$170k in law school debt? Work at a PD's office? FAIL C&F.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BrownBears09

Re: $170k in law school debt? Work at a PD's office? FAIL C&F.

Postby BrownBears09 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:43 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
TyrodTaylor wrote:I think he should sue the state bar. If he had the right connection, it could work

What's his argument exactly? That the bar can't C&F fail someone for unpaid debts?
Good luck.

His argument would be that this ding is arbitrary given the large number of people in similar situations that aren't getting dinged. Of course, that whole not making any payments at all won't help is case.

-The guy works for 5.5 years as a stockbroker, is only able to "meet expenses," and still takes on 150k of LS debt. Did he not save anything for 5.5 years? I find hard to believe he merely "broke even."
-He lives with his child's mother and "contributes minimally towards household expenses." What other expenses could he possibly have (medical?) if he's not paying back any of his debt?
-He hasn't paid any payments for 18 months on his loans and defaulted on his credit card. Refer to the previous point. How could he not afford ANY payments (I assume he didn't bother deferring?) on his loans AND defaulted on his CC?

Sounds to me the guy made terrible financial decisions in all areas of his life. His situation wasn't by chance.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Why would you take on law school debt if you have a child?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:45 pm

LSATclincher wrote:Why would you take on law school debt if you have a child?

what's the logic in this statement?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:50 pm

LSATclincher wrote:Why would you take on law school debt if you have a child?

Lots of my classmates have children. In fact, I would say that parents are over-represented in my law review compared to the overall student body. Taking on debt is not always irresponsible. In fact, parents usually have a better appreciation for money and budgeting.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”