HYS Intimidation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
delusional

Silver

HYS Intimidation

Post by delusional » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:03 pm

Say someone has a good GPA at an average school, and does well enough on the LSAT to be a strong consider at HYS. Said person feels that they have an educational disadvantage compared to all the trust-fund Ivy undergrads who were previously acclaimed ballerinas or Navy colonels, or King George IV's speech therapist. Is that a reason to attend CCN over one of the top 3?

In short, is it logical to prefer being comparatively "overqualified", so to speak, at CCN rather than average or slightly below at HYS?

Adjudicator

Silver

Re: HYS Intimidation

Post by Adjudicator » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:08 pm

delusional wrote:Say someone has a good GPA at an average school, and does well enough on the LSAT to be a strong consider at HYS. Said person feels that they have an educational disadvantage compared to all the trust-fund Ivy undergrads who were previously acclaimed ballerinas or Navy colonels, or King George IV's speech therapist. Is that a reason to attend CCN over one of the top 3?

In short, is it logical to prefer being comparatively "overqualified", so to speak, at CCN rather than average or slightly below at HYS?
Where they went to school or what they've done in life has no bearing on natural ability, work ethic, or luck, and those are the 3 biggest factors that will determine where everyone ends up.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:09 pm

delusional wrote:Say someone has a good GPA at an average school, and does well enough on the LSAT to be a strong consider at HYS. Said person feels that they have an educational disadvantage compared to all the trust-fund Ivy undergrads who were previously acclaimed ballerinas or Navy colonels, or King George IV's speech therapist. Is that a reason to attend CCN over one of the top 3?

No, because initial hiring is based more on appearances than capability. Going to HYS makes employers think you are one of those top people.

Also, you are one of those top people. Being a ballerina will not help someone one bit on a law exam. Put a chip on your shoulder and leave it there until you graduate.

1evilo.aihpos

New

Post by 1evilo.aihpos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:12 pm

If by average you mean knowing a couple less latin words then, no.
I think if you went to CCN you miss out on meeting a bunch of people just like you who are going to go to YHS; unless your major was something like religous studies.

in short, you were able to do 12 points higher than the average from harvard UG lsater, you did fine without a Harvard UG.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:17 pm

About a third of my section at H come from state schools, and I've had many conversations with classmates who say how intimidated they are by others. You won't be the first to feel this way.

Never let a humble past keep you from a bright future. If you're HYS material, go to HYS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:18 pm

Adjudicator wrote:

Where they went to school or what they've done in life has no bearing on natural ability, work ethic, or luck, and those are the 3 biggest factors that will determine who wins and who loses in law school.
I don't know that I agree with that 100%. As an example, in fact what inspired this question, remember that brouhaha about the HLS woman's email that seemed to imply that certain minorities are less intelligent? That email, written between friends after a dinner conversation, was notably articulate, and anyway, who the hell has heated arguments with friends over affirmative action? Is that part of work ethic?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:31 pm

Law school is not anything near rocket science. Just remember that most of the people are liberal arts majors. Sure they might know a lot about Kant but they didnt get into law school because of any novel thoughts or ideas.

ETA: I know nothing about Kant.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:22 pm

delusional wrote:I don't know that I agree with that 100%. As an example, in fact what inspired this question, remember that brouhaha about the HLS woman's email that seemed to imply that certain minorities are less intelligent? That email, written between friends after a dinner conversation, was notably articulate, and anyway, who the hell has heated arguments with friends over affirmative action? Is that part of work ethic?
I like how your proof that HYS are intellectually stimulating is "look at this racist thing a Harvard student said".

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:38 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
delusional wrote:I don't know that I agree with that 100%. As an example, in fact what inspired this question, remember that brouhaha about the HLS woman's email that seemed to imply that certain minorities are less intelligent? That email, written between friends after a dinner conversation, was notably articulate, and anyway, who the hell has heated arguments with friends over affirmative action? Is that part of work ethic?
I like how your proof that HYS are intellectually stimulating is "look at this racist thing a Harvard student said".
Not a proof - I just happened upon the article, and was struck by how articulate the email was, when apparently it was a casual email between friends. (Also, IMHO, it was far from racist.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:45 pm

delusional wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
Not a proof - I just happened upon the article, and was struck by how articulate the email was, when apparently it was a casual email between friends. (Also, IMHO, it was far from racist.)
Too easy.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:57 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
delusional wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
Too easy.
What do you mean?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:00 am

delusional wrote:What do you mean?
Does it matter, dude? She goes to Harvard; she's going to be too articulate for you.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:00 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
delusional wrote:What do you mean?
Does it matter, dude? She goes to Harvard; she's going to be too articulate for you.
I can't f'in win.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:11 pm

I like how you think that HYS students are too smart and will be intimidated, but you seem to think CCN students will be slack-jawed yokels.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:12 pm

Sentry wrote:I like how you think that HYS students are too smart and will be intimidated, but you seem to think CCN students will be slack-jawed yokels.
They probably will be - big cities make people soft in the head.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:15 pm

OP, fuck those people.

Go to HorYorS, and pwn the trust fund assholes for all of us.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:58 pm

Sentry wrote:I like how you think that HYS students are too smart and will be intimidated, but you seem to think CCN students will be slack-jawed yokels.
It might be because I know people who have gone to Columbia, or maybe it's just that I'm looking for the least intimidating school that may result in employment upon graduation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:59 pm

delusional wrote:
It might be because I know people who have gone to Columbia, or maybe it's just that I'm looking for the least intimidating school that may result in employment upon graduation.
I've heard Columbia is like H in terms of the cutthroat atmosphere, but without the prestige or respect. Also their law school looks like a dungeon.

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:08 pm

d34dluk3 wrote: I've heard Columbia is like H in terms of the cutthroat atmosphere, but without the prestige or respect. Also their law school looks like a dungeon.
+1

Go where you feel most comfortable OP. I honestly think school culture is a big deal. You'll be spending three years with these people. Go to ASW.

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Adjudicator wrote:

Where they went to school or what they've done in life has no bearing on natural ability, work ethic, or luck, and those are the 3 biggest factors that will determine where everyone ends up.
I remember my friend who attends a HYP undergrad said to me once , "a third of my classmates work their asses off, another third say 'Bs get degrees, and mine will be from HYP,' and the final third says 'I don't care what my grades are, my family is so wealthy that I am set for life'" .... that said, I am sure it is the first third that will be your classmates at HYS...

Also worth mentioning, one of my friends who went to an "average" (top public) undergrad is at Harvard, and she says most people she has met there are more normal that she expected... if you get admitted to HYS, the best advice (as a 0L) I would give is to check out ASW, and see if you want to spend 3 years with the people you meet there, as if you are admitted, I am sure the committee must see something awesome in your app!

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:17 pm

delusional wrote:
There are going to be privileged trust fund babies at most schools that will result in employment upon graduation.

I'll add I knew a guy from my average state school who got into all three of HYS. he was a normal nice guy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swfangirl

Bronze

Post by swfangirl » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:18 pm

.....plenty of people from Ivy undergrads don't have trust funds and receive substantial financial aid. Plenty of YHS accepted students are just pretty normal people.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:18 pm

I, for one, hope that I am surrounded by trust fund types in law school. I intend to marry one and live a life of leisure.

But seriously, the grading systems and job opportunities at HYS probably make those schools more forgiving to the easily intimidated than CCN would be. The pass/pass grading system of YLS and the knowledge that I'll primarily be competing with myself and not my classmates, was one of its biggest draws for me.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:29 pm

notanumber wrote:I, for one, hope that I am surrounded by trust fund types in law school. I intend to marry one and live a life of leisure.

But seriously, the grading systems and job opportunities at HYS probably make those schools more forgiving to the easily intimidated than CCN would be. The pass/pass grading system of YLS and the knowledge that I'll primarily be competing with myself and not my classmates, was one of its biggest draws for me.
What wasn't serious about the first part?

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:05 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
notanumber wrote:I, for one, hope that I am surrounded by trust fund types in law school. I intend to marry one and live a life of leisure.

What wasn't serious about the first part?
One would imagine that very few billionaire heiresses actually have the desire to attend a top law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”