Anyone get an email from Harvard?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JD=Doctor

Anyone get an email from Harvard?

Postby JD=Doctor » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:36 pm

Whose numbers are both bellow their 25th%?

Pricer

Re: Anyone get an email from Harvard?

Postby Pricer » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Yep, wasn't even a fee waiver, just a "pay our $85 application fee and LSAC's $12 transaction fee so we can get your money, reject you, and pad our numbers even more".

edit: on another note, NW sent me a fee waiver around the same time, and I am right at/below their median numbers.

aspeer

Postby aspeer » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Yes I got the Harvard email and the NW email as well. I am also below their 25%, but not by much, and I have very good softs. I wonder if they are able to see these softs and where you went to school and etc., from the preliminary information in the generic LSAT application. Also I got the email after I improved my LSAT score, not with my first one. So I do wonder if this is just a gimmick as you say to get as much money as possible from application fees or do they selectively send this stuff out even among the people who may not consider themselves likely admits?

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

aspeer wrote:Yes I got the Harvard email and the NW email as well. I am also below their 25%, but not by much, and I have very good softs. I wonder if they are able to see these softs and where you went to school and etc., from the preliminary information in the generic LSAT application. Also I got the email after I improved my LSAT score, not with my first one. So I do wonder if this is just a gimmick as you say to get as much money as possible from application fees or do they selectively send this stuff out even among the people who may not consider themselves likely admits?

From what I have seen, read, and heard, I am pretty confident that application fee waivers are sent out to students who have a minimum LSAT and/or GPA. For example, a Northwestern admissions person logged into their admin account on LSAC and sent waivers to either everyone with an LSAT score of 16_+ or everyone with an LSAT score of 16_+ AND GPA of 3.__+. I am sure LSAC has some mailing system that makes this easy to do. I doubt the school looked at or even had access to any other sort of information (such as softs).

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:00 pm

Pricer wrote:
aspeer wrote:Yes I got the Harvard email and the NW email as well. I am also below their 25%, but not by much, and I have very good softs. I wonder if they are able to see these softs and where you went to school and etc., from the preliminary information in the generic LSAT application. Also I got the email after I improved my LSAT score, not with my first one. So I do wonder if this is just a gimmick as you say to get as much money as possible from application fees or do they selectively send this stuff out even among the people who may not consider themselves likely admits?

From what I have seen, read, and heard, I am pretty confident that application fee waivers are sent out to students who have a minimum LSAT and/or GPA. For example, a Northwestern admissions person logged into their admin account on LSAC and sent waivers to either everyone with an LSAT score of 16_+ or everyone with an LSAT score of 16_+ AND GPA of 3.__+. I am sure LSAC has some mailing system that makes this easy to do. I doubt the school looked at or even had access to any other sort of information (such as softs).

I think that Columbia, et al, belie this assertion.

zonto

Postby zonto » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:08 pm

They just want more spending money and better selectivity ratings in the upcoming US News 2012 rankings chase is all.

Though it does say "[e]very year, we end up admitting students who never thought they had a chance at getting into Harvard." Yep. White male, 166, 3.72, I'm sure I'm one of them... :roll:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”