Addendum for being stupid?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
JDndMSW
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 am

Addendum for being stupid?

Postby JDndMSW » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:16 pm

i was more than immature when I went to school right out of h/s. I decided to drop out of school during Oct. of my first semester yet I did not understand out of stupidity that I needed to actually drop the class. This resulted in 13 units of F's. (My parents although financial supportive did not do much else for me). This was in the Fall of '06 and after moving back home to CA from MT I was unable to have CA in state tuition so I took the next year off and an AmeriCorps full time program.
When I started back in school again at a community college in Spring '09 I did really well. And was able to transfer in about a year and a half with a 3.7~. Now I am at a state school and my first semester I earned a 3.92 (stupid A-). So I am sure it is VERY obvious to most people what happened by just looking at my academic record so should I write an addendum. Those grades literally are no reflection of my abilities since I did not attend them half of the semester, and my upward grade trend is obvious. If I write one should it just be a sentence or two just basically stating I did not understand the process in dropping a class and therefore received these F's... And btw if all goes well I am hoping to have a 3.4 LSDAS GPA after next fall...
Thanks!

Curry

Re: Addendum for being stupid?

Postby Curry » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:17 pm

JDndMSW wrote:i was more than immature when I went to school right out of h/s. I decided to drop out of school during Oct. of my first semester yet I did not understand out of stupidity that I needed to actually drop the class. This resulted in 13 units of F's. (My parents although financial supportive did not do much else for me). This was in the Fall of '06 and after moving back home to CA from MT I was unable to have CA in state tuition so I took the next year off and an AmeriCorps full time program.
When I started back in school again at a community college in Spring '09 I did really well. And was able to transfer in about a year and a half with a 3.7~. Now I am at a state school and my first semester I earned a 3.92 (stupid A-). So I am sure it is VERY obvious to most people what happened by just looking at my academic record so should I write an addendum. Those grades literally are no reflection of my abilities since I did not attend them half of the semester, and my upward grade trend is obvious. If I write one should it just be a sentence or two just basically stating I did not understand the process in dropping a class and therefore received these F's... And btw if all goes well I am hoping to have a 3.4 LSDAS GPA after next fall...
Thanks!


I would explain it but don't frame it the way you did here. say you fucked up, that you've learned from it, and your grades show it. Tell them that your first quarter grades aren't indicative of your abilities. Thats it. Keep it short. Don't make excuses.

JD2014
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Addendum for being stupid?

Postby JD2014 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Definitely write an addendum, and keep it brief, but find a palatable way of saying why you dropped out, so it doesn't sound like you were dodging academic dishonesty or had some kind of mental breakdown. The event was too recent to play the "I was stupid when I was younger card.".

User avatar
JDndMSW
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 am

Re: Addendum for being stupid?

Postby JDndMSW » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:08 pm

JD2014 wrote:Definitely write an addendum, and keep it brief, but find a palatable way of saying why you dropped out, so it doesn't sound like you were dodging academic dishonesty or had some kind of mental breakdown. The event was too recent to play the "I was stupid when I was younger card.".


It will have been 5 years since the bad grades when I apply. I also took two years off after that semester. My PS will be a lot about my AmeriCorps experience which I think is what matured me and gave me a strong work ethic and motivation. The reason for dropping out was really I had a controlling bf who convinced me it was better just to hang out with him instead of go to school...
A bit off topic but just brain storming about my PS I was wondering if starting it off talking about my abortion I had and how it was the catalyst for me doing something with my life because I chose to be selfish and chose my future over being a young mother... I was also possibly going to preface it with how important our human rights are... Anyways I am mostly wondering if that seems a bit shocking or would be looked very down upon by disclosing that sort of information.
Thanks for the input. I'm really new here and I have no help from my state school. I saw our pre law advisor today who btw is a Math teacher and he gave me no information.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Addendum for being stupid?

Postby bartleby » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:02 am

It's fine to play the I'm stupid when I was younger card. What matters is that you learned from it, moved on, and you aren't that same person. Don't say anything about your parents or boyfriend, though. You were young, you made a bad decision, you accept the consequences.

I know how you feel. I had 3 Fs and a D my freshman year, and it was a grind getting it back up to a 3.3.

Don't talk about the abortion in your personal statement either. That kinda stuff...I feel would elicit a lot of diff. responses depending on who is reading it. Unless you plan on writing multiple PSs. I wanted to go with a negative PS at first but then switched it to a much safer, more canned PS.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Addendum for being stupid?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:12 am

See if you can get a retroactive withdrawal for those 13 credits of F.

User avatar
JDndMSW
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 am

Re: Addendum for being stupid?

Postby JDndMSW » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:30 am

Desert Fox wrote:See if you can get a retroactive withdrawal for those 13 credits of F.


I've looked into all kinds of stuff for that school but since I never went back there and they are just a small state school in MT I've just come to terms with them forever haunting my academic record.

User avatar
TLSanders
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:24 am

Re: Addendum for being stupid?

Postby TLSanders » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:39 am

Yes, you should write an addendum. It should be brief and to the point and you should not "play" any "card". Simply state that you were not at that point ready to make the commitment to school, but failed to realized that you needed to formally withdraw and so the classes you should have dropped instead appear as F's. Then very briefly (in a sentence or two) state the elapsed time, what happened in the interim (apparently AmeriCorps?) and your GPA without those F's.

I know this is not what you were asking about, but I'm compelled to suggest that you NOT begin your personal statement with an abortion.

JD2014
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Addendum for being stupid?

Postby JD2014 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:12 am

Sorry for being cavalier about your situation. Your initial post didn't describe the full details of the situation. I feel as if I belittled what sounds like a serious situation.

However, dickheads like me are the people that will review your application. Cover all pertinent details, or else people will fill them in for you. I have to reiterate what I said before: explicate why you left school rather than leaving it to the imagination. The worst will be assumed if you don't cover it, and you're doing very well now, so the closing sentence of the addendum writes itself. As others stated, keep it short and concise.

User avatar
JDndMSW
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 am

Re: Addendum for being stupid?

Postby JDndMSW » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:37 am

Just an update... not that anyone cares but it made my like YEAR... I spoke with someone from my school that I received the F's at and I may be able to do a retroactive withdraw that will put my GPA anywhere from a 3.73 to a 3.77 when I apply! Wish me luck! :)




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Leliana, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests