HYS Intimidation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AreJay711

Re: HYS Intimidation

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:22 pm

tkgrrett wrote:How about this:

None of us are that smart (meaning future HYS/t-14 students) we are masters of sociology, political science and history. Our research is mostly simplistic and very rarely complex. Our field is of the sort that pretty much anyone could do. Our standardized test is the most useless and meaningless thing ever created. A good portion of us would struggle in a community college Calculus I class. Most of our college classes were things that we found interesting rather than useful.

None of us are special. Law isnt super hard. Just join the party and dont be scared.

Don't you need calculus for sociology?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:30 pm

AreJay711 wrote:

None of us are that smart (meaning future HYS/t-14 students) we are masters of sociology, political science and history. Our research is mostly simplistic and very rarely complex. Our field is of the sort that pretty much anyone could do. Our standardized test is the most useless and meaningless thing ever created. A good portion of us would struggle in a community college Calculus I class. Most of our college classes were things that we found interesting rather than useful.

None of us are special. Law isnt super hard. Just join the party and dont be scared.

Not at most schools where it is a B.A. You just need some version of basic statistics.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:32 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

Not at most schools where it is a B.A. You just need some version of basic statistics.

Oh ok. After I posted I realized that that wasn't the point at all so just ignore it.

Kaitlyn

Postby Kaitlyn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:37 pm

*Shudders at the mere mention of Calculus I*

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:41 pm

Kaitlyn wrote:*Shudders at the mere mention of Sociology*

karatenutz

Postby karatenutz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:42 pm

delusional wrote:Say someone has a good GPA at an average school, and does well enough on the LSAT to be a strong consider at HYS. Said person feels that they have an educational disadvantage compared to all the trust-fund Ivy undergrads who were previously acclaimed ballerinas or Navy colonels, or King George IV's speech therapist. Is that a reason to attend CCN over one of the top 3?

In short, is it logical to prefer being comparatively "overqualified", so to speak, at CCN rather than average or slightly below at HYS?

No it is not a good reason. The people you will hang out with are the ones that aren't douchebags about their accomplishments, and everyone will have their own set of unique accomplishments (by adcomm design) so comparison is difficult. And there will be a large representation of entitled douche bags at any law school. I'll admit it is easy to feel intimidated, though, but it fades after getting to know everyone. I think some posts on this topic about being HYS material are dumb. You aren't HYS material until you are admitted to HYS--that is the only thing that makes you HYS material, so ascribe no extra significance to it, please.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:51 pm

karatenutz wrote:You aren't HYS material until you are admitted to HYS--that is the only thing that makes you HYS material, so ascribe no extra significance to it, please.

Or if you're just inherently awesomer than other people.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”