Applying in January for law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawfreak

Bronze

Applying in January for law school

Post by lawfreak » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:18 pm

How much of a disadvantage does it put me in for applying in January?

I was not able to apply earlier because I just got back my score from the December LSAT.

Thanks

FlanAl

Silver

Re: Applying in January for law school

Post by FlanAl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:24 pm

depends on the school. if apps close Feb 1 then you are probably at more of a disadvantage than those whose apps close March 1 etc. etc.

From what I can tell applying early will definitely help, as it does in any rolling admissions situation but I'd like to think that TLS kinda blows the importance up too much (or at least I hope so as I'm applying asap due to Dec Lsat)

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:37 pm

I just finished applying on the 8th. It puts one at a disadvantage, but it's difficult to quantify how much it hurts.

mountaintime

Bronze

Post by mountaintime » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:45 pm

I think that TLS sometimes over-emphasizes the value applying early. Certainly applying in mid-February will hurt a candidate, but I applied to all my schools between Jan. 1-10 last year, and my cycle went almost exactly as one would have expected.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Honestly, it all depends on the school. My cycle was such that I got into where LSN indicated I would despite applying in mid-Jan. Monetary awards at my real targets (Vandy/Texas) did not suffer despite applying "late." And this was even at Texas, who mandates many in-state spots.

But it really does depend on the school. Last cycle, if you were OOS and applied to UGA right now you would have been WL. They ran out of OOS spots.

Applying early never hurts, but applying "late" may or may not hurt you. That's just how it is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:05 pm

dittos. The idea that applying in December/Early Jan will "hurt" you is a bit of a misnomer. While certainly some specific schools run out of spots or have unique admission strategies, by and large if you have the stats to get in you will get in. Law Schools dont just open the gates to anyone and then suddenly close them once december/jan rolls around.

Some schools havent even issued any decisions yet.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:11 pm

this is the best news ever. I have been worrying about applying late. Most of my apps were complete minus December LSAT score and now I'm UR. Whether you guys are right or not, I'm going to bask in the feeling of not worrying for a few minutes.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:14 pm

kwais wrote:this is the best news ever. I have been worrying about applying late. Most of my apps were complete minus December LSAT score and now I'm UR. Whether you guys are right or not, I'm going to bask in the feeling of not worrying for a few minutes.
+1. You took the words out of my mouth.
Last edited by akili on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:16 pm

hey thanks a bunch rad and mount!
its especially good to hear about Texas and Vandy as those are among my top choices

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:18 pm

hey rad would you mind telling us your numbers or if you were at both medians etc.? you could pm if you want. OR someone could help me figure out how to find other people's numbers since everyone seems so good at doing that on here

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:19 pm

theres no point in worrying. You know what the two big decision makers for admissions people are, and how your numbers are in comparison to them. You have your personal statement all ready to go. Everything is sent in, and there is nothing else to do. WHat happends will happen and there is nothing you can do to change their minds for this cycle. If you have numbers good enough to get in, see how much money you can wrangle ou t of the schools.

go walk yer dog, hang out with friends, and relax. There willl be plenty of time and reasons for worrying once school starts

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:24 pm

northwood wrote: go walk yer dog, hang out with friends, and relax. There willl be plenty of time and reasons for worrying once school starts
So true. As someone in school now, waiting for law schools to admit you is entirely more predictable and much less stress inducing than grades.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:36 am

I'm also applying late, took the December test... I'm more curious if anyone knows how this affects scholarships? I'm applying to Fordham/Cardozo/Brooklyn and San Diego/Loyola CA/San Francisco... any scholly insight would be massively appreciated...

Also, with a 164/3.6, do you think it's worth it to apply to USC and UCLA (especially this late)? I would DIEEEEE to go to either but I don't want to waste $65 a pop if it's pretty much hopeless...

:?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:55 am

smittelman6 wrote: Also, with a 164/3.6, do you think it's worth it to apply to USC and UCLA (especially this late)? I would DIEEEEE to go to either but I don't want to waste $65 a pop if it's pretty much hopeless...
It would evenbe hopeless with an early app. unfortunately.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:57 am

are there any people out there who saw a huge difference by waiting and re-applying earlier in the cycle with same numbers?

TLSanders

Bronze

Post by TLSanders » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:50 am

Seems like a lot of conjecture in this thread that might provide some comfort but also be misleading. It's true that not all schools use rolling admissions, for example, but that doesn't mean that the chances for admission at those schools don't shift as the admissions process moves forward. Most schools use some form of a presumptive admit/denial number, and at many schools that number is adjusted as the admissions cycle progresses.

Another issue arises with regard to the practical ability of the committee to consider softs. If your numbers are well into the safe zone, then it's probably true that in many cases the timing won't make a significant difference...but that's often not the case. If you're relying on a closer analysis, common sense tells you that it's to your benefit to have a committee with months in front of it and a small percentage of applications in hand looking at your app than one that is snowed under with apps and a rapidly approaching goal date for completion of the admissions cycle.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:01 am

TLSanders wrote: Another issue arises with regard to the practical ability of the committee to consider softs. If your numbers are well into the safe zone, then it's probably true that in many cases the timing won't make a significant difference...but that's often not the case. If you're relying on a closer analysis, common sense tells you that it's to your benefit to have a committee with months in front of it and a small percentage of applications in hand looking at your app than one that is snowed under with apps and a rapidly approaching goal date for completion of the admissions cycle.
Good thing softs barely matter, if at all, and nothing you said here is at odds really with anything posited above.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”