Who still hasn't applied?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
2011Law

Who still hasn't applied?

Postby 2011Law » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm trying to make a decent PS, at least something that won't hurt me. This project is not going well, but I am forcing myself to send whatever I have by Tuesday. I can write a great research paper, got A's or A-'s on every paper I wrote in uni, but suck at stuff like this. Anyone else having similar problems?

delusional

Re: Who still hasn't applied?

Postby delusional » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:45 pm

2011Law wrote:I'm trying to make a decent PS, at least something that won't hurt me. This project is not going well, but I am forcing myself to send whatever I have by Tuesday. I can write a great research paper, got A's or A-'s on every paper I wrote in uni, but suck at stuff like this. Anyone else having similar problems?

No, but I haven't applied yet either, because my LORs are taking their sweet time.

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:50 pm

I had that problem, but at one point or another you have to get them out, so I sent my app's out in batches and constantly revised my PS every so often

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:32 am

2011Law wrote:I'm trying to make a decent PS, at least something that won't hurt me. This project is not going well, but I am forcing myself to send whatever I have by Tuesday. I can write a great research paper, got A's or A-'s on every paper I wrote in uni, but suck at stuff like this. Anyone else having similar problems?

Finish your PS ASAP. I took a month grappling with my PS, I thought I needed to make it an amazing piece of literary genius that would make my reviewer say WOW. Then I realized I hadnt cured cancer, been homeless, won a Medal of Honor, or started a foundation to provide Africa with laptops.

Write something that is you. Dont worry about what an adcomm will think. Unless you have amazing softs you are probably just like most other applicants and your numbers will be whats getting you in, not your PS. But do it quickly because by the time you apply you wont be going complete until Feb at most schools, and that is certifiably LATE.

usonesinbetween

Postby usonesinbetween » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:23 pm

2011Law, I feel your pain! Commiserates.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:50 pm

I understand, I've been dragging my feet on a few applications that have additional essays.
The best thing to do is just get it over with and use an okay PS rather than wait to write something really great.

mala2

Postby mala2 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:01 pm

me too

Trying to write a PS that isn't lame

supermannn

Postby supermannn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:05 pm

:lol: looks like a common theme here -- Also rewriting my PS. I figure I will send an OK one to some safety schools then revise for like 1-2 days and send it to targets/reaches/etc. It really is a pain b/c it seems that the editing/refining is an endless process

TLSanders

Postby TLSanders » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Yes, other people are having similar problems. I know this because I've seen a rush of personal statement review business since Christmas, and a lot of clients are opening with "I need to get my applications out this week!"

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”