What are good softs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Robert515

What are good softs?

Postby Robert515 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:53 am

I am currently a freshman in college and I have been doing some Law school research and I see some people with what appear to be rather impressive softs. I understand that the LSAT and UG GPA are by far the most important factors in the admission process. It just seems that everyone here seems to say that most softs are not "unique" or "game changing." Does anyone know what some great softs would be during undergrad?

berkeleykel06

Re: What are good softs?

Postby berkeleykel06 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:03 am

I'm too lazy to actually answer this question, but you may want to try to the Forum Search option and look for thread titles containing the phrase "good softs" (or the like).

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:11 am

Robert515 wrote:I am currently a freshman in college and I have been doing some Law school research and I see some people with what appear to be rather impressive softs. I understand that the LSAT and UG GPA are by far the most important factors in the admission process. It just seems that everyone here seems to say that most softs are not "unique" or "game changing." Does anyone know what some great softs would be during undergrad?

Typical responses include (and are probably limited to):
1. Cure cancer
2. Nobel Prize
3. Olympic Medal (preferably gold)

TLSanders

Postby TLSanders » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:37 am

The real value in most softs isn't the activity itself but what it says about you/you gain from it/you contribute to the world through it, etc. While it's wonderful to have something truly unique and impressive and that might draw a bit more attention to your application, nearly anything you're invested in, see through, progress with and develop characteristics through that you can carry into other areas of your life and into law school/the practice of law can be used to your advantage in law school apps.

You'll go further finding something you are actually passionate about and can fully engage in than trying to choose the right activity for your applications.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”