Unexpectedly showing up to meet a dean..

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
URMdan

Unexpectedly showing up to meet a dean..

Postby URMdan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:25 am

I applied ED PT to GULC with a 153/2.95. I was thinking about showing up to Dean Cornblatt's office unexpectedly and personally telling him how much I want to attend Georgetown. Is this a good or bad idea? My chances are slim anyway so the cost-to-benefit ratio seems to make sense.

gothamm

Re: Unexpectedly showing up to meet a dean..

Postby gothamm » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:49 am

if not for you post count, i'd have said troll.

Just curious as to how you think you will be accepted with those stats. No disrespect intended.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:14 am

Well yes, its an awful idea. You can't just barge into someone's office you've never met in the middle of the day. It doesn't cost you anything to send an email requesting an appointment, but the response will probably offer a meeting with someone else on the adcom, not the dean. Not only that, I've been to the GULC admissions office. The receptionist won't let you see anyone without an appointment, let alone the dean of the fucking law school.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:15 am

And this is the single worst time of year to try to get in to see anybody in the admissions office, even the secretary.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:16 am

URMdan wrote:I applied ED PT to GULC with a 153/2.95. I was thinking about showing up to Dean Cornblatt's office unexpectedly and personally telling him how much I want to attend Georgetown. Is this a good or bad idea? My chances are slim anyway so the cost-to-benefit ratio seems to make sense.

Do it, don't take no for an answer. GET IN THAT OFFICE. And pm me the exact time and date when you're gonna try this.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:17 am

Must be a joke....I applied to GULC with a 12 point higher LSAT and I know that I have zero chance at getting in.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:18 am

gothamm wrote:if not for you post count, i'd have said troll.

Just curious as to how you think you will be accepted with those stats. No disrespect intended.

It's a lotto ticket. Plus, I'm AA with a unique story, so there's always a chance.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:21 am

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:22 am

URMdan wrote:
gothamm wrote:if not for you post count, i'd have said troll.

It's a lotto ticket. Plus, I'm AA with a unique story, so there's always a chance.

Most of the people leaving comments here our lemmings who know very little about the process, parrot everything they've heard on TLS, and are UNWILLING to take any sort of GAME CHANGING risk. You've got the right idea man, but you gotta go all out if you're gonna do this. It's a lotto ticket. Diversity is your friend here. If you show up dressed like 2pac, and you can get in that office. You'll get into this school. Trust me.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:23 am

FWIW, I couldn't even get in to see an Asst Dean of the Law School I go to without first making an appointment by e-mail.

This is a terrible idea.

Edit: If you do it....please please please take a video camera and record it...lol.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20121109 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:23 am

D. H2Oman wrote:Most of the people leaving comments here our lemmings who know very little about the process, parrot everything they've heard on TLS, and are UNWILLING to take any sort of GAME CHANGING risk. You've got the right idea man, but you gotta go all out if you're gonna do this. It's a lotto ticket. Diversity is your friend here. If you show up dressed like 2pac, and you can get in that office. You'll get into this school. Trust me.

One must try not to troll on-topic threads.

bmore

Postby bmore » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:24 am

Expect to be tasered :lol:

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:24 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:Most of the people leaving comments here our lemmings who know very little about the process, parrot everything they've heard on TLS, and are UNWILLING to take any sort of GAME CHANGING risk. You've got the right idea man, but you gotta go all out if you're gonna do this. It's a lotto ticket. Diversity is your friend here. If you show up dressed like 2pac, and you can get in that office. You'll get into this school. Trust me.

Oh no.... did he get banned? :|

Postby 20121109 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:25 am

kazu wrote:

What? LOL...Absolutely not.

Just a gentle warning...

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:27 am

I really doubt you get into Georgetown even with a unique story and background. You might as well go down swinging. If you think you're going to bust in there and impress everyone with your can do attitude, gumption, and persistence well, that only happens in movies really.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:28 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:What? LOL...Absolutely not.

Just a gentle warning...

Oh, whew. That's a relief - SF misses H2Oman during those times he gets banned for being, um, overzealous.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:29 am

joeshmo39 wrote:I really doubt you get into Georgetown even with a unique story and background. You might as well go down swinging. If you think you're going to bust in there and impress everyone with your can do attitude, gumption, and persistence well, that only happens in movies really.

Not only this, I'd bet such poor judgment would warrant a phone call to the deans at other schools. At the least you'd probable become an amusing story that gets e-mailed around.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:30 am

kazu wrote:

What? LOL...Absolutely not.

Just a gentle warning...

You can punish me anyway you'd like :oops:

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:31 am

I wasn't trying to make a scene or anything, I was just hoping to run into him. Dean Cornblatt usually talks to groups during tours, so I was hoping I'd run into him after one of those and introduce myself.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:34 am

URMdan wrote:I wasn't trying to make a scene or anything, I was just hoping to run into him. Dean Cornblatt usually talks to groups during tours, so I was hoping I'd run into him after one of those and introduce myself.

And tell him what? Like every other person you really want to go there? Unless you are going to tell him that you were just awarded a patent on a life-changing cancer medication...don't bother.

bmore

Postby bmore » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:34 am

URMdan wrote:I wasn't trying to make a scene or anything, I was just hoping to run into him. Dean Cornblatt usually talks to groups during tours, so I was hoping I'd run into him after one of those and introduce myself.

You said "show up in his office". Security!

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:35 am

Put this effort into retaking the LSAT man. Georgetown is one of the least holistic school's out there. This will not make a difference. You're right it's a lotto ticket, unfortunately it's one you found in a puddle on the side walk and the lottery was run yesterday.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:36 am

If GULC is your dream...why not? But, I wouldn't show up unexpectedly as that is not very professional. And even if you were to get to see him without an appointment, I'm sure it wouldn't be for very long. Try to request an appointment or an interview. I am not familiar with their admissions process or how easy this is to achieve but it seems that with your stats you really need to have that face to face time to get them interested in looking past what's on paper. Good luck!

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:37 am

dddhhh wrote:If GULC is your dream...why not? But, I wouldn't show up unexpectedly as that is not very professional. And even if you were to get to see him without an appointment, I'm sure it wouldn't be for very long. Try to request an appointment or an interview. I am not familiar with their admissions process or how easy this is to achieve but it seems that with your stats you really need to have that face to face time to get them interested in looking past what's on paper. Good luck!

Prospective students almost never get an appointment with anyone...let alone the dean. Otherwise they would do nothing else. They aren't looking past those numbers.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:43 am

At the one I attended, he made a point of leaving before the end, before the "meet and greet."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”