Should I mention poker on my resume? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LSATscoreReleseYoslf

New

Should I mention poker on my resume?

Post by LSATscoreReleseYoslf » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:16 am

I apologize for posting this twice, but my question is a bit more specific now. In applications that list "employment" I am assuming that they are asking for paid positions and not internships. If this assumption is incorrect, please let me know. I have been out of school for two and half years now, and after a year working abroad post college I interned for 8 months before again taking a fulltime job. I have made over 140K playing online poker since sophomore college, and this money allowed me to financially be able to take these unpaid positions. Do you think that mentioning poker under the achievement section of my resume would be a good idea in order to counter the perception that I was out of work for quite some time?

TwelveBeeSicks

New

Re: Should I mention poker on my resume?

Post by TwelveBeeSicks » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:17 am

LSATscoreReleseYoslf wrote:I apologize for posting this twice, but my question is a bit more specific now. In applications that list "employment" I am assuming that they are asking for paid positions and not internships. If this assumption is incorrect, please let me know. I have been out of school for two and half years now, and after a year working abroad post college I interned for 8 months before again taking a fulltime job. I have made over 140K playing online poker since sophomore college, and this money allowed me to financially be able to take these unpaid positions. Do you think that mentioning poker under the achievement section of my resume would be a good idea in order to counter the perception that I was out of work for quite some time?
Sounds like something interesting for an essay, or when you get into law school to put on your Resume. Good talking point as a lot of lawyers play poker. As far as admissions goes, I'm not sure that it would do much of anything.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:19 am

maybe just put that you were self employed with your own internet business :D in all seriousness it would probably be good to spin it somehow i'm pretty sure someone on here talked about being an ebay seller so a little bit different but along the same lines

TLSanders

Bronze

Post by TLSanders » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:34 am

I'm not sure it's going to make much difference one way or the other on your resume, or that someone glancing over your resume (which is all they usually get) will necessarily make the connection between your ability to work in unpaid positions and your poker "career". I think it's potentially great material, though, depending on how you use it. If it doesn't fit the theme of your personal statement, it might be something you want to include in a supplemental essay.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:39 am

Did you pay taxes on those poker winnings? If not, I'd probably STFU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:42 am

Too much risk not enough reward. Reward? Having an adcomm say "oh wow he made a lot of money playing poker cool" risk "this guy is a degenerate gambler not the type of material we want here at Peoples College School of Law"

alexb

Bronze

Post by alexb » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:57 am

Shit bro, quit law school, keep on gamblin. You doin good! :P Jk. Just say self-employed, internet something something.

Or, even better, say nothing and don't lie.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”