Georgetown Group Interview Invitation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
amorfati

Bronze

Georgetown Group Interview Invitation

Post by amorfati » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:27 pm

I just received an e-mail invitation to participate in an optional group interview for GULC. Has anyone participated in one of these? I think I'd be more inclined to do an individual interview - I'm a bit weirded out by the thought of group interview dynamics. Also, it says it won't affect chances for admission, so I'm wondering if it's even worth the stress... thoughts?

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Re: Georgetown Group Interview Invitation

Post by quetzal_bird » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:22 pm

There is a thread about this. I just had mine. I actually went even though the school called me the morning of to tell me, unofficially, that I was already in and didn't need to come. Its not very stressful, and the format is the same for every interview. You pretend to be an admissions council and you weigh in on how to select candidates and what is important in admissions. The dean listens in. Honestly, I think showing the initiative and coming in can only help you, and its a good way of seeing the Law Center if you haven't already. But other than curiosity, the dean is the first one to tell you that he won't get to know anyone very well by the end of interview. He does take notes though that are added to your file.

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks for the input. I guess I forgot to mention that this was for one of the regional ones (New York/tri-state area) with an alum. I'm wondering if the format is the same? I don't think I want to play pretend adcomm!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Hopefully Texas or UCLA will move up & bump Georgetown down a notch so they stop making fools of applicants.

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Yeah, I don't know about alum interviews. Don't stress about it though. Its really an attempt for Georgetown to market itself to applicants more than it is a way of judging applicants. You are evaluated, I'm sure, but just agreeing to attend probably means more than your performance at the actual interview. These things are hard to stand out in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:22 pm

quetzal_bird wrote:Yeah, I don't know about alum interviews. Don't stress about it though. Its really an attempt for Georgetown to market itself to applicants more than it is a way of judging applicants. You are evaluated, I'm sure, but just agreeing to attend probably means more than your performance at the actual interview. These things are hard to stand out in.
+1

Mine had 16 people and it was very tough to get too many words in. Plus, the dean picks on random people for certain questions and then moves on without getting much other input because of the time constraint.

I agree that actually agreeing to go, showing up, and saying a few words that don't make you sound like a complete idiot is the important part. Good luck!

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:18 pm

Going to one of these Monday (NYC). Thanks for the heads up, all!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”