Possible consequences of a failure to disclose? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
perse2011

New

Possible consequences of a failure to disclose?

Post by perse2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:56 pm

If failed to disclose some educational background in application but added the information when asked. What would be the possible consequence, including legal consequence?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Re: Possible consequences of a failure to disclose?

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Rejection. Especially if it's something egregious.

perse2011

New

Post by perse2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Rejection. Especially if it's something egregious.
Besides rejection, is there any legal or administrative consequence? For example not allowed to apply for any other law schools any more?

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 pm

if it is/can be a c&f issue, then it most likely will found and brought up when taking the bar. The safest thing is ALWAYS to disclose everything from the beginning

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:04 pm

perse2011 wrote:
Besides rejection, is there any legal or administrative consequence? For example not allowed to apply for any other law schools any more?

I don't want to sound harsh; I'm sure you're just worried/genuinely naive. However, don't be an idiot. Why do you kids think that law schools have so much power/resources to hire a private investigator to track you down/care so damn much about you?

The greatest issue you have "legally" is, if it is something egregious, and you are accepted and matriculate at a school before updating them, you may have issues with C&F. I had a classmate who had to drop out halfway through spring semester of 1L because he didn't disclose everything on his app. and was told he'd never be able to pass C&F as a result of the nature of the non disclosures/fact that he didn't initially disclose.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
perse2011 wrote:

I don't want to sound harsh; I'm sure you're just worried/genuinely naive. However, don't be an idiot. Why do you kids think that law schools have so much power/resources to hire a private investigator to track you down/care so damn much about you?

The greatest issue you have "legally" is, if it is something egregious, and you are accepted and matriculate at a school before updating them, you may have issues with C&F. I had a classmate who had to drop out halfway through spring semester of 1L because he didn't disclose everything on his app. and was told he'd never be able to pass C&F as a result of the nature of the non disclosures/fact that he didn't initially disclose.
Does anyone have a laundry list of such things the C&F would look into (in a link to a website or something)? I have fully disclosed everything of my app, but for the sake of the OP and my curiosity, I would be interested in what this committee actually looks for.

perse2011

New

Post by perse2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:11 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
perse2011 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed response. The current case is a little bit different. The admission committee has already specially inquired about the matter and I added the omitted information. But they indicate they consider omission a serious matter and ask for my further comment. I'm a little confused, what "comment" should I make now? Apology for omission or it is a sigh that they want to submit the case to some sort of higher authority?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:13 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
perse2011 wrote:

Does anyone have a laundry list of such things the C&F would look into (in a link to a website or something)? I have fully disclosed everything of my app, but for the sake of the OP and my curiosity, I would be interested in what this committee actually looks for.
General criminal charges, academic dishonesty, campus rule violations, etc... Anything that may implicate a candidate's moral turpitude. I don't think anyone can give a truly exhaustive list. Additionally, different bar examiners will give different weight to different things. I had an attorney tell me he got called before C&F because he tried to reenter a football game after he walked out....

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:16 pm

perse2011 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
perse2011 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed response. The current case is a little bit different. The admission committee has already specially inquired about the matter and I added the omitted information. But they indicate they consider omission a serious matter and ask for my further comment. I'm a little confused, what "comment" should I make now? Apology for omission or it is a sigh that they want to submit the case to some sort of higher authority?
Was it an intentional omission? Like I said, there is no "higher authority" for you to be reported to. They'll reject you. That's about it. I assume "comment" just means they want you to explain why it was omitted. Again, if this was something bad that you intentionally omitted, you need to updated your app everywhere if you ever want to practice law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

perse2011

New

Post by perse2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Was it an intentional omission? Like I said, there is no "higher authority" for you to be reported to. They'll reject you. That's about it. I assume "comment" just means they want you to explain why it was omitted. Again, if this was something bad that you intentionally omitted, you need to updated your app everywhere if you ever want to practice law.[/quote]

I don't have evidence either to prove the omission was intentional or otherwise. But if the Committee thinks it was intentional, what would be my option now? "Comment" it was not intentional, beg for pardon and withdraw my application, or anything else?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:22 pm

It may be reported to state bars if & when you apply for a bar exam. Not sure if some law schools report earlier.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:23 pm

perse2011 wrote:
I don't have evidence either to prove the omission was intentional or otherwise. But if the Committee thinks it was intentional, what would be my option now? "Comment" it was not intentional, beg for pardon and withdraw my application, or anything else?

LOL you haven't really answered any of my questions. This is all I'll say on this topic:

If the omission was not intentional, apologize profusely and assure them that it wasn't.

If the omission was intentional, apologize profusely and update all your other apps if you ever want to practice law. Also, slap yourself for being an idiot.

perse2011

New

Post by perse2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:25 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
perse2011 wrote:

LOL you haven't really answered any of my questions. This is all I'll say on this topic:

If the omission was not intentional, apologize profusely and assure them that it wasn't.

If the omission was intentional, apologize profusely and update all your other apps if you ever want to practice law.
Thanks. Actually I have only applied one school so far. I was going to say that the omission was not intentional but am afraid they might not believe it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:27 pm

Sounds as if there may be a reasonable presumption that the omission was an intentional act to cover-up unfavorable information. Ironically, your omissions in this thread may produce incorrect, although well-intentioned, advice. Poor judgment at best.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:27 pm

The NCBE's Bar Examiner publication runs a column called "Litigation Update" periodically that discusses bar applications that have gone on to be litigated, including a number that were denied because of C&F issues. You can see many of them on the NCBE's website, but it's not easy to navigate to it, so here's a search page that should get all of them: http://www.google.com/#q=site:ncbex.org ... fp=1&cad=b

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:32 pm

perse2011 wrote:Possible consequences of a failure to disclose?
I mean, this could happen to you too

perse2011

New

Post by perse2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:33 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Sounds as if there may be a reasonable presumption that the omission was an intentional act to cover-up unfavorable information. Ironically, your omissions in this thread may produce incorrect, although well-intentioned, advice. Poor judgment at best.
The Committee seems to have a presumption of "intentional" now. Even if I have already added all the omitted information.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

perse2011

New

Post by perse2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:35 pm

joebloe wrote:The NCBE's Bar Examiner publication runs a column called "Litigation Update" periodically that discusses bar applications that have gone on to be litigated, including a number that were denied because of C&F issues. You can see many of them on the NCBE's website, but it's not easy to navigate to it, so here's a search page that should get all of them: http://www.google.com/#q=site:ncbex.org ... fp=1&cad=b
Thanks for the article. It would be an issue even some information was omitted in the initial law school application but completed by an addendum?

perse2011

New

Post by perse2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:36 pm

James Bond wrote:
Strangely the pictures make me feel better

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:37 pm

perse2011 wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Strangely the pictures make me feel better
:?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Again, but in straightforward language, reads as if you got caught withholding negative information. If you want good advice, you need to share more detailed information.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

perse2011

New

Post by perse2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:41 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Again, but in straightforward language, reads as if you got caught withholding negative information. If you want good advice, you need to share more detailed information.
For example, if attended some sort of school but didn't disclose the experience. But at that time I didn't think it was a kind that must be disclosed and added the information about that period now. Still the Committee asks for further comment.

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:43 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Again, but in straightforward language, reads as if you got caught withholding negative information. If you want good advice, you need to share more detailed information.
Agreed. Omitting "educational background" can mean a lot of things, and there's a big difference in accidentally omitting a community college where you took a summer class once for fun because you didn't think it was important enough to be included and intentionally omitting a college you went to and flunked out/got suspended or expelled from/etc. For anyone on TT to help you, you've gotta give more information about the circumstances.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:45 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Sounds as if there may be a reasonable presumption that the omission was an intentional act to cover-up unfavorable information. Ironically, your omissions in this thread may produce incorrect, although well-intentioned, advice. Poor judgment at best.
+1

I reread to be sure I wasn't missing anything. What specifically did you omit?

edit: my phone rang before I hit submit, and then I didn't look it over to see all those who beat me to it!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:46 pm

"Some sort of school" & "experience" generate speculation. Was it a terrorist camp in Afghanistan ? Or a school experience in lieu of punishment for some type of infraction or offense ? Or a survivalists' camp that got you on an FBI watchlist ?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”