What should I do??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thekunstis

What should I do??

Postby thekunstis » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Here is the situation.

171 LSAT

3.97 GPA

My school sent me a copy of my transcripts and I realized I was mistakingly left off Dean's Honors List every semester. I spoke to the Dean and he acknowledged the mistake and said he would take care of it. The problem is based on prior experience, it would probably take more than a week to correct. It would than take some time to get the updated transcripts into LSAC and processed. I would like to apply this week and list on my resume the Dean's Honor List even though it is not on my current transcripts. Can I do this or do I have to wait another three weeks to apply?

TommyK

Re: What should I do??

Postby TommyK » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:11 pm

I might be naive here, but who cares? You got a 3.97; they know you were on dean's list. I can't imagine a scenario where it would make a difference at all.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Most likely you are the only one who cares about this designation.

thekunstis

Postby thekunstis » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:21 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Most likely you are the only one who cares about this designation.
TommyK wrote:I might be naive here, but who cares? You got a 3.97; they know you were on dean's list. I can't imagine a scenario where it would make a difference at all.

The question is will the admissions committee consider it lying on my application if my transcripts do not list my honors?

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:23 pm

thekunstis wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Most likely you are the only one who cares about this designation.
TommyK wrote:I might be naive here, but who cares? You got a 3.97; they know you were on dean's list. I can't imagine a scenario where it would make a difference at all.

The question is will the admissions committee consider it lying on my application if my transcripts do not list my honors?

One sentence addendum. Done.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:23 pm

If you mention it, then just write that you "qualified" for Dean's List each term rather than "was on" Dean's List each term.

thekunstis

Postby thekunstis » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:30 pm

In the scenario that I would apply and then send in updated transcripts to LSAC, would LSAC then go and forward them to all the schools that I had already applied to?

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:43 pm

First of all, congrats on your great numbers!

You mentioned on another forum that the dean is writing you an LOR. Just ask him to mention it in the letter.

If you send updated transcripts, LSAC will forward them to all of your schools, but it may push your app to the back of the pile. I'd say drop it.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:09 pm

with a 3.97 GPA deans list is irrelevant. You could have even been on the deans double secret list - you have a 3.97 gpa and no school is going to think twice about your academic ability as far as GPA is concerned. It probably holds as much weight as saying you were the captain of the safety team in middle school.

thekunstis

Postby thekunstis » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Sandro777 wrote:with a 3.97 GPA deans list is irrelevant. You could have even been on the deans double secret list - you have a 3.97 gpa and no school is going to think twice about your academic ability as far as GPA is concerned. It probably holds as much weight as saying you were the captain of the safety team in middle school.

It may sound crazy but I was asking about listing it on my resume. I don't have any other honors or awards from the school and I want to have an honors/awards mention on my resume. My question is will it get me into trouble?

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:17 pm

thekunstis wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:with a 3.97 GPA deans list is irrelevant. You could have even been on the deans double secret list - you have a 3.97 gpa and no school is going to think twice about your academic ability as far as GPA is concerned. It probably holds as much weight as saying you were the captain of the safety team in middle school.

It may sound crazy but I was asking about listing it on my resume. I don't have any other honors or awards from the school and I want to have an honors/awards mention on my resume. My question is will it get me into trouble?

I don't see why, especially if it was due to an oversight on your UG institution's part. Just do what you can to rush the updated transcripts out and include an addendum explaining that you were under the mistaken impression that you had been on the Dean's List, have since corrected it, and have submitted updated 'scripts.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:46 pm

thekunstis wrote:

No you wont get in "trouble" for saying you made the deans list if you actually made the deans list. Apply asap as this part of your application does not matter and if you really want to update them in a few weeks and you probably wont have gone UR anywhere.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”