Addendum- LSAT 7 point improvement? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
anni

Bronze

Addendum- LSAT 7 point improvement?

Post by anni » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Pre-law advisor says to write one, but I'm not sure. I have thyroid issues and she said I could use this, and explain that my "medical condition just leaves you fatigued and that you weren't initially prepared for the virtual marathon of the test, and that the second time I knew what to expect and was better prepared and had more energy." but I'm scared this will come off wrong. I was prepared, but mostly just really nervous. I don't want schools to think I will never be prepared because of my condition. Any thoughts? :?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Addendum- LSAT 7 point improvement?

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:58 pm

You could. That addendum seems okay (even if it is possibly lying).

That being said, I doubt it will make much of a difference one way or the other.

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:04 pm

If you're going to do a "I have a chronic medical condition that reared its ugly head" addendum, I have the impression that it's critical to indicate that something significant has changed since the incident that would assure adcomms that your condition is under (better) control and will be throughout LS and for the rest of your career.

anni

Bronze

Post by anni » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:10 pm

joebloe wrote:If you're going to do a "I have a chronic medical condition that reared its ugly head" addendum, I have the impression that it's critical to indicate that something significant has changed since the incident that would assure adcomms that your condition is under (better) control and will be throughout LS and for the rest of your career.
Exactly! Thats why I am weary about using that, because that was just on the october administration. Maybe just make an addendum to say its under control now?

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Post by StillHerexxx » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:20 pm

One of the schools I applied to makes you write an addendum if you took multiple LSATs and there was a sizable difference. I explained how I really had no idea how to prepare for the test, didn't take a prep class, and had no one giving me advice how to prepare. Then I explained I found resources (this site mainly, but didn't say that) that helped me learn how to prepare and it made all the difference. Then tried to explain that my scores weren't the most important aspect, but the difference in scores were, because unlike the LSAT or my GPA, it shows my work ethic.

I will find out in a couple months how that worked out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:31 pm

I went from 162 to 169. I didn't write an addendum to any schools I applied to. I simply underperformed the first time, and I have absolutely no excuse for the low score. I could have come up with something, but I didn't want to sound insincere or take the time to write a BS addendum to the adcomms. My PTs were high 160s and 170s before both tests, so I was much more satisfied with the second attempt. Since schools only report their applicants' highest scores now, I don't think it will matter too much at any to which I submitted applications.

anni

Bronze

Post by anni » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Can anyone tell me how this sounds? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, as I plan to send in my applications tonight.

I was diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer on April 15, 2005, and the treatment was a total thyroidectomy. I now take medicine everyday to replace the hormone my thyroid used to produce. I underperformed on the October LSAT administration because my condition left me fatigued. This initially caused me to be unprepared for the virtual marathon of the test. My seven point improvement is due to my dosage being increased, which gave me more energy and rendered me better prepared for the December LSAT administration. My medical condition is now under complete control, and will not interfere with any tasks I may need to complete in the future. I believe this can also be shown by the increase in my GPA of 3.4 to 3.6 after the Fall 2010 semester, which my updated transcripts will prove.
Documentation may be provided upon request.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Just say you studied harder and shook off test day nerves. Or say you were sick the first time you took it.

IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”