sure clients will prefer they're cases being handled by Penn grads.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:29 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Cool story brah.
GULC is a degree mill? Never heard that one before.

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:57 pm

In DC, GULC and Michigan are about equal on prestige, with GULC maybe being ahead a little (depending on who you're asking). The main advantage GULC probably has is the area alumni network--a lot of GULC graduates seem to stay in the area to practice, so chances are the person who's reading your resume in DC knows someone who knows someone who went to GULC. GULC gets bashed a lot on TLS, but it's thought of fairly well in the DC area.

With that having been said--the other stuff on the resume matters a LOT more. Choose the one you're more comfortable with, and that feels better to you, and then get an awesome GPA and Michigan vs. GULC won't make a difference.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:33 am

Wherever you want to work, Michigan is a MUCH better option than either GULC or Cornell for a host of reasons. In the highly competitive East Coast markets, the geographic location of the school, with respect to the T14, appears to be much less significant than in other places. Reputation, however, is huge.

Cornell and GULC grads are struggling right now.

That said, GULC might have a slight advantage in DC, but DC is a weak legal market right now; who would take the risk?

At least you'd have many options coming from Michigan. Michigan has an outsized reputation in the legal profession that is not totally reflected by the U.S. News rankings.

Also, the quality of the students is arguably much higher at Michigan than the students at Cornell (from an academic perspective) or GULC (from a softs perspective).

If you were an employer, who would you hire?

When asked this question, employers chose Michigan overwhelmingly. http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/edu ... aw-ranking

Disclosure: I am not a Michigan student.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:42 am

niederbomb wrote: When asked this question, employers chose Michigan overwhelmingly. http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/edu ... aw-ranking
And they choose BoalTTT and NorthwesTTTern over Yale. Not to mention IUB over GULC, Cornell, UCLA, UT and USC (which isn't even ranked on that list).
Rank 10 Yale Law School
*This post should not be construed as support for choosing GULC/Cornell over Michigan.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:51 am

ith 58% of law school graduates entering private practice, Vault's law school rankings fill an important gap with their unique emphasis on employability.
Vault surveys PRIVATE EMPLPOYERS.

Yale, and Stanford, send a huge percentage of grads into PI, International law, and government. Thus, this list does not really apply with respect to those schools (and probably Chicago and Harvard, too, to a lesser extent).

But this list IS useful when comparing schools like GULC, Michigan, and Cornell, which DO send most of their grads into private practice in similar markets.

Also, regional bias affects the Vault rankings. That said, it is still useful when comparing T14 schools with rather similar profiles that send the majority of their students to similar jobs in similar markets. Vault provides important information that U.S. News omits.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:57 am

niederbomb wrote: But this list IS useful when comparing schools like GULC, Michigan, and Cornell, which DO send most of their grads into private practice in similar markets.
So you really think IUB grads have better employment prospects than GULC/Cornell?

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:13 am

ArchRoark wrote:
niederbomb wrote: But this list IS useful when comparing schools like GULC, Michigan, and Cornell, which DO send most of their grads into private practice in similar markets.
So you really think IUB grads have better employment prospects than GULC/Cornell?
I don't know anything about IUB, but I'd guess not.

Is your argument that this list is unrepresentative or that asking for employer opinions is fundamentally flawed in some way? I've used Vault to research a lot of other things, and I think they're a well-respected source.

I still think the Vault rankings are useful for comparing similar schools that place into similar markets (i.e. GULC, Michigan, and Cornell).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”