Race/Ethnicity on Applications

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wvbob3
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:34 am

Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby wvbob3 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi, everyone. I have a quick question. I put down on my LSAC account that I am white and when I took the LSAT I put down I was Caucasian and American Indian (I am 1/16th Cherokee and assumed they used it for demographics purposes). When I sent out my applications, I only put down the AI portion on one (Penn) because they were the only one that asked for a specific tribe. Should I have any concern with admissions or come bar entrance time? I don't think so, but I just want to be sure. Thanks!

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby Pricer » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:13 pm

It is my understanding that to claim yourself as native American, you must be registered with a tribe. I did some searching on google, and someone claimed he was able to declare URM status at 1/64 Cherokee because he was registered. He also said he could not declare his 1/8 Navajo status because he was not registered in that tribe.

pwyoung
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby pwyoung » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Pricer wrote:It is my understanding that to claim yourself as native American, you must be registered with a tribe. I did some searching on google, and someone claimed he was able to declare URM status at 1/64 Cherokee because he was registered. He also said he could not declare his 1/8 Navajo status because he was not registered in that tribe.


Holy shit, 1/64 can be registered?

emmbar53
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby emmbar53 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:20 pm

pwyoung wrote:
Pricer wrote:It is my understanding that to claim yourself as native American, you must be registered with a tribe. I did some searching on google, and someone claimed he was able to declare URM status at 1/64 Cherokee because he was registered. He also said he could not declare his 1/8 Navajo status because he was not registered in that tribe.


Holy shit, 1/64 can be registered?


+1

I would say there is about a 1 in 1,000 chance that what of my ancestors was Native American. Does that count?

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:58 pm

you can register if you have "one drop of native american blood". However, you need documentation to prove it, which is extremely difficult after the trail of tears, where alot of Native Americans wanted to hide their identities from them damn caucasians. I am Cherokee, however I cannot provide documentation, so I cannot put it on my apps. Bro, if you aren't registered with a tribe you might have some serious problems come character and fitness. I would try and get registered before law school is over.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby gothamm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:16 am

SupraVln180 wrote:you can register if you have "one drop of native american blood". However, you need documentation to prove it, which is extremely difficult after the trail of tears, where alot of Native Americans wanted to hide their identities from them damn caucasians. I am Cherokee, however I cannot provide documentation, so I cannot put it on my apps. Bro, if you aren't registered with a tribe you might have some serious problems come character and fitness. I would try and get registered before law school is over.


trust me, the reading comp passages on the LSAT have made us all experts on Native Americans and the trouble they have proving things due to lack of documentation.

User avatar
SherlockHolmes
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby SherlockHolmes » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:27 am

I had similar question awhile back. I'm 1/4 Cherokee, but not registered (I can trace my heritage through birth certificates so I do have some formal documentation). From my understanding, if you have always identified as being part Native American you can still check the box. If that's your heritage it's your heritage. What you can't do if you're not registered, however, is claim any tribal affiliation (unless the tribe isn't federally recognized).

To be honest, If on LSAC you claim just white, on the LSAT you claim both, and on the Penn app you just claim AI, it's going to raise some questions.

wvbob3
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:34 am

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby wvbob3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:00 am

Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear. I put both AI and white on the app. to Penn.

ptblazer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby ptblazer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:13 am

SupraVln180 wrote:you can register if you have "one drop of native american blood". However, you need documentation to prove it, which is extremely difficult after the trail of tears, where alot of Native Americans wanted to hide their identities from them damn caucasians. I am Cherokee, however I cannot provide documentation, so I cannot put it on my apps. Bro, if you aren't registered with a tribe you might have some serious problems come character and fitness. I would try and get registered before law school is over.


I can't speak for all tribes, because all Native American tribes have their own rules when it comes to this and maybe Cherokee is differen't, but having "one drop of native american blood" DOES NOT mean that you can be a registered member of a tribe. In my experiences typically 1/16th is the cut line and even as high as 1/8th is normal. Obviously documentation is required to prove you have ancestory in the tribe, which often is just a matter of your grandparents/parents being registered.

wvbob3
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:34 am

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby wvbob3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:24 am

Going back to the question of character and fitness during the bar admission process, I didn't act in an intentionally deceitful manner. How would it cause trouble for me? I have no intention of trying to receive scholarships from AI funds and the only reason I put it down on the LSAT was because I was under the understanding it was for demographics purposes.

ptblazer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby ptblazer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:32 am

wvbob3 wrote:Going back to the question of character and fitness during the bar admission process, I didn't act in an intentionally deceitful manner. How would it cause trouble for me? I have no intention of trying to receive scholarships from AI funds and the only reason I put it down on the LSAT was because I was under the understanding it was for demographics purposes.


I think the only way you get in trouble here is if you use it, but you don't identify yourself as American Indian. If you see yourself as AI then you are in the clear. If you aren't a member of a tribe, then it is best to not identify one.

Being American Indian doesn't necessarly mean you belong to a tribe.

wvbob3
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:34 am

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby wvbob3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:37 am

Ok. I feel much better now. On Penn, I did have the option of selecting a tribe and I did pick Cherokee, simply because that is what I knew my family to be. If I am accepted, I will give them a call to make it clear that although not register, I do identify myself as partially AI. Do you think that would satisfy any ethical concerns?

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby Pricer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:28 am

wvbob3 wrote:Ok. I feel much better now. On Penn, I did have the option of selecting a tribe and I did pick Cherokee, simply because that is what I knew my family to be. If I am accepted, I will give them a call to make it clear that although not register, I do identify myself as partially AI. Do you think that would satisfy any ethical concerns?


You may want to call before your decision is made. If you get in over other candidates with similar numbers because the school considered you URM, then you do not satisfy their requirements for URM status, it could cause a few problems.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:30 am

It's your integrity at risk, so I guess it's your decision.

please please let this be a flame

also, the amount of times you ask this question proves that you think it is dishonest. If you think that if you're found out people will think you're being dishonest then you KNOW that you are.

equalityLaw10
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:06 am

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby equalityLaw10 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:00 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:It's your integrity at risk, so I guess it's your decision.

please please let this be a flame

also, the amount of times you ask this question proves that you think it is dishonest. If you think that if you're found out people will think you're being dishonest then you KNOW that you are.



Agreed.

I also think that there is a lot of mis-information in this post. Tribal enrollment criteria is determined by each individual tribe -- not every tribe (recognized or not) has a blood-quantum cutoff for enrollment purposes. Some only consider direct lineage, and others rely on particular rolls which are not publicly available. If you are claiming to be one of them and you have no idea what the criteria is for your own tribe, then your law school admissions package is probably not the place to discuss your rich Native heritage.

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:34 am

gothamm wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:you can register if you have "one drop of native american blood". However, you need documentation to prove it, which is extremely difficult after the trail of tears, where alot of Native Americans wanted to hide their identities from them damn caucasians. I am Cherokee, however I cannot provide documentation, so I cannot put it on my apps. Bro, if you aren't registered with a tribe you might have some serious problems come character and fitness. I would try and get registered before law school is over.


trust me, the reading comp passages on the LSAT have made us all experts on Native Americans and the trouble they have proving things due to lack of documentation.

:lol:

wvbob3
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:34 am

Re: Race/Ethnicity on Applications

Postby wvbob3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:04 pm

Good news. I gave them a call and they said just to send in an email explaining how I am not enrolled and do not have a blood certificate, but do self-identify as AI, and send that in an email. They said they actually appreciate the honesty when people do that.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], guybourdin, Snowjon and 7 guests